Main Menu

Battle of the Nations - Live steel fighting

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 08:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2013, 11:59:02 AM
Love the Russian soundtrack. :lol:

Thought that was absolutely perfect. :D

USA loses, 0-17. (I wish I knew what the scoring meant.)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DontSayBanana

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 12:00:03 PM
USA loses, 0-17. (I wish I knew what the scoring meant.)

Looks like submissions or KOs.  17 US on the ground, 0 Russians.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

:lol: Did any of you catch the guy dancing to the theme music there?  Very little that's funnier than a guy in full armor dancing. :D
Experience bij!

Syt

It looks a lot like my battles in Mount & Blade. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Damnit. Work got in the way and I missed this one. Good fight?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 12:05:10 PM
Damnit. Work got in the way and I missed this one. Good fight?

18-0, Belarus.
Experience bij!

merithyn

Razgovory

That is one fat knight.  A hog in armor.  Bertrand de Guesclin  reborn.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

So, the big countries on this are Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and Poland? I guess that vodka sales skyrocket in the host city.

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2013, 12:09:36 PM

Heh. I mentioned that several of my friends are there fighting, didn't I? Two of them gained more than 50 pounds for this battle... and lost something like 10-15% body fat. Those are big boys, alright... but not fat.

merithyn

Quote from: The Larch on May 09, 2013, 12:10:53 PM
So, the big countries on this are Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and Poland? I guess that vodka sales skyrocket in the host city.

It started with them three years ago. It's grown every year, but they're still the Big Teams because they've had the most practice and time in armor.

Syt

Looking at the participating national teams on their website, there's a number other countries (Israel, Germany, Austria, Luxembourg, Australia etc.), but it seems they have smaller teams and therefore don't participate in the mass battles.

They'd be fighting tomorrow in th 5vs5 and in the duels.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2013, 12:15:42 PM
Looking at the participating national teams on their website, there's a number other countries (Israel, Germany, Austria, Luxembourg, Australia etc.), but it seems they have smaller teams and therefore don't participate in the mass battles.

They'd be fighting tomorrow in th 5vs5 or the day after in the duels.

:yes: The team only has to have 8- big enough for 5v5, but not necessarily for mass battles.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 12:12:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2013, 12:09:36 PM

Heh. I mentioned that several of my friends are there fighting, didn't I? Two of them gained more than 50 pounds for this battle... and lost something like 10-15% body fat. Those are big boys, alright... but not fat.

Body fat isn't necessarily bad in this sort of combat.  Historically warriors wanted a good layer of fat to protect the muscle. And the guy I was looking at, muscles just don't grow that far out of the belly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2013, 12:15:42 PM

They'd be fighting tomorrow in th 5vs5 and in the duels.

Yeah, but the teams that Larch mentions are the big competitors. The USA team is getting better, but we're not up to those standards yet.