Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2016, 12:12:03 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2016, 12:04:02 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2016, 11:58:35 PM
Hell - this isn't the worst day this week so far for me (I had an utterly kick-in-the-nuts decision on a homicide that left the deceased's family yelling and swearing at the judge about the utter injustice of it all).

I know I mourned in lots of Canadian elections, including the election of the Not Ready For Prime Time Alberta NDP a couple years ago.  All of those elections were bad, but they're never as bad as you think they're going to be on election night.

Wanna bet?

If you can think of a quantifiable metric to measure "things won't be as bad as you think tonight" I'm game.

I'm not saying tonight is good news by any fucking stretch.  It's just not as bad as you're thinking.

Say that again at 1800 EST tonight.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on November 09, 2016, 12:14:27 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 09, 2016, 12:12:58 AM
Dems should have run Joe Biden.
+1

Trump killed off the Bush dynasty earlier in the year and now he's terminated the Clinton one.

LaCroix

in other news, north dakota passed medical marijuana :)

Zoupa

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2016, 12:13:06 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 09, 2016, 12:10:00 AM
Trump just pulled ahead in Pennsylvania  :lol:

Holy shit. I guess I'm gonna cash in on my bet, Yi.

No fucking way am I coming down there to pick it up though... Might wanna look into moving up here dude. I know you like it here  :)

Trouble is when Trump starts pulling out of trade deals (starting with NAFTA) and sending the world into recession it's certainly going to affect Canada... :(

Doesn't that directly contradict what you just posted about "it's not as bad as you think"?

It's pretty bad dude. The West needs a strong and capable US, not an erratic laughingstock.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on November 09, 2016, 12:12:25 AM
The notion of America as a melting pot has taken a knock tonight, a big slice of the population don't like that and they mobilised in a way that the urban progressives seem to have failed to do.

Taken a knock?  Not only was this an outright repudiation, it was the ultimate validation of groups that have been on the political fringe of irrelevancy, where they have always been and always belonged. 

Face it, this was the biggest win for the KKK since D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on November 09, 2016, 12:17:46 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2016, 12:13:06 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 09, 2016, 12:10:00 AM
Trump just pulled ahead in Pennsylvania  :lol:

Holy shit. I guess I'm gonna cash in on my bet, Yi.

No fucking way am I coming down there to pick it up though... Might wanna look into moving up here dude. I know you like it here  :)

Trouble is when Trump starts pulling out of trade deals (starting with NAFTA) and sending the world into recession it's certainly going to affect Canada... :(

Doesn't that directly contradict what you just posted about "it's not as bad as you think"?

It's pretty bad dude. The West needs a strong and capable US, not an erratic laughingstock.

Oh it's pretty bad.

It's just I think Yi is getting a bit hysterical.  Life will go on.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Karl Rove on Fox made a good observation...a Trump victory could mean the first time the Pres/both houses would be controlled by the GOP since 1928...

Syt

It's 6:15am. I woke after 3.5 hours of sleep (thanks bronchitis) and haven't been able to go back to sleep.

I'm written sick by my doctor till Friday - is it too early to start drinking?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2016, 12:05:36 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2016, 12:04:23 AM
Let's give credit where credit is due.  There is a big winner tonight and there is no doubt who that winner is.

The TAINT.
Nate Silver didn't do that badly either, considering.  I guess his tail wasn't too fat after all.

I was going to mention at one point - Nate Silver has to be feeling pretty good about himself tonight.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Syt on November 09, 2016, 12:20:09 AM
It's 6:15am. I woke after 3.5 hours of sleep (thanks bronchitis) and haven't been able to go back to sleep.

I'm written sick by my doctor till Friday - is it too early to start drinking?
I've been drinking last few hours...
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 09, 2016, 12:18:32 AM
Quote from: mongers on November 09, 2016, 12:12:25 AM
The notion of America as a melting pot has taken a knock tonight, a big slice of the population don't like that and they mobilised in a way that the urban progressives seem to have failed to do.

Taken a knock?  Not only was this an outright repudiation, it was the ultimate validation of groups that have been on the political fringe of irrelevancy, where they have always been and always belonged. 

Face it, this was the biggest win for the KKK since D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation.

I was being polite, we could now say American exceptional is dead, turns out Americans are pretty much like many other peoples in the world, a mix of inspiration, safe, dull or outright nasty individuals.

Syt

Quote from: LaCroix on November 09, 2016, 12:17:39 AM
in other news, north dakota passed medical marijuana :)

Is there a chance of Trump + Congress can overturn these votes?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.