2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

What does it say about the USA that the sharpest guy in the race by a safe margin is relegated to holding the towel for a third party candidate with as much mental acuity as a Deadhead 23 minutes into the drum solo for Truckin'
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

I think I am back to rooting for Trump just to spite Tim.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Martinus on November 02, 2016, 12:28:26 AM
I think I am back to rooting for Trump just to spite Tim.

I'm backing Trump because his election would be the most no-brainer short of the decade.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 02, 2016, 02:07:15 AM
I'm backing Trump because his election would be the most no-brainer short of the decade.

How will you find someone to take the other side of the bet?

Hamilcar

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2016, 02:17:14 AM

You want to take it? Go on!

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2016, 10:06:50 PM
Was a little surprised that everyone in the UK I spoke with seemed to dislike Hillary as much as Trump.

I think that's a little bit far. While I've yet to encounter someone who is happy with her ('not my first choice' 'all that corruption' 'not left enough*'), I've yet to hear or overhear anyone who doesn't think Trump is a completely trash heap.

*so like the Bernie or Else camp in the US. After all, many people in London are Labour sympathizers if not members and that's a party that reacted to an electoral defeat by thinking it should move further to the Left. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2016, 03:44:47 AM
Was a little surprised that everyone in the UK I spoke with seemed to dislike Hillary as much as Trump.

I think that's a little bit far. While I've yet to encounter someone who is happy with her ('not my first choice' 'all that corruption' 'not left enough*'), I've yet to hear or overhear anyone who doesn't think Trump is a completely trash heap.

*so like the Bernie or Else camp in the US. After all, many people in London are Labour sympathizers if not members and that's a party that reacted to an electoral defeat by thinking it should move further to the Left. :D

Chances are you and speissy hang out with different crowds. :P

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 02, 2016, 03:48:28 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2016, 03:44:47 AM

Chances are you and speissy hang out with different crowds. :P

Well yes, he would have been hanging out with individuals excited about the NFL.  I was just shoring up against an attempt to generalize from his brief experience here in London.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 02, 2016, 02:36:50 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2016, 02:17:14 AM

You want to take it? Go on!

Paddy Power is paying 9/4 on Trump's victory. :contract:

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 01, 2016, 11:21:23 PM
What does it say about the USA that the sharpest guy in the race by a safe margin is relegated to holding the towel for a third party candidate with as much mental acuity as a Deadhead 23 minutes into the drum solo for Truckin'

:lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Legbiter

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2016, 07:00:32 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 01, 2016, 06:48:57 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 01, 2016, 06:40:57 PM
Add that to North Carolina and that's 21 that Trump needs to win.

Your math will be all for naught when Trump takes New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Michigan.

Or Wisconsin, for that matter.

Aye. Her turnout will be awful and that's that. The Taint could never be undone.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

LaCroix

there are americans itt who doubt hillary's victory? shame! shame!

Martinus

I still believe Trump will win.

Now, I may be (and likely will be) wrong. But the risk is worth it - correctly predicting Trump's defeat puts me in line with thousands of other pundits, commentators and Languish posters. Correctly predicting Trump's victory makes me a seer. :P