News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grinning_Colossus

Bushes refuse to endorse Trump: http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-36214738

QuoteFormer US presidents George H W Bush and George W Bush will not endorse Donald Trump's candidacy for president, aides have told local media.
This marks a first for the 91-year-old former president Bush, who had endorsed Republicans in the past five elections.
Republican politicians are struggling to define their support, or lack thereof, for Donald Trump.
Mr Trump's remaining opponents dropped out earlier this week leaving him as the presumptive Republican nominee.
Both Bush men had previously campaigned this year for former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, who exited the race in February.
They had each supported past Republican presidential nominees John McCain in 2008 and Mitt Romney in 2012.
Although neither former president has openly attacked Mr Trump or his policy proposals, George W Bush made a veiled criticism at a campaign event for his younger brother saying, "The strongest person usually isn't the loudest one in the room".
"I understand that Americans are angry and frustrated. But we do not need someone in the Oval Office who mirrors and inflames our anger and frustration," George W Bush told the South Carolina audience.

Are they: #withher?  :ph34r:
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Valmy

They have been pretty quiet ever since Dubya left office. I don't expect that to change.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grinning_Colossus

They both endorsed McCain and Romney, though, so it isn't an issue of the family being too low-energy to say anything.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2016, 02:45:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2016, 02:43:35 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2016, 02:36:44 PM
:bleeding:  Lapdogs.

Oh does that offend you?

My apologies -_-

Trump will be the next POTUS. It is my prediction.

Marti's French move makes sense now.  Better to learn French than Russian, like his fellow Poles will be doing under a Trump presidency.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on May 05, 2016, 03:15:51 AM
But Trump's policies (even those that seemingly look like law-and-order policies, like his stance on illegal immigration) are actually aimed at helping the lower middle class/working class.

No they aren't - it's standard tax cuts for the rich crap - similar to the Cruz plan.  The working class will lose out.
Illegal immigration is a red herring - illegal immigration is down and IIs for the most part are occupying jobs that the LMC is not competing for.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 05, 2016, 12:22:57 PM
IIs for the most part are occupying jobs that the LMC is not competing for.

They might compete for them if the jobs paid better. Upward pressure on wages lifts all (domestic) proletarian boats.

Barrister

Illegal immigration is a red herring - illegal immigration is down and IIs for the most part are occupying jobs that the LMC is not competing for.

While that is the conventional wisdom, it has come under attack.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/01/does-immigration-harm-working-americans/384060/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2016, 01:10:28 PM
While that is the conventional wisdom, it has come under attack.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/01/does-immigration-harm-working-americans/384060/

As the article points out, it's not "conventional wisdom" its the majority view among economics.  It hasn't "come under attack" - this a longstanding debate with the Borjas articles going back to the 80s.

Also that article is about immigration generally, not illegal immigration.  Non-illegal immigrants are competing in a broader job pool.  One exception is certain semi-skilled construction trades where IIs may be competing with working class natives.  But there is a not a lot of native crowding out for migrant farm labor (for example).
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on May 05, 2016, 12:59:05 PM
IIs for the most part are occupying jobs that the LMC is not competing for.

They might compete for them if the jobs paid better. Upward pressure on wages lifts all (domestic) proletarian boats.

Higher prices also means less demand. 
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

What kind of freak would come under attack?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Phillip V

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2016, 11:47:04 AM
They have been pretty quiet ever since Dubya left office. I don't expect that to change.
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on May 05, 2016, 11:50:46 AM
They both endorsed McCain and Romney, though, so it isn't an issue of the family being too low-energy to say anything.

Have you both forgotten how Trump humiliated Jeb! and pissed on Dubya multiple times live on national TV?

The Bush Family has clearly not forgotten, but I also don't give a shit about their silent tears.

Martinus

The latest tweet from the Donald:

QuoteHappy Cinco de Mayo! The best taco bowls are made in Trump Tower Grill. I love Hispanics!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

derspiess

Hey I love Hispandexes, too!  #trumptrain
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus