Battle of the Nations - Live steel fighting

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 08:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2013, 02:14:27 PM
Meri: dude on the left really looks the part (Mandingo less so).

Did he get head squooshing surgery for historical authenticity?

:lol:

Nope. That's just how Robert looks. :D The little hat really gives him a flat-head look, though, doesn't it?

I just noticed that our friend Brad isn't in the pic. He's a huge, muscular, bald guy that looks like a bruiser. In full armor, he's scary as hell. :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DontSayBanana

Superlightweight?  I'd be terrified of putting them in armor.  Hell, plate armor would weigh pretty much half as much as the fighter. :ph34r:
Experience bij!

merithyn

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 09, 2013, 02:25:24 PM
Superlightweight?  I'd be terrified of putting them in armor.  Hell, plate armor would weigh pretty much half as much as the fighter. :ph34r:

The armor the guys wear is around 30-45 pounds. It's not nearly as heavy as you think it is. The helm and chest are the heaviest.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 02:26:37 PM

The armor the guys wear is around 30-45 pounds. It's not nearly as heavy as you think it is. The helm and chest are the heaviest.

I guess I can see that- it does look like they forego the chainmail shirt and hood, which would probably make up the difference in the weight.
Experience bij!

Maximus

I don't know about this year, but last year Team USA average was something like 20 years older and 50 pounds heavier than their competition.

Maximus

Rob wasn't fighting today. I was reading his blog and he's not on the 21x21 team. He'll be fighting tomorrow in the 5x5s

merithyn

Okay. I really should read his blog during this, eh? :blush:

Valmy

Armor only got really heavy during the Renaissance when the armor was being made to stop bullets.  Before that it was pretty light, or at least alot lighter than one would think.  Actually slightly less than what modern soldiers carry around.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

Quote from: Jacob on May 09, 2013, 02:08:20 PM
So what are the rules?

The section on prohibited moves gives a good guide to the most effective medieval combat tactics.  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWVCOZgENY0
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

I would think the way to go, if you win by putting the guy down, is billhooks and other tripping weapons.

Jacob

I wonder if the flags on the backdrop represents the competing nations. I spotted both China and Japan in there, and of course Quebec.

Maximus

Quote from: Jacob on May 09, 2013, 05:42:15 PM
I wonder if the flags on the backdrop represents the competing nations. I spotted both China and Japan in there, and of course Quebec.
I hadn't noticed that Japan and China were there. Apparently there are 22 teams this year. There were 12 last year, 7 the year before and 4 the first year iirc.

Jacob

Quote from: Maximus on May 09, 2013, 07:12:36 PM
I hadn't noticed that Japan and China were there. Apparently there are 22 teams this year. There were 12 last year, 7 the year before and 4 the first year iirc.

I'm just judging the flags and the writing on the backdrop wall.

Josquius

I wonder if Japan and China are decked out in medieval European regailia or Asian stuff (which would be much cooler).

I'm glad Britain is united and not split.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Overview of teams:

http://battleofthenations.ua/index.php/viewers/introducing-the-national-teams-of-battle-of-the-nations-2013.html
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.