News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: alfred russel on February 29, 2016, 01:35:35 PM
So I went to check the general election polling.

All are Trump v. Clinton (sources are the latest state poll at realclearpolitics--all within the last week) :

Michigan: Clinton +5%
Georgia: Trump +9%
Florida: Trump +2%
Ohio: Trump +2%
North Carolina: Trump +2%

Those are all the states polled.

Quite possibly it isn't just the republicans and the whole country has gone insane?
The Establishment has gone insane.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on February 29, 2016, 02:02:59 PM
Isn't that pretty much what is expected? Florida, Ohio, and North Carolina are all purple states.

NC has only gone blue once since Reagan.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 29, 2016, 02:08:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 29, 2016, 02:02:59 PM
Isn't that pretty much what is expected? Florida, Ohio, and North Carolina are all purple states.

NC has only gone blue once since Reagan.

And Virginia used to be reliably Republican as well. But things have changed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on February 29, 2016, 02:11:30 PM
And Virginia used to be reliably Republican as well. But things have changed.

They voted for Romney while the country went for Obama. That is our most recent data point. :contract:

2008 wasn't that close, and it had record levels of black turnout, and NC went for Obama by 3 tenths of a point. That was the first time it had gone Dem since 1976. In that same span, Massachusetts and New York have gone Republican twice each.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 29, 2016, 02:24:53 PM
They voted for Romney while the country went for Obama. That is our most recent data point. :contract:

And it was about a 2% margin ergo that 2% margin is expected :contract: :smarty:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on February 29, 2016, 02:27:23 PM

And it was about a 2% margin ergo that 2% margin is expected :contract: :smarty:

If Hillary wins by 5 million votes. If it's closer, they might have a bigger margin.

My main point was that "purple" states tend to go for the winning party. NC went against Clinton twice and Obama once(and McCain's margin was about 6 points better there than nationally). They're still in the "red" camp, for now.

Phillip V

Clinton will not get the record amount of support that Obama got.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on February 29, 2016, 08:59:58 AM
Not that it will matter, but thought Oliver was brilliant yesterday in his take on Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGc2nN9OguQ

Ultimately, people are voting the brand, not the man.

Ok that rocked. :D

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 29, 2016, 02:48:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 29, 2016, 02:27:23 PM

If Hillary wins by 5 million votes. If it's closer, they might have a bigger margin.

My main point was that "purple" states tend to go for the winning party. NC went against Clinton twice and Obama once(and McCain's margin was about 6 points better there than nationally). They're still in the "red" camp, for now.

Ah. I guess I consider any state where it is not a forgone conclusion which way it will go is a purple state. To be a true red state the Republicans have to continually win by at least 5 points (and usually more)

Legbiter

Quote from: Martinus on February 29, 2016, 07:34:51 AM
The recent "controversy" about Trump tweeting a "fascist quote" that Mussolini once used (but seems older) is the "gotcha journalism" at its worst. Fortunately, their jedi mind tricks don't work on Trump or his supporters.

They also tried to pin David Duke and the KKK on him.

Results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LltnLzLXs7U  :lmfao:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Eddie Teach

But then you look at elections like 1984 or 1964 and they're all purple.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 29, 2016, 03:06:15 PM
But then you look at elections like 1984 or 1964 and they're all purple.

Those terms did not even exist back then. I am talking about the current political alignments. I mean sure New York went Federalist in 1796 but I don't think I can call them a...erm...wait did the Federalists have a color?

Martinus

Quote from: Legbiter on February 29, 2016, 03:04:58 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 29, 2016, 07:34:51 AM
The recent "controversy" about Trump tweeting a "fascist quote" that Mussolini once used (but seems older) is the "gotcha journalism" at its worst. Fortunately, their jedi mind tricks don't work on Trump or his supporters.

They also tried to pin David Duke and the KKK on him.

Results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LltnLzLXs7U  :lmfao:

:lol:

Malthus

I get the impression lots of people enjoy voting for Trump simply for the lulz. They get a kick out of seeing the usual suspects in the media and other establishment types freaking out about it.

Problem is, at the end of the day being president is a job, and there is no indication that Trump would be anything but a disaster at doing it. Is that worth a few laughs?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy