News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Voting is still a long ways away.  There is plenty of time for Grumpy Cat to enter the race and have a meteoric rise to the top of the polls.

EDIT:   :mad:

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 14, 2015, 10:13:31 PM
I just don't see how Trump is going to be stopped in the southern and western states. He's going to massacre the field on Super Tuesday and lock up a quarter of the delegates.

Fiorina and Huckabee should be considered establishment candidates. Fiorina has a mainstream GOP platform and was a corporate executive.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on October 14, 2015, 10:26:19 PM
Voting is still a long ways away.  There is plenty of time for Grump Cat to enter the race and have a meteoric rise to the top of the polls.
Grump Cat?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

I don't think Huckabee should be considered part of establishment.  He always had his own platform in all his presidential runs.  While that platform is severely repulsive to any rational human being, it's not the mainstream GOP platform.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on October 14, 2015, 10:36:03 PM
I just don't see how Trump is going to be stopped in the southern and western states. He's going to massacre the field on Super Tuesday and lock up a quarter of the delegates.

Fiorina and Huckabee should be considered establishment candidates. Fiorina has a mainstream GOP platform and was a corporate executive.

Her support doesn't come from that though, she's running as an outsider.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 14, 2015, 10:47:38 PM

In 2015, even Strom Thurmond would be running as an outsider, if he were still alive and had presidential ambitions.  Though given his age, he would probably have to switch back to Democratic Party to not look out of place.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on October 14, 2015, 10:53:21 PM

In 2015, even Strom Thurmond would be running as an outsider, if he were still alive and had presidential ambitions.  Though given his age, he would probably have to switch back to Democratic Party to not look out of place.

Bush, Rubio, Kasiach, Christie, Lindsey and Pataki aren't and those are the guys that I meshed together into one candidate.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on October 14, 2015, 10:44:41 PM
I don't think Huckabee should be considered part of establishment.  He always had his own platform in all his presidential runs.  While that platform is severely repulsive to any rational human being, it's not the mainstream GOP platform.

Huckabee I'm less adamant about than Fiorina, but Huckabee is a former governor with a fox news talkshow (fox news being the republican de facto nerve center).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Everyone tries to run as an outsider. You can't really do that if your name is Bush and it is tough if you are a sitting senator, but I'm sure the vast majority of establishment oriented Republicans would be happy if right now a crystal ball showed that in a bit over a year she was being sworn in as president.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 14, 2015, 08:36:15 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2015, 08:01:26 AM
Quote from: DGuller on October 14, 2015, 07:18:15 AM
I think Hillary's performance is a little overblown.  She did all the right things, yes, but it wasn't an exceptional debate performance.

Hillary does not excite anybody. But I probably will support her come Super Dooper Special Tuesday. She seems like the only adult in this race.
Let's not get over-dramatic.  I think all the Democrats on stage yesterday are adults, and it's really not such an exceptional state of affairs.  That's one of the minimum requirements.  The fact that this fact is noteworthy highlights how incredibly dysfunctional our electoral system has become that one party can completely detach itself from reality and lucidity, and yet not suffer any electoral consequences for it.

The Democrats are acting normally.  I expected this was the Republicans year.  I thought they had a good field of candidates, but the three leaders are people who never held office and have no fucking clue what they are doing.  I keep telling myself, they'll fall by the wayside, but I can't shake the feeling that the Republicans are going to go "full retard".  The House is in disarray, nobody seems to want the coveted position of Speaker.  I'm really at a loss as to what is happening.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DGuller on October 14, 2015, 10:26:19 PM
Voting is still a long ways away.  There is plenty of time for Grumpy Cat to enter the race and have a meteoric rise to the top of the polls.

EDIT:   :mad:

I saw his Christmas movie. It was actually pretty cute. :)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on October 14, 2015, 11:15:33 PM

Huckabee I'm less adamant about than Fiorina, but Huckabee is a former governor with a fox news talkshow (fox news being the republican de facto nerve center).

Huckabee's vote would go to Carson, wouldn't it?

1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 15, 2015, 08:47:00 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 14, 2015, 11:15:33 PM

Huckabee's vote would go to Carson, wouldn't it?
More likely Carson's remaining votes would go to Huckabee.  Which would not be much.  Carson is a flavor of the month, even GOP voters will get tired of his kindly imbecile act before too long.