Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

sbr

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 01, 2016, 08:04:50 PM
"Turned"?

Right?  I have "only" been around for 7 years, but Marti has never been likable, just different flavors of unlikable.  This current version is rather amusing, probably  because it is so unexpected and unlikable.

Eddie Teach

I like trolling Marty better than looking-to-be-offended-and-lashing-out-wildly Marty.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on May 01, 2016, 07:52:29 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 01, 2016, 12:31:04 AM
See, this is the reason why I kinda joke-support Trump - all these bitches deserve to have their dreams crushed.

You have turned into a truly unpleasant human being.

That's great coming from a guy who got his own emoji to celebrate his abrasiveness.  :lol:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Phillip V on May 01, 2016, 01:18:54 PM
Predictions for Indiana on Tuesday?

Polls are all over the place.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/in/indiana_republican_presidential_primary-5786.html

Looks like one outlier in Cruz's favor, while the rest are a solid to strong Trump lead.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

QuoteBernie Sanders begins making case to Hillary Clinton's superdelegates

I can't but help feeling that he has now fallen into the pit of ego. He also said that if it is super delegates that give Hillary enough delegates to get the nomination - that's really a contested convention.

WTF is he doing?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 02, 2016, 02:21:17 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on May 01, 2016, 01:18:54 PM
Predictions for Indiana on Tuesday?

Polls are all over the place.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/in/indiana_republican_presidential_primary-5786.html

Looks like one outlier in Cruz's favor, while the rest are a solid to strong Trump lead.

538's poll math gives Trump a clear advantage. Even their "polls plus lots of stuff we don't really disclose" math has reversed course and now gives Trump a small advantage, despite having projected Cruz as winner for nearly all past weeks.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/primary-forecast/indiana-republican/#polls-only

garbon

Well they don't disclose exactly what they do but they do note what the 'plus' consists of.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2016, 03:39:35 AM

I can't but help feeling that he has now fallen into the pit of ego. He also said that if it is super delegates that give Hillary enough delegates to get the nomination - that's really a contested convention.

WTF is he doing?

I think hes a humble man who has spent his life in the service of others and stayed on the back burner. Now in his old age he has tapped into a grassroots movement of a size no one could predict and he finds the attention intoxicating.  He wants it go to on as long as possible so he can bathe in its glow.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2016, 03:47:09 AM
Well they don't disclose exactly what they do but they do note what the 'plus' consists of.

I always liked how upfront they are about how they weight pollsters, etc... in their regular model, it's all very clear in that wonky 538 way. So the "polls plus" model seems strangely obscurantist when conveying how they come up with those numbers.

That said, I haven't stopped and examined whether it's been more or less accurate than their regular poll model. I suppose they will run a postmortem themselves once it's all done and dusted.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2016, 03:39:35 AM

WTF is he doing?

It's not ego, it's just sour grapes at this point.  Absolutely nothing positive to be gained at this point.

jimmy olsen

A fantastic (albeit very long) article on the dangers that Trump poses to our democracy. Has some of the best Plato references I've seen.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/04/america-tyranny-donald-trump.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 02, 2016, 05:52:32 AM
Has some of the best Plato references I've seen.

They have the best Plato words!

Kleves

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 02, 2016, 05:13:50 AM
It's not ego, it's just sour grapes at this point.  Absolutely nothing positive to be gained at this point.
The right is doing its level best to give Hillary the election. The left appears to be trying to give it right back.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Martinus

Quote from: Kleves on May 02, 2016, 07:40:41 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 02, 2016, 05:13:50 AM
The right is doing its level best to give Hillary the election. The left appears to be trying to give it right back.

Yup, elections would have been much simpler if the party establishment were able to ignore the voters.