News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on November 14, 2016, 01:01:01 PM
I think they'll not drain the swamp but rather turn it into an ocean of corruption.

I reject the idea that it was particularly corrupt in the first place.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2016, 01:25:13 PM
I think they'll not drain the swamp but rather turn it into an ocean of corruption.

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

One of the things that never ceases to surprise me is how the inhabitants of what must be the most advanced, most free, most wealthy, and most powerful nation in all of history, currently enjoying decades without a truly significant conflict that actually threatened its soil (aside from terrorist assholes) - have apparently so fully bought into the narrative that their nation is a shithole, life there is intolerable, and their governing class a total failure; so much so that an apocalyptic takedown of the entire system appears to a sizable minority (maybe even a majority) to be a great idea.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on November 14, 2016, 02:08:36 PM
One of the things that never ceases to surprise me is how the inhabitants of what must be the most advanced, most free, most wealthy, and most powerful nation in all of history, currently enjoying decades without a truly significant conflict that actually threatened its soil (aside from terrorist assholes) - have apparently so fully bought into the narrative that their nation is a shithole, life there is intolerable, and their governing class a total failure; so much so that an apocalyptic takedown of the entire system appears to a sizable minority (maybe even a majority) to be a great idea.  :hmm:

It is strange, particularly as that is the same group that would probably describe itself as the most patriotic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on November 14, 2016, 02:08:36 PM

Something something end of history something let's break it and see what happens

derspiess

Flip side is the voices on the left crying over how terrible their country now is :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 14, 2016, 02:28:00 PM
Flip side is the voices on the left crying over how terrible their country now is :)

Yes. But they haven't put a dangerous nutcase in the White House yet. But give them time....
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on November 14, 2016, 02:28:00 PM

Kind of like the last eight years of republitards.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on November 14, 2016, 02:00:31 PM

Confused - do you think that the US system is a sinkhole of corruption or are you laughing at the idea that it is?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 14, 2016, 02:29:36 PM
The end of history:

The elephant chart revisited:

http://www.resolutionfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Examining-an-elephant.pdf

Basically much the effect goes away if you adjust for shifts in population growth and particular regional issues (decline of the ex-Soviet bloc and the Japanese lost decade)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

Quote from: Zanza on November 06, 2016, 03:35:05 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2016, 02:59:52 PM
There's no reason why she has to.  President-Elect Trump would have defied, discarded and disavowed every political principle, convention and practice on his way to the White House--so I see no reason why Chancellor Merkel--or the leader of any other US ally he has personally insulted--should follow them, either.

A gift basket would suffice.
He would be the democratically elected president of a friend and partner nation, so of course we would extend all courtesy that the office of president commands to him.

I think she actually did well, part of her congratulation speech was this:
Quote"Germany and America are connected by values of democracy, freedom and respect for the law and the dignity of man, independent of origin, skin color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political views. I offer the next President of the United States close cooperation on the basis of these values."

Also from Reuters analysis:
QuoteOn virtually every issue of importance to the German chancellor, from confronting Russian aggression and promoting free trade, to combating climate change and tackling the tide of refugees fleeing Syria, Trump seems likely to turn Washington from an ally into an adversary.
:hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2016, 02:47:21 PM

Confused - do you think that the US system is a sinkhole of corruption or are you laughing at the idea that it is?

I'd like some clarification as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2016, 04:23:43 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2016, 02:47:21 PM

I'd like some clarification as well.

:huh: I thought you were just being sardonic.  :yeahright:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".