News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Malthus on February 29, 2016, 04:19:38 PM

Problem is, at the end of the day being president is a job, and there is no indication that Trump would be anything but a disaster at doing it. Is that worth a few laughs?

That actually may not matter to the masses. Hopefully it will during the GE crunch time.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Zanza

The rational part of me wants Hillary to win as she seems to be a reasonable, experienced politician where you can roughly estimate what you'll get. Especially foreign policy.

But the bored part of me finds the whole Trump story entertaining and the sheer horror he seems to cause in his opponents is amusing me. So I can see why people might vote for him for the lulz.

Legbiter

I get the impression lots of people enjoy voting for Trump simply for the lulz. They get a kick out of seeing the usual suspects in the media and other establishment types freaking out about it.

Probably more of an icing on the cake. His service to the Republic in getting rid of Jeb! is considerable.

Also after Super Trump day:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on February 29, 2016, 02:02:59 PM
Isn't that pretty much what is expected? Florida, Ohio, and North Carolina are all purple states.

Based on those numbers, one would think that if a Trump vs. Clinton general election were held tomorrow, Trump would quite possibly get a majority in the electoral college. So no, that is not what I expected.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Phillip V

I get the impression lots of people enjoy voting for Trump simply for the lulz. They get a kick out of seeing the usual suspects in the media and other establishment types freaking out about it.

Problem is, at the end of the day being president is a job, and there is no indication that Trump would be anything but a disaster at doing it. Is that worth a few laughs?

16 years of Bush and Obama has not done much economically (and debatably other areas) for the average American on both sides of the political spectrum.  Why not say fuck you to "the establishment" and see what happens?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on February 29, 2016, 04:02:24 PM
Those terms did not even exist back then. I am talking about the current political alignments. I mean sure New York went Federalist in 1796 but I don't think I can call them a...erm...wait did the Federalists have a color?

There have been very minor shifts since 1984.

But ok, let's look at 2008. It was a near-landslide victory for the Dems, Obama's margin was around 10 million votes. Because it was such a lopsided victory, Obama managed to win North Carolina & Indiana. This doesn't make them swing states any more than Reagan picking up Massachusetts twice made it one. Look at the other politicians Massachusetts elected back then: Ted Kennedy, Tip O'Neill, Michael Dukakis, Barney Frank. They were a left-leaning state, that's not something that's changed, but voted for Reagan anyway. Because everyone did.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

It was pretty close in 2012 though. So projecting a similar Republican margin in 2016 was not unexpected. That is all I was saying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Phillip V on February 29, 2016, 04:38:17 PM

16 years of Bush and Obama has not done much economically (and debatably other areas) for the average American on both sides of the political spectrum.  Why not say fuck you to "the establishment" and see what happens?

Because, while stuff could always be better, it could also get a hell of a lot worse for the average person?

It is hard to imagine how electing a blowhard whose main attraction appears to be that he is hilariously obnoxious, and who has seemingly no interest whatsoever in the dull details of policy, will end well for anyone.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Because that's immature and counterproductive?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Most people seem to think that politics actually don't have much of an effect on their personal life.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Zanza on February 29, 2016, 04:56:23 PM
Most people seem to think that politics actually don't have much of an effect on their personal life.

There can't be that many mono's in the world. :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 29, 2016, 04:48:04 PM

One can make a rather persuasive argument that what is counterproductive is doing the same thing over and over again in the hopes of getting a different result.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: Berkut on February 29, 2016, 06:21:08 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 29, 2016, 04:48:04 PM

One can make a rather persuasive argument that what is counterproductive is doing the same thing over and over again in the hopes of getting a different result.

Sure, but just because you've realized that what you've been doing isn't working and you need to try something else doesn't mean that you have to make a stupid choice as to what that "something else" is going to be.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on February 29, 2016, 01:35:35 PM
So I went to check the general election polling.

All are Trump v. Clinton (sources are the latest state poll at realclearpolitics--all within the last week) :

Michigan: Clinton +5%
Georgia: Trump +9%
Florida: Trump +2%
Ohio: Trump +2%
North Carolina: Trump +2%

Those are all the states polled.

Quite possibly it isn't just the republicans and the whole country has gone insane?
That puts him at 253 EV on 270 to win, to close for comfort.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

The Donald says he will save Social Security by cutting out fraud, waste, and abuse.