Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 04, 2022, 08:09:36 PM
QuoteNEXTA
@nexta_tv
According to "Kommersant", most #Russian airlines received notification from #European lessors about the termination of reinsurance contracts on the night of March 8. Aviators interpret this as an inability to perform flights.

Relatedly the CEOs of several Russian airlines, including Aeroflot have stepped down.

Everyone is getting in there to put the boot in. It's quite something to behold.

According to Business Insider, most of the Kremlin were surprised by the invasion - especially the scope - and completely shocked by the Western response. And, it seems, Putin is furious.

Relevant excerpt:
QuoteThe Kremlin is particularly concerned by its ousting from SWIFT, the freezing of Russian foreign reserves, including by the US, and the exit of a string of Western companies from Russia, Agency reported.

"Everything is fucked," a source close to Putin's administration told the outlet.

Before the invasion, one of the officials told Agency, Kremlin officials held several meetings about sanctions and that stress tests were conducted on large companies in case Russia was disconnected from SWIFT.

An official went on to tell Agency that Kremlin officials cannot resign from their posts because it would be seen as a betrayal. "You can only quit to prison," they said.

https://www.businessinsider.com/kremlin-staff-didnt-expect-ukraine-invasion-sanctions-shock-report-2022-3?utm_source=reddit.com

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 04, 2022, 09:54:54 AMIsn't Wagner Group still active in Africa?  It would be a real shame if something happened to their cadres there. 
Plausible deniability is a 2 way street.

I think I read that most of the Wagners deployed in Africa were taken back to Russia in january and most of them infiltrated Ukraine ahead of the invasion and are hanging around Kiev with the specific mission of assasinating Zelensky and other Ukranian leaders. There were reports earlier this week about Zelensky having survived already three attempts on his life by Wagner and Chechen units, apparently thwarted because the Ukranian government have FSB sources that are against the war and are feeding them intel on those units.

QuotePresident Zelensky has survived at least three assassination attempts in the past week, The Times has learnt.

Two different outfits have been sent to kill the Ukrainian president — mercenaries of the Kremlin-backed Wagner group and Chechen special forces. Both have been thwarted by anti-war elements within Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB).

Wagner mercenaries in Kyiv have sustained losses during their attempts and are said to have been alarmed by how accurately the Ukrainians had anticipated their moves. A source close to the group said it was "eerie" how well briefed Zelensky's security team appeared to be.

Quote from: Syt on March 04, 2022, 11:00:28 AMAustria pledges to raise military spending. To 1% of GDP (currently 0.74%), starting next year. That seems ... modest. Esp. since Austrian military equipment and maintenance is possibly in worse shape than the German one.

But with Austria not being in NATO and joining it not being in the cards, how's the country structuring its military cooperation with partners? Exclusively through the EU?

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 04, 2022, 12:05:05 PMThere's been lots of inchoate tallk of new EU measures (although this is constitutionally problematic for some member states) or a wider European security arrangement (including the UK), but my suspicion is whatever happens will probably build off those minilateral deeper relations.

(...)

There's talk about more funding for the Defence Forces in Ireland which I would never imagine. It's proving pretty contentious because of the politics of military neutrality in Ireland  but it's the first time I've seen politicians making a case for more funding.

I have the feeling that after this crisis is over and depending on the final results several European countries will have to deeply evaluate their stance towards military alliances, state neutrality and things like that. Things like constitutionally enforced neutrality made sense in a post-WWII world, but they might not make sense anymore because the post-WWII/post-Cold War world might be over and we might be entering in a new geopolitical era. Sweden and Finland are already veering into joining NATO, but what about Austria's "permanent neutrality"? Or Ireland's case. If the EU managed to pull off something resembling a common army it might do the trick, but that remains to be seen.

Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2022, 12:18:00 PMOne question I've not seen addressed is why Putin waited until now to pull this move. Why not do it when Trump was still president? There is no way the blowback would have been as damaging to Russia if Trump was still around to screw up US diplomacy.

I think this is maybe one of the questions that future historians will have to face in the future, what made Putin pull the trigger at this very moment. I think he has repeated more than once something akin to "we were running out of time", or something to that effect, so I guess that he thought that if he didn't act now, Ukraine would drift far too westwards for him to recitfy that, I imagine.

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on March 04, 2022, 03:46:02 PMNow the gloves are coming off:

Canadian diner removes poutine from name because it sounds like Putin
a popular Canadian dish

:rolleyes:

cultural appropriation to the thousand.  Pfft,  as if Canadians knew anything of gastronomy...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2022, 07:45:36 PMAccording to this thread being a Russian general is a very dangerous enterprise.  :ph34r:
so few died from natural causes, that you can definately conclude 2 things:
1) Russian roads are extremely dangerous
2) Vodka is good for your health

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

I know this isn't the first internet war but man it is weird to have day to day first hand accounts and video from a war as it happens. Even in 2003 in Iraq that didn't really happen.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2022, 09:30:07 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2022, 07:45:36 PMAccording to this thread being a Russian general is a very dangerous enterprise.  :ph34r:

Just hope they don't get one who was counting on being the guy we were all hoping for who leads the coup.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2022, 12:10:47 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2022, 09:30:07 PM

Just hope they don't get one who was counting on being the guy we were all hoping for who leads the coup.
I'm not holding my breath for a Russian general to openly revolt against the current government.  Not until Putin decides to use nukes, anyway.

viper37

celedhring

Regarding Russia's attempts to build a "Great Firewall", my Russian friend is using Instagram stories to share a bunch of anti-war content. Lots of videos from tik-tokers, too. I suppose those might come next, but IG models are probably one of the few export industries remaining in Russia at this moment.

Jacob

The Bayraktar video is pretty catchy. Here's another music video attacking the morale of the VDV paratroopers:

(the video is evidently genuine Russian VDV propaganda, with... ahem... updated subtitles)

Josquius

Moldova has become an official EU candidate now it seems.
Best response I've seen.
"Ironic. Russia is the reason for the UK leaving the EU and now its the reason for a bunch of other countries joining"
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2022, 04:09:39 AMMoldova has become an official EU candidate now it seems.

No, they've just submitted their application.  It is yet to be accepted.