Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Short video of captured Russian soldiers: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZZMgyBa

Their story is basically - was called up, told to go for training, now I'm in Ukraine. Non military folks like teacher or school custodian.

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on March 02, 2022, 01:30:21 PMIt's not accidental.  Putin's promotion of Covid conspiracy theories should've been regarded as a biological warfare.
Against his own people? Russia is among the worst hit countries in the world.

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on March 02, 2022, 01:11:10 PMThe vote at the UN:

With China and India abstaining, and Russia and a lot of Africa not going along, that is probably close to half the world's population's representatives not willing to condemn an invasion of a neighboring country without bothering to come up with a pretext.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Novaya Gazeta comes out against the war. I wonder how long they'll continue publishing.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on March 02, 2022, 01:51:35 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 02, 2022, 01:30:21 PMIt's not accidental.  Putin's promotion of Covid conspiracy theories should've been regarded as a biological warfare.
Against his own people? Russia is among the worst hit countries in the world.
I'm sure he didn't count on the wind of propaganda blowing back in his direction, he's not always good at strategy.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2022, 01:54:29 PMNovaya Gazeta comes out against the war. I wonder how long they'll continue publishing.

Probably a matter of hours and not even days.  The last two independent TV stations have been closed recently.

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2022, 01:50:19 PMShort video of captured Russian soldiers: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZZMgyBa

Their story is basically - was called up, told to go for training, now I'm in Ukraine. Non military folks like teacher or school custodian.

Aren't these interviews flirting with geneva convention violations?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2022, 01:54:29 PMNovaya Gazeta comes out against the war. I wonder how long they'll continue publishing.

NG have always been pretty critical, IIRC, and several of their journalists were killed over the years. Was it them who put it to a vote to their subscribers if they should continue covering the war (and calling it a war) over threats of being shut down?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

That was their addition on Thursday or Friday I think.

The striking thing was that it was a dual Russian and Ukrainian edition.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Georgia now wants to join the EU as well.

Syt

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1499077601712869379?s=20&t=OaUPhTDX0iAg4MsmsSwdxQ

QuoteCharles Lister
@Charles_Lister

According to U.S. officials speaking today, ~100,000 #Russia troops inside #Ukraine (~70% of its entire deployed force) is running out, or has already run out of fuel & food.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Video:

https://twitter.com/rblx_eddy/status/1499004379948531716?s=20&t=OaUPhTDX0iAg4MsmsSwdxQ

QuoteYoung Russian soldier, sent to die, surrendered. He was given food and something to drink, and was allowed to call his family. He cries because this is not his war, it's Putin's.
#Ukraine #Russia
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

This is magnificent  :lol:

QuoteNo need to declare captured Russian tanks, other equipment of invaders as income – NAPC

Ukraine's National Agency for the Protection against Corruption (NAPC) has declared that captured Russian tanks and other equipment are not subject to declaration.

"Have you captured a Russian tank or armored personnel carrier and are worried about how to declare it? Keep calm and continue to defend the Motherland! There is no need to declare the captured Russian tanks and other equipment, because the cost of this ... does not exceed 100 living wages (UAH 248,100)," NAPC's press service said.

Also, there is no need in this case to submit reports of significant changes in property status within 10 days.

"Speaking by the letter of the law, combat trophies are not subject to reflection in the declaration for the following reasons: they were acquired not as a result of the conclusion of any type of transaction, but in connection with the full-scale aggression of the Russian Federation on February 24, 2022 against the independent and sovereign Ukrainian state as a continuation the insidious attack of the Russian Federation on Ukraine launched in 2014. Thanks to the courage and victory of the defenders of the Ukrainian state, enemy military equipment usually comes to you already destroyed and disabled, which makes it impossible to evaluate it in accordance with the law On the valuation of property, property rights and professional valuation activities in Ukraine. Therefore, it is also impossible to find out how much such property costs," the NACP said.

At the same time, the NACP continues to ensure the technical possibility of providing notifications of significant changes in the property status for the acquisition of objects seized from the Russian army, if there is a desire to declare same.

https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/804441.html

celedhring

They just applied to the EU, the Frugals won't stand for this.

Tamas

It seem Mariupol will be the first city destroyed, they have been under heavy shelling the whole day, apparently.