2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 31, 2016, 02:52:22 PM
:hmm: My support for Comey wavers.

It's very hard to believe he intentionally is trying to skew the election.  He was US atty in my neck of the woods.  There have been more eminent people in that position, but no one ever questioned his probity.  There's a reason why Obama appointed him despite the republican affiliation.

But he made a really massive error in judgment here.

QuoteI still think Clinton supporters are making a mountain out of a molehill.  Unless Hillary sent a bunch of compartmentalized top secret briefings about drone strikes on Assange to Ooma and Schlong, or someone leaks an email about Hillary wanting to chemically castrate all gun owners, there's no there there.

You say that because you are a person who reviews information and thinks about it.  That is hardly a universal trait.  This is being spun as something far more sinister and lots of people are accepting it uncritically.  The very fact this is so unprecedented is allowing Trump and his surrogates to argue that it must mean there is very damning stuff.  No basis in fact, but it sounds logical.  Again, it puts HRC in an impossible situation - she can't refute it (because no one knows what "it" is), if she ignores it, it makes her look guilty, and if she addresses it, it keeps it in the news.

This whole episode is a useful illustration why the rule exists in the first place.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

What a weird time that people are calling houses declaring themselves a 'white nationalist' as a selling point.  :wacko:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2016, 09:27:56 AM
What a weird time that people are calling houses declaring themselves a 'white nationalist' as a selling point.  :wacko:

My boss caught laughing a bit hysterically about all of this recent insanity, rumours and innuendo. :Embarrass:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on November 01, 2016, 09:25:27 AM
I hope the call is in that slightly pervy "curious" announcer voice. :D

Southern legal matter-of-factness.  Even funnier.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Legbiter on November 01, 2016, 10:21:56 AM
Looks like Clinton just lost NC.  :hmm:

:lol:

To be fair to them, it looks like Cary, NC is a fairly liberal and affluent part of NC full of transplanted northerners so sending her there makes some kinda sense.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 01, 2016, 10:50:36 AM
To be fair to them, it looks like Cary, NC is a fairly liberal and affluent part of NC full of transplanted northerners so sending her there makes some kinda sense.

A realtor down there once told me that Cary was an actually an acronym for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

FunkMonk

Because of carpetbaggin' Yankee infidels, brown pipples, and white nationalist rhetoric, will we see in future elections a Blue South and a Red Midwest/Rust Belt?  :ph34r:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

Cotton was short and the weeds were tall, but Mr. Roosevelt's gonna save us all.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

One hing that I lost as a result of this election, regardless of how it goes, is my smug attitude about Russian and Ukrainian voters.  We're facing a significant chance of electing our own Yanukovich, and for us democracy isn't a new concept we're still getting a hang of.  Truly surreal.

Valmy

We were warned. The polarization. The disintegration of political dialogue. It has all gone like we were warned it would.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on November 01, 2016, 01:38:38 PM
One hing that I lost as a result of this election, regardless of how it goes, is my smug attitude about Russian and Ukrainian voters.  We're facing a significant chance of electing our own Yanukovich, and for us democracy isn't a new concept we're still getting a hang of.  Truly surreal.

No kidding.

One thing I hope doesn't get lost in all this though is Clinton.

We had like 14 Republicans running for nomination.

We had 1 Democrat, and 1 person pretending to be a Democrat. And I strongly suspect that Bernie's strong showing was precisely because he was NotClinton, in a field where the actual NotClinton Democrats were nowhere to be found.

Where are all the other potential Democrats? How is it that Clinton was just the presumptive nominee with no real challenger? What kind of control do the Clintons have over the DNC such that they were able to basically exclude anyone else from challenging her this time around?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

The Democrats are a mess. But we did have a couple governors try to run, they just didn't get any traction. Hillary's fanatical supporters are a powerful force in the party, nobody was going to deny them this year.