News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

There is uncertainty there, true, but you can only bend away from fundamentals so much.

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 23, 2015, 08:08:19 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 23, 2015, 07:33:56 PM
Any bets on the Republican primary?

Depends on what you're offering.
I'm going to bet that someone other than Trump or Carson wins Iowa, at even odds.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on October 23, 2015, 08:25:48 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 23, 2015, 08:08:19 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 23, 2015, 07:33:56 PM
Any bets on the Republican primary?

Depends on what you're offering.
I'm going to bet that someone other than Trump or Carson wins Iowa, at even odds.

I don't internet gamble, but I guarantee you that Carson is going to win Iowa.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

No deal.  I expect the Trump vote to stay home and get drunk, and I expect most GOP caucusers will line up behind the highest ranking "establishment candidate."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 23, 2015, 08:52:00 PM

You guaranteed that Israel would bomb the fuck out of Iran about 5 years ago, and repeated it every six months.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 23, 2015, 08:54:10 PM

No deal.  I expect the Trump vote to stay home and get drunk, and I expect most GOP caucusers will line up behind the highest ranking "establishment candidate."
What probability do you assign to this outcome then?  I can get on the other side of the bet if you're much more than 50% sure of this.

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 23, 2015, 08:52:00 PM
Anyone can guarantee anything when the money is not on the line.  Money tends to dissolve bullshit rather nicely, even rather nominal amounts.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on October 23, 2015, 09:02:50 PM
What probability do you assign to this outcome then?  I can get on the other side of the bet if you're much more than 50% sure of this.

I could offer 6/5.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 23, 2015, 09:07:44 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 23, 2015, 09:02:50 PM

I could offer 6/5.
Not good enough.  Iowa did vote for Huckabee last time around when everyone knew full well he was going nowhere, so Carson is definitely a possibility, but not a 45% possibility IMO.  I can take the short bus duo at 2/1, but not any higher.

Jaron

I hope this is the beginning of the end for Trump. I am not completely convinced he is serious about his run, but the amount of conservative tears will be simply delicious once he drops out.

Should he get the nomination, I am not sure that he has a chance to win. He'll lock up the GOP vote for sure and the right wing loves him, but I do not believe he has the appeal to the moderates or left to win the presidency.

All bets being fair, the Clintons are going back to the White House in 2016.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tonitrus

Trump has hinted, even recently, about pushing for single-payer healthcare.  That might draw in some lefties.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on October 23, 2015, 09:16:13 PM
Not good enough.  Iowa did vote for Huckabee last time around when everyone knew full well he was going nowhere, so Carson is definitely a possibility, but not a 45% possibility IMO.  I can take the short bus duo at 2/1, but not any higher.

I could go 3/2.  You owe me.  I gave you dumbass odds on McCain because I had a woodie for the guy.  You knew that, but you took my money anyway.  Give me a little payback to keep the karma balanced.

edit:  That's it!  Eureka! I was wondering all night what the second thing I learned at the Kennedy School was.  It's How to Bargain with Jews.

The first thing I learned, if you're curious, was when in doubt, over-introduce.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 24, 2015, 01:47:21 AM
Trump has hinted, even recently, about pushing for single-payer healthcare.  That might draw in some lefties.

No fucking chance.