News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

The math seems daunting.  Even if Trump flips key swing states such as Ohio and Florida, he needs to scramble the electoral map in weird ways we have not seen in a while, such as take Rust Belt states like Michigan or Pennsylvania.

celedhring

Well, in principle, his anti-trade, anti-foreigners-who-steal-our-jobs platform seems suited to the rust belt.

Grinning_Colossus

Trump can flip PA, I think. It's a very Trumpian state. In any case, I suspect that this year's electoral map will look very different from the normal post-96 alignment.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

dps

Take that map and flip Virginia, and Trump wins.  The Republican nominee taking Virginia doesn't seem that weird to me.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on March 19, 2016, 09:16:12 AM
For some reason I always get a CAPTCHA when visiting Trump's website. I guess they don't trust foreigners... :hmm:

I just get to go to the page while on my UK phone. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on March 19, 2016, 10:39:41 AM
In any case, I suspect that this year's electoral map will look very different from the normal post-96 alignment.

I don't think the differences will be that great. Maybe he wins Michigan and Pennsylvania and loses Virginia and Colorado. That's still 90% of states following the pattern.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 19, 2016, 10:53:26 AM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on March 19, 2016, 10:39:41 AM
In any case, I suspect that this year's electoral map will look very different from the normal post-96 alignment.

I don't think the differences will be that great. Maybe he wins Michigan and Pennsylvania and loses Virginia and Colorado. That's still 90% of states following the pattern.

That's enough to give him victory though.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on March 19, 2016, 10:39:19 AM
Well, in principle, his anti-trade, anti-foreigners-who-steal-our-jobs platform seems suited to the rust belt.

I don't think he will take IL though.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on March 19, 2016, 11:17:40 AM
That's enough to give him victory though.

He could also not pick up the blue Rust Belt states and drop a couple others(Missouri, New Hampshire, Florida maybe). But assuming the election is close in votes, the map will look fairly similar to previous elections.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on March 19, 2016, 11:19:06 AM

I don't think he will take IL though.

Hillary's originally from Chicago.  If she loses Illinois, she'll be getting routed--the electoral map will look similar to 1980.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on March 19, 2016, 11:36:03 AM
Hillary's originally from Chicago.  If she loses Illinois, she'll be getting routed--the electoral map will look similar to 1980.

Perhaps, but only because it's such a blue state. Home state advantage for people who left after college isn't that great.

Romney was fairly close though he lost both Massachusetts and Michigan.

Grinning_Colossus

Why not compromise and ban both Zionism and anti-Zionism at the UCs? Since they're public universities, I'm sure they can demonstrate a compelling state interest in doing so.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Jaron

Utah will probably go blue unless Cruz is the nominee. Trump is deeply unpopular here because of his treatment of Mitt Romney and his attacks on the LDS church.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach