2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on November 02, 2016, 12:36:23 PM
If we could figure out a way to hook them up to a turbine, Jefferson and Washington spinning in their graves could solve our energy problems as long as we could keep this up.

Seriously-- a likely woman president?  SMH
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

FunkMonk

Quote from: Legbiter on November 02, 2016, 07:21:04 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2016, 07:00:32 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 01, 2016, 06:48:57 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 01, 2016, 06:40:57 PM
Add that to North Carolina and that's 21 that Trump needs to win.

Your math will be all for naught when Trump takes New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Michigan.

Or Wisconsin, for that matter.

Aye. Her turnout will be awful and that's that. The Taint could never be undone.

Oddly enough I think it'll be Trump's turnout that will be below what we would normally expect. The question for me then is, will Hillary's turnout be enough to overcome white pride????
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2016, 05:49:25 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 01, 2016, 03:32:36 PM
Well the bigger worry is NeverTrump types that don't like HRC but were prepared to hold their noses to defeat the greater evil; this increases the chance they just stay home.  In the key states even a marginal impact can matter.

Which is why I expect a narrow Trump victory;  far too many NeverTrumps are going to stay home.  The GOP will not have needed voter suppression after all.

in that case those people aren't real 'neverTrump' to begin with. Or they don't understand the implications of 'never' very well.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: 11B4V on November 01, 2016, 06:59:01 PM
It can only be a tie. This can only end in a tie. USSC 4-4 and tie again. Perfect storm.

Yi,

20.00 bucks it's a tie. And to devils advocate it, ill sweeten the pot. USSC will tie 4-4 also.

You in?

it's a 1 in a million chance, and we all know how narrativum works.  <_<

Valmy

Why would the USSC be involved in a tie EC? Congress would decide it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Hamilcar

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2016, 01:49:24 PM

Question: is it the old congress that decides, or the newly-elected one?

Berkut

A pretty good (short) article from CNN of all places...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/01/opinions/nasty-election-campaign-opinion-mcternan/index.html

I liked this:

QuoteThe result does not mean it will be over. Not because either side will be sore losers and cry foul -- though Trump does look more of a crybaby than a statesman, and is highly unlikely to be able to give a concession speech as gracious as John McCain's.

No, the reason that this divisive debate won't go away after the election is there is a real underlying division -- one not caused by the campaign but reflected in it.

America is changing, becoming more diverse, more urban, better educated. The consequent social change -- including equal marriage and the long march of women through the institutions -- is irreversible.

This fact has proved so disturbing to some parts of America -- largely in Republican states -- that they will next week go to the polling station and vote for Trump.

I think it misses another important piece to the puzzle however. There is a serious and real concern about the fundamentals of our system, and who it actually represents, and that is sadly being lost by the "basket of deplorables" movement.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 02, 2016, 01:53:50 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2016, 01:49:24 PM

Question: is it the old congress that decides, or the newly-elected one?

I believe it's the old one.

And there's lot of potential ways for the courts to get involved.  You can have another Florida 2000, where the result is pretty much a statistical tie.  You can have faithless electors.  The whole process of having the election decided by Congress has never, ever happened, so lots of ways for that to go wonky.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 02, 2016, 02:00:18 PM
The whole process of having the election decided by Congress has never, ever happened, so lots of ways for that to go wonky.

?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

The whole process of having the election decided by Congress has never, ever happened, so lots of ways for that to go wonky.

John Quincy Adams would be surprised to hear that. The last time the outgoing Congress did it.

But granted it has been awhile.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Hamilcar

Errr https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1800

Admiral Yi

Hey Beeb, I think Congress might have had a hand in the 1800 election.  :)

Hamilcar

I'm tired of this inferior Canadian legal advice. Can a proper American answer my question about whether the old or new congress votes on the president in case of a tie?

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2016, 02:04:54 PM

John Quincy Adams would be surprised to hear that. The last time the outgoing Congress did it.

But granted it has been awhile.

Huh, I (obviously) didn't know that.  :Embarrass:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on November 02, 2016, 01:59:26 PM

I think it misses another important piece to the puzzle however. There is a serious and real concern about the fundamentals of our system, and who it actually represents, and that is sadly being lost by the "basket of deplorables" movement.

Well the Supreme Court will have to reverse its decision that corruption is speech first. Or a Constitutional Amendment of course.