2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2016, 02:47:21 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 14, 2016, 02:00:31 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2016, 01:25:13 PM
Quote from: Zanza on November 14, 2016, 01:01:01 PM
I think they'll not drain the swamp but rather turn it into an ocean of corruption.

I reject the idea that it was particularly corrupt in the first place.

:lol:

Confused - do you think that the US system is a sinkhole of corruption or are you laughing at the idea that it is?

Of the two options-- neither.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 14, 2016, 02:28:00 PM
Flip side is the voices on the left crying over how terrible their country now is :)

Meh, we still have a couple months

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on November 14, 2016, 04:35:11 PM

:huh: I thought you were just being sardonic.  :yeahright:

No.  I constantly hear that Washington is corrupt, but as far as I can tell the evidence of it being corrupt is a priori assumption.  I see no particular reason to believe that Washington is more corrupt now than it has been in the past or that's particularly corrupt compared to other governments in the world.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 14, 2016, 04:47:51 PM
Flip side is the voices on the left crying over how terrible their country now is :)

Yes, thankfully we will hold it together through my Christmas visit. THANKS OBAMA!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2016, 05:17:30 PM

Yes, thankfully we will hold it together through my Christmas visit. THANKS OBAMA!

Make it count, Sparkles al-Shabazz.  I doubt they'll let you back in come Xmas '17.

derspiess

Btw those self-serve Customs kiosks are pretty cool.  Wonder if Trump will change the questions they ask.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on November 14, 2016, 05:41:20 PM
Btw those self-serve Customs kiosks are pretty cool.  Wonder if Trump will change the questions they ask.

Wonder if the NSA is using the pictures to track our every move.  :ph34r:

CountDeMoney

Is you a Muslim?

A. How joo sey, jes
B. Maybe
C. ¿Que?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 14, 2016, 05:34:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2016, 05:17:30 PM

Make it count, Sparkles al-Shabazz.  I doubt they'll let you back in come Xmas '17.

If California falls, no place is safe.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Trump requesting security clearances for all his adult kids, including the (((son in law))).

Also *thought* I heard that Christie, while US attorney, convicted (((Kushner's))) (((father))) of fraud, with the implication that influenced Christie's expulsion from the inner circle.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2016, 06:13:51 PM
Trump requesting security clearances for all his adult kids, including the (((son in law))).

Also *thought* I heard that Christie, while US attorney, convicted (((Kushner's))) (((father))) of fraud, with the implication that influenced Christie's expulsion from the inner circle.

You're saying those people and fat and rather wobbly?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on November 14, 2016, 06:16:46 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2016, 06:13:51 PM

You're saying those people and fat and rather wobbly?

All right thing on Jews.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2016, 04:59:47 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 14, 2016, 04:35:11 PM

:huh: I thought you were just being sardonic.  :yeahright:

No.  I constantly hear that Washington is corrupt, but as far as I can tell the evidence of it being corrupt is a priori assumption.  I see no particular reason to believe that Washington is more corrupt now than it has been in the past or that's particularly corrupt compared to other governments in the world.
I agree with that assessment.  I think all these assumptions of the excessive corruption in Washington is just mindless cynicism that seems to be in vogue these days, which I think is a big factor in the march away from democracy all over the world.  Cynicism is the most potent weapon that evil has against good.  Sure, there is corruption, but there always has been, both legal and illegal kind, and contemporary level of it is nothing to burn the whole thing down over.

Washington's real problem over the last couple of decades, and especially in the last decade, has been the excess of "incorruptible" politicians, who would not waver from their ideological mission of sabotaging the government and the country until the right team is in charge.  And can you argue with their success?