Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Kershon has fallen.  Mariopol is barely holding its ground.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on March 02, 2022, 11:28:34 PMKershon has fallen.  Mariopol is barely holding its ground.

What's your source?

I know the NYT has said that, but I've seen other accounts that the Ukrainian government says there's still fighting in Kherson.

DGuller

I think that pretty much everyone has now conceded that Kherson has been captured, or at least the administrative buildings have been.  Sounds like Mariopol is just being leveled to the ground by artillery.  I wonder if that's a punishment to it for holding out during the 2014 war.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2022, 01:30:08 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 02, 2022, 01:20:27 PMThat's a fair point, though I'm not just going off Twitter, but also reports from my family of people who speak to their friends/relatives living in Russia. 

I do get a feeling that a lot of Westerns think that if they just manage to get truthful information into Russia, then it'll immediately be like the ending of XCOM 2, where people all at once realize they've been lied to and decide to rebel within 2 minutes.  You'll find that Russians are well aware of the propaganda that we call truth, they're not stupid.  They're well aware that some people claim that it's Russia and not Ukraine that's shelling Kharkiv, they're just too savvy to buy into that nonsense and are disappointed that you aren't.

So like Gaijin de Moscu, for example.

Has he even posted since the invasion or is he hiding in shame?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2022, 11:34:01 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 02, 2022, 11:28:34 PMKershon has fallen.  Mariopol is barely holding its ground.

What's your source?

I know the NYT has said that, but I've seen other accounts that the Ukrainian government says there's still fighting in Kherson.
La Presse:
https://www.lapresse.ca/international/europe/2022-03-02/guerre-en-ukraine/prise-de-kherson-par-l-armee-russe-discussions-sur-un-cessez-le-feu.php

Kherson take by Russian: discussions about a cease-fire underway

That "fall" seems reliable, the cease-fire, I won't hold my breath.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 03, 2022, 12:45:27 AM
Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2022, 01:30:08 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 02, 2022, 01:20:27 PMThat's a fair point, though I'm not just going off Twitter, but also reports from my family of people who speak to their friends/relatives living in Russia. 

I do get a feeling that a lot of Westerns think that if they just manage to get truthful information into Russia, then it'll immediately be like the ending of XCOM 2, where people all at once realize they've been lied to and decide to rebel within 2 minutes.  You'll find that Russians are well aware of the propaganda that we call truth, they're not stupid.  They're well aware that some people claim that it's Russia and not Ukraine that's shelling Kharkiv, they're just too savvy to buy into that nonsense and are disappointed that you aren't.

So like Gaijin de Moscu, for example.

Has he even posted since the invasion or is he hiding in shame?
I think he left before the invasion began.

celedhring

Looks like the Russians are going to land in Odessa today.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1499270570923417603

That was probably in the cards whenever they took Kherson.

Syt

The (privately owned) wall behind the Russian war memorial (also occasionally called Memorial to the Unknown Looter) has been painted in Ukrainian colors.

Bit meek, but ok. Russian embassy says it's a great way of symbolizing the sacrifice of Russians and Ukrainians in ridding Europe of Fascism.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Something for the :tinfoil: brigade - a 2015 article about Putin's "real" mother (an unwed Georgian woman), and how investigators trying uncover the facts have met untimely ends:

https://www.zeit.de/feature/vladimir-putin-mother
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

So the one big area of Russia's economy that is still unsanctioned is energy - and my understanding is we're actually seeing record highs of imports into Europe (I think this is almost automated/algorithmic because of pricing) through the pipelines. But given the rest of the sanctions how does this actually get paid for? How does it work?

I'm very simple but in my head if you basically cut off the financial system then there's no way to pay for gas so there's a knock-on sanction to energy. But that's not the case so how does it work?:hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 03, 2022, 07:05:59 AMSo the one big area of Russia's economy that is still unsanctioned is energy - and my understanding is we're actually seeing record highs of imports into Europe (I think this is almost automated/algorithmic because of pricing) through the pipelines. But given the rest of the sanctions how does this actually get paid for? How does it work?

I'm very simple but in my head if you basically cut off the financial system then there's no way to pay for gas so there's a knock-on sanction to energy. But that's not the case so how does it work?:hmm:

I remember reading about the pros and cons of taking Russia off SWITCH that it would not affect paying Russia for gas and other resources, but can't remember why.  :hmm: