Battle of the Nations - Live steel fighting

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 08:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

That one Russian seems to have gotten a stern talking to by the refs after beating up the guy who was already down.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

That Italian dude is on the ground for quite some time now. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2013, 12:31:36 PM

Italian? :huh:

It's Italy vs. USA next.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Gotta admit that the USA has the coolest uniform out there. :cool:

Syt

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 12:42:58 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2013, 12:31:36 PM

Italian? :huh:

It's Italy vs. USA next.

Before the previous fight. From the Italy-Belarus(?) fight. At least his team mates shouted in Italian to each other. You could see him lying on the ground surrounded by medics occasionally, when the camrea swept across the field. It's why there was such a long break before the fight we just saw.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Which is probably also, why Italy only had 20 guys in the ITA-USA fight.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

I watched a few bouts... I'm surprised no one is doing a shield wall type formation.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 11:24:12 AM
They're the two teams to beat. Russia has won every year for the last three years, and they LOVE to let everyone know that. They pitched a fit when the US wanted to include a team, saying that since the US didn't have a medieval history, we shouldn't be allowed. :D

Whereas the Russians have an unfair advantage since they have nothing but a medievial history.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Uhm, does that one US-ian have a "sunwheel"/swastika on his shield? :unsure:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 09, 2013, 12:51:25 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 11:24:12 AM
They're the two teams to beat. Russia has won every year for the last three years, and they LOVE to let everyone know that. They pitched a fit when the US wanted to include a team, saying that since the US didn't have a medieval history, we shouldn't be allowed. :D

Whereas the Russians have an unfair advantage since they have nothing but a medievial history.

Well, I'm not surprised the sport originated in countries known for nationalist hooligan violence. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2013, 12:52:12 PM
Uhm, does that one US-ian have a "sunwheel"/swastika on his shield? :unsure:

Oh, I see it now. No, it's a pinwheel of arms. It's a pretty common medieval symbol for "might".

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on May 09, 2013, 12:51:05 PM
I watched a few bouts... I'm surprised no one is doing a shield wall type formation.

I think that last year the USA tried something like that and got decimated. The Russians and Poles just slam through shield walls.

Syt

Well, a shield wall makes sense if you stack them deep to provide resistance. Which you can't really with 21 dudes.
—Stephen Jay Gould

merithyn

This is going to be a good fight. Poland vs Belarus

Bel-A-RUS! Bel-A-RUS!

merithyn

Wow! They dented the shit out of that guy's helmet! He's gonna have a concussion....