News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Anyone watch the Benghazi hearing?
I didn't watch it myself, but it appears that it was 11 hours of Republicans flailing about trying unsuccessfully to get something, anything to stick.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

Wow, Hillary is going from one good news to another all this week.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on October 23, 2015, 09:42:28 AM

Yeah, the Republicans really stepped on their dick with that one.

Eleven hours? Couldn't they tell this was a losing deal after say, 6 hours?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

I'd love to have that car. You can have the tank.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on October 23, 2015, 09:55:36 AM

Refusing the concede anything has been their entire political strategy for years :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on October 23, 2015, 09:55:36 AM

I watched some of it.  It was really pitiful.  Often the Republicans just created scenarios told Clinton that was what they thought happened.  We don't need hearings for that.  This is like the 8th investigation, I don't know why they think it would end differently then the others.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Yi, where are you?  I have a wagering itch I need scratched.

Admiral Yi

DGuller

Any bets on the Republican primary?  Will Trump or Carson win Iowa?

OttoVonBismarck

No GOP candidate has a meaningful chance, this is probably going to be the longest "coronation" in American Presidential history, or at the very least outside of FDR's re-elections. I think Hillary may do a little worse than Barack because I think the unprecedented minority turnout under Obama had a racial component that won't be present in 2016, but it won't be enough to give the electoral college to the Republicans. Even with lower turnout the GOP went from at least getting enough Hispanic and black votes in 2004 that they could remain competitive even with shifting demographics to being a party that is electorally dead in the electoral college probably for a generation. Bush may have arguably caused problems for the party with some of the more unpopular parts of his presidency but he got 44% of the hispanic vote in 2004, numbers like that and Romney is President today and whoever is running against Clinton likely wins too, but instead the GOP has repeatedly adopted policies to maximally alienate Hispanics and even the relatively few blacks who voted GOP (often around 10% in pre-Obama elections to like 2% now.)

OttoVonBismarck

The way the caucuses work make them notoriously difficult to poll and predict in general. Part of the reason people didn't take Obama seriously against Hillary until late is because there wasn't a realization of how well he had organized in the caucus states (which he often won with commanding leads and subsequently collected huge delegate margins in.)