News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 12, 2013, 06:39:05 PM
I'll never get the American frothing over 'act of terror'. I remember during the Boston bombing seeing people debating whether it was a terrorist act and whether Obama should say that etc. I couldn't work out what else it could be :blink:

It was
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

alfred russel

I'll never get the American frothing over 'act of terror'. I remember during the Boston bombing seeing people debating whether it was a terrorist act and whether Obama should say that etc. I couldn't work out what else it could be :blink:

My sense is that Obama is reluctant to attribute anything to terrorist networks / terrorism until all the evidence is in considering what happened in the last administration. It is better to avoid rushing to judgments that in the recent past were used to go to war, torture people, etc. (and also judgments of dubious accuracy in some cases).

The result is Republicans get their panties in a wad over the timetable used by Obama to label things terrorism.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on May 12, 2013, 06:53:56 PM

My sense is that Obama is reluctant to attribute anything to terrorist networks / terrorism until all the evidence is in considering what happened in the last administration. It is better to avoid rushing to judgments that in the recent past were used to go to war, torture people, etc. (and also judgments of dubious accuracy in some cases).

The result is Republicans get their panties in a wad over the timetable used by Obama to label things terrorism.

The Obama Administration is a cautious one, one that acts with deliberation and waits for all the facts to come in;  we've seen it regarding other issues, not simply in foreign policy.

Although, considering the uproar over 4 dead State Department civilians in an unfortunate clusterfuck of a complex and confusing quagmire, I can only imagine how much Congress is chomping at the bit to get to the bottom of the intelligence failures and policy faults that led to over 3,500 US deaths in Iraq.  I'm sure they will find the parties responsible for that, and act accordingly.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2013, 04:53:10 PM
This is a good point, one I hadn't considered.  It is after all basic human nature, when confronted with a sudden deluge of work which can not possibly be accomplished in the time allotted, to ask for additional work.

For low-level Federal paper pushers qualifying applications, yeah.  That's the counter-intuitiveness of government work for you.

Razgovory

I suppose it's possible when he was talking about terror he was actually talking about his own personal terror of bees or growing old alone.  That's rather unlikely in the middle of a speech about a recent attack on the US, but the GOP believe all sorts of odd things.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Did you take a look at Before's timeline Shelf?  I think it's a safe bet that the person or people who put it together had an axe to grind, but it does present the germ of a reasonable critique of the Obama administration's message in the wake of the attack.  It asserts that in the days immediately following, the administration consistently pushed the story of the attack arising spontaneously due to the Mohammed video.  That's an entirely different message than "it is to early to tell for sure."

Phillip V

Obama administration did not want a revealed terrorist attack on Benghazi to make him look weak / failure on foreign policy, so he and Rice blamed it on a Youtube video for as long as possible.

11B4V

Quote from: Phillip V on May 13, 2013, 12:02:28 AM
Obama administration did not want a revealed terrorist attack on Benghazi to make him look weak / failure on foreign policy, so he and Rice blamed it on a Youtube video for as long as possible.

:yes: There was an election looming. Obama played politics even at the expense of his dead ambassador. Then probably had a loyal minion (Rice) fall on her sword in a further deflection. She either new going in or was just a loyal dope. What a great guy, eh? 
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

Eleven Bravo has been inhaling too much gunpowder :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

Quote from: katmai on May 13, 2013, 01:03:50 AM
Eleven Bravo has been inhaling too much gunpowder :(

:lol: No, and we'll see. It a'int played out yet.

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 12:47:29 AM

:yes: There was an election looming. Obama played politics even at the expense of his dead ambassador. Then probably had a loyal minion (Rice) fall on her sword in a further deflection. She either new going in or was just a loyal dope. What a great guy, eh? 

How is that at the expense of anyone? Would the dead ambassador come back from the dead if Obama had said it was terrorism?

How is him NOT saying it is terrorism help him anyway?

It doesn't even make any sense if it is true. Beghazi being a terrorist attack isn't going to make everyone not vote for Obama - if anything, historically it has the opposite effect.

Oh never mind, this has become "revealed truth" to the nutjobs. It is up there with birth certificates and secret Islam. The only people it needs to convince are those who aren't interested in anything BUT being convinced.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Phillip V

Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2013, 01:16:20 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 12:47:29 AM

How is that at the expense of anyone? Would the dead ambassador come back from the dead if Obama had said it was terrorism?

How is him NOT saying it is terrorism help him anyway?

It doesn't even make any sense if it is true. Beghazi being a terrorist attack isn't going to make everyone not vote for Obama - if anything, historically it has the opposite effect.

Oh never mind, this has become "revealed truth" to the nutjobs. It is up there with birth certificates and secret Islam. The only people it needs to convince are those who aren't interested in anything BUT being convinced.

Relax.

George W. ran for reelection on his wars having prevented future terrorist attacks. "He kept us safe."

Obama ran for reelection on the same platform. "Killed Osama. Broke the terrorists."

Berkut

He ran on killing bin Laden, so if it comes out that it was bin Laden who killed the ambassdaor, then ok, you have a point.

He never ran on any claim that he has stopped all terrorism. That is just stupid. Terrorism in general was not even a primary issue in the election cycle, despite Benghazi.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Phillip V

Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2013, 01:24:20 AM
He ran on killing bin Laden, so if it comes out that it was bin Laden who killed the ambassdaor, then ok, you have a point.

He never ran on any claim that he has stopped all terrorism. That is just stupid. Terrorism in general was not even a primary issue in the election cycle, despite Benghazi.
The Obama campaign is utterly comprehensive and super cautious. Their approach is not broad despite what you think are the "primary issues". It is surgical and 24x7 both before and after elections. The White House paraded drone killings of top AQ lieutenants over and over. The surge in Afghanistan was justified on grounds that terrorist cells had been dismantled. That Obama had successfully settled Iraq.

And public opinion followed. Democrats are no longer seen as weak on defense and security as they were under the Bush Administration. You really need to give Obama more credit.

CountDeMoney

As the Monday morning news cycle opens up after the Sunday morning talking head shows, I would say that the one positive from this story is that it at least gets Benghazigate off the front page, but unfortunately it looks like everybody's insisting on making tangible connections between the two.  Newt Gingrich has been in rare form this morning.

So what's the buzz title going to be for this?  IRSgate? Cincinnatigate? 501(c)(4)gate?