2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on November 01, 2016, 01:41:47 PM
Where are all the other potential Democrats? How is it that Clinton was just the presumptive nominee with no real challenger? What kind of control do the Clintons have over the DNC such that they were able to basically exclude anyone else from challenging her this time around?

O'Malley and Webb ran but got no traction.  Webb didn't do well in the early debate.  O'Malley had trouble raising money and the anti-HRC vote shifted strong and early to Bernie.  And Biden of course didn't run.

Again, I think a big factor was the Warrenite wing breaking hard and early for Bernie and thus crowding out the opportunities to run to HRC's left.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2016, 02:40:07 PM
Right.  This story should influence people who hear the words "email" and "Hillary" in the same sentence and go berserk.  Those people aren't going to vote for her anyway.

Well the bigger worry is NeverTrump types that don't like HRC but were prepared to hold their noses to defeat the greater evil; this increases the chance they just stay home.  In the key states even a marginal impact can matter.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 01, 2016, 03:30:42 PM
Where are all the other potential Democrats? How is it that Clinton was just the presumptive nominee with no real challenger? What kind of control do the Clintons have over the DNC such that they were able to basically exclude anyone else from challenging her this time around?

O'Malley and Webb ran but got no traction.  Webb didn't do well in the early debate.  O'Malley had trouble raising money and the anti-HRC vote shifted strong and early to Bernie.  And Biden of course didn't run.

Again, I think a big factor was the Warrenite wing breaking hard and early for Bernie and thus crowding out the opportunities to run to HRC's left.

Don't forget about Lincoln Chafee!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2016, 03:35:58 PM
Don't forget about Lincoln Chafee!

I was trying to be kind to him by not mentioning him.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 01, 2016, 03:24:20 PM
So if he wins Utah but Johnson gets twice as many votes nationwide, which one is in the mix?

Article doesn't specify, but since the Constitution doesn't mention popular vote we can infer it's based on EV, no?

BTW, is it common knowledge that the Attorney General recused herself from servergate?  I didn't know that until CNN's Very Smart Jew Lawyer mentioned it yesterday.

Jacob

Quote from: citizen k on November 01, 2016, 02:31:52 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 01, 2016, 01:48:28 PM
So what's this about the FBI releasing results of their investigation into the Clinton foundation and Marc Rich from 2005 today?

Is the FBI really that deliberately trying to steer the course of the election? If this is true I'm beginning to fear for the integrity of the US' institutions.

Jake, you're getting swept up in Timmyesque rumor and innuendo.  ;)

Well not swept yet... I heard about it, so I thought I'd check with you guys before I let myself get swept :)

PJL

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2016, 02:31:27 PM
Learned from an Economist article about McMuffin that in the case of an electoral college tie the House choose the president from among the top *three* contenders.

Yeah, just read that from Wikpedia too. And given the fact the House of Representative gets to choose out of the 3, it's conceivable that Trump doesn't need to get 270 to become President in those circumstances.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2016, 03:58:50 PM
So if he wins Utah but Johnson gets twice as many votes nationwide, which one is in the mix?

Article doesn't specify, but since the Constitution doesn't mention popular vote we can infer it's based on EV, no?

BTW, is it common knowledge that the Attorney General recused herself from servergate?  I didn't know that until CNN's Very Smart Jew Lawyer mentioned it yesterday.
Yeah didn't she do that shortly after that meeting with Bill?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PJL

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2016, 03:58:50 PM

According to Wikipedia it is by EV and the House of Representatives gets to decide.

Eddie Teach

I think she didn't officially recuse herself or did so only after the backlash for not doing so.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 01, 2016, 04:36:21 PM
I think she didn't officially recuse herself or did so only after the backlash for not doing so.

Didn't mean to suggest immediately after. Just thought it was around then and the stepped off when pressure mounted.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 01, 2016, 03:30:42 PM

I think the biggest factor in the lack of opposition for Clinton is she has spent the last four years securing support from the party.  That and Joe Biden's son died.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 01, 2016, 03:32:36 PM
Well the bigger worry is NeverTrump types that don't like HRC but were prepared to hold their noses to defeat the greater evil; this increases the chance they just stay home.  In the key states even a marginal impact can matter.

Which is why I expect a narrow Trump victory;  far too many NeverTrumps are going to stay home.  The GOP will not have needed voter suppression after all.

Eddie Teach

People who voted for Bush, McCain and Romney staying home will not hurt Hillary's chances.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2016, 05:49:25 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 01, 2016, 03:32:36 PM

Which is why I expect a narrow Trump victory;  far too many NeverTrumps are going to stay home.  The GOP will not have needed voter suppression after all.

My only conciliation is that I doubt he'll actually do anything. He just wants to be president to be president.

And maybe the DNC will wise up next time.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.