News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

QuoteOn Friday, a top IRS official said the agency was "apologetic" for what she termed "absolutely inappropriate" actions by lower-level workers in selecting some conservative groups for extra scrutiny to determine whether their applications should be approved. The official, Lois Lerner, said that agency workers picked groups for extra scrutiny according to whether they had "tea party" or "patriot" in their names, among other criteria.

Why and were they acting on their own. I doubt it. IMO is what needs to be found out. Somebody has some shitty drawers.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 12, 2013, 04:53:27 PMThe public good requires that the IRS be a trusted (but obviously not loved) entity, there cannot be even the appearance that the IRS is used for political means by the party in control of the White House. For that reason, while I think the Inspector General from Treasury appears to have done an amazing job (and in fact deserves credit for uncovering this--something in itself that reinforces the integrity of Treasury and the IRS), we do need some level of scrutiny to produce "public assurance" that this was indeed what it appears to be--overzealous bureaucrats.
Exactly. There needs to be a serious investigation at the very least. On what's come out so far I agree Shulman's position looks very difficult.

As I say it may not necessarily be orders from the White House. A politicisation of the IRS would be a bad thing, say bureaucrats doing the job they think the politicians want and that should be investigated and addressed.

There may be nothing there but I think this certainly merits looking into. No doubt we'll now get a calm and forensic analysis from a Congressional committee :lol:

QuoteObama administration is not transparent. Oh wait, that was a campaign promise was it not?
The more Obama breaks promises to transparency freaks, environmentalists and civil libertarians the more he's doing a good job :P
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 12, 2013, 05:05:26 PM
QuoteObama administration is not transparent. Oh wait, that was a campaign promise was it not?
The more Obama breaks promises, to transparency freaks, environmentalists and civil libertarians the more he's doing a good job :P

Yes, that's what the sheepeople think. Oops and say

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

No doubt we'll now get a calm and forensic analysis from a Congressional committee :lol:

:D

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2013, 05:10:05 PM
No doubt we'll now get a calm and forensic analysis from a Congressional committee :lol:

:D

True. Hope it is epic entertainment.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on May 12, 2013, 05:11:12 PM

They're always the purest crap.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2013, 05:13:16 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 12, 2013, 05:11:12 PM

They're always the purest crap.
Yeah and I don't think we can hope for much joy from political grandstanders vs accountants. At least Galloway was entertaining :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on May 12, 2013, 04:01:34 PM
Typical Obama BS. Like Benghazi. Dead Amassador, just a protest over a film, not a teerorist attack...... Oh wait the elections over, it's a terrorist attack.

Obama=Nothing to see here

Except he said it was a terrorist attack the next day.  Typical hillbilly ignorance.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Did Darrell Issa demand an investigation when it was reveal that the FBI was spying on anti-war groups?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2013, 05:56:38 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 12, 2013, 04:01:34 PM
Typical Obama BS. Like Benghazi. Dead Amassador, just a protest over a film, not a teerorist attack...... Oh wait the elections over, it's a terrorist attack.

Obama=Nothing to see here

Except he said it was a terrorist attack the next day.  Typical hillbilly ignorance.

He did? Well blow me down.

Razgovory

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2013, 06:29:29 PM
Consider yourself, fully blown.

http://www.forextv.com/forex-news-story/full-transcript-of-obama-s-rose-garden-speech-after-sept-11-benghazi-attack

QuoteUnder the video is a press release later distributed by the Whitehouse that includes the word "terror" used in the generic sense, not referring to "terrorism" or "terrorist act".  The choice of words is not a trivial matter in White House parlance, and the word "terrorist act" has an historic and specific meaning.  Nor did any of the official Whitehouse statements in the following two weeks refer to "terrorist act."  Nor did President Obama tonight refer to the attack as a "terrorist act."  We maintain that there was a meaningful distinction in the use of the word that could have easily been dispelled and/or clarified tonight...it was not.

Nice try skippy. Oh and from your own link too.

Sheilbh

I'll never get the American frothing over 'act of terror'. I remember during the Boston bombing seeing people debating whether it was a terrorist act and whether Obama should say that etc. I couldn't work out what else it could be :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

That's an absurd attempt to split heirs.  "Yeah, he said, "terror", but in the super secret White House code he didn't actually mean "terror".  I should have looked at the the link more carefully, I seem to have accidentally picked a wingnut sight.

11B4V