2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2016, 03:30:19 PM
You might want to re-read your own article.  It says he has "been reported to the FBI" by some PAC thingy.

Right... I suppose with the FBI currently violating the Hatch act to push the election towards the GOP, it'd be too much to expect them to actually investigate :(

EDIT: which is to say: you're right, Yi.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2016, 03:30:19 PM
You might want to re-read your own article.  It says he has "been reported to the FBI" by some PAC thingy.

That means he's guilty.  Meanwhile Hillary isn't, despite evidence.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2016/nov/02/trump-clinton-news-live-election-2016?page=with:block-581a4d96e4b0d073c27d0d15#block-581a4d96e4b0d073c27d0d15

QuoteSpeaking in Orlando, Florida, to a sweltering audience, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump decried Democratic rival Hillary Clinton as "the candidate of yesterday," calling himself and his supporters "the movement of the future."

"Just think about what we could accomplish in the first 100 days of a Trump administration," Trump said, to a weak "Trump! Trump! Trump!" chant.

"We are going to have the biggest tax cut since Ronald Reagan - and Hillary wants to increase your taxes by an unbelievable amount. We're already the highest-taxed country in the world," Trump continued, incorrectly.

"We're going to rebuild our military and take care of our great, great veterans - they're not being taken care of," Trump vowed. "We're going to support the men and women of law enforcement. We will save the Second Amendment, which is, as you know, under tremendous siege. We will point justices to the united States supreme court who will uphold the constitution of the United States."

"We have all these people telling us what to do - politicians, they know nothing," Trump continued. "The media is a part and one of the vital cogs in the rigged system in which we live. They're a big fat cog. And they never show the crowds, they never show what's happening."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 02, 2016, 03:38:12 PM
Right... I suppose with the FBI currently violating the Hatch act to push the election towards the GOP, it'd be too much to expect them to actually investigate :(

EDIT: which is to say: you're right, Yi.

Your understanding of the Hatch Act and of the reasons Hillary was investigated by the FBI differ from mine.

In other words, you're falling for partisan click bait.

Hamilcar

So a woman is giving a press conference today claiming Trump raped her when she was 13. This is surreal.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2016, 03:59:42 PM
Your understanding of the Hatch Act and of the reasons Hillary was investigated by the FBI differ from mine.

I think the recent releases from Comey are potentially in violation of the Hatch act.

QuoteIn other words, you're falling for partisan click bait.

With this link, yes  :Embarrass:

Jacob

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 02, 2016, 04:15:42 PM
So a woman is giving a press conference today claiming Trump raped her when she was 13. This is surreal.

Yeah, I linked to reports of that story a while ago. It's been around for a while - I believe there's a civil suit related coming up next year - but the media has not given it any real attention yet.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Jacob on November 02, 2016, 04:46:26 PM

Yeah, I linked to reports of that story a while ago. It's been around for a while - I believe there's a civil suit related coming up next year - but the media has not given it any real attention yet.

What's surreal is that the general reaction is "eh, what else is new?". In normal times, this should 100% sink a candidate.

Admiral Yi

"Only way I'm going to lose this election is if the voters of Louisiana find me in bed with a live boy or a dead girl."

Barrister

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 02, 2016, 04:48:00 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 02, 2016, 04:46:26 PM

What's surreal is that the general reaction is "eh, what else is new?". In normal times, this should 100% sink a candidate.

I don't know about that.  Given how dated the allegation is the public is likely skeptical.  There were allegations in 1992 that Bill Clinton raped some women too, but similarly they were dated and didn't get much traction.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Greatest show on earth.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on November 02, 2016, 05:37:36 PM

Greatest show on earth.

Six days left; who knew time actually slows down as you near an election day.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Clinton people are scraping the bottom of their oppo research barrel hoping to find something to stick.  Reeks of desperation.

None of it matters - without the debates to remind everyone what an embarrassment the man will be for the country, the GOP leaners drift back to him like long-abused codependents.

Meanwhile the AA vote doesn't seem to be getting the message that the same importance giving to electing Americas "First Black President" should be given to an election that could determine whether he will be the last.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

https://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/heres-an-open-letter-to-james-comey?utm_term=.smPKeLm3q#.vqg5Qr6N4

QuoteHere's An Open Letter To Comey From The Teen Who Allegedly Got Sexts From Weiner

Mr. James Comey

FBI Director

November 2, 2016

I am the 15-year-old (now 16) who was the victim of Anthony Weiner. I now add you to the list of people who have victimized me. I told my story originally to protect other young girls that might be a victim of online predators.

Your letter to Congress has now brought this whole matter back into the media spotlight. Not even 10 minutes after being forensically interviewed with the FBI for seven hours, I received a phone call from a REPORTER asking for a statement. Why didn't you communicate with the local FBI agents that I had just spoken to? They could have scheduled our interview sooner or scheduled a time to interview me later, or change locations of the interview. My neighborhood has been canvassed by reporters asking for details about me.

In your letter, you chose to use a vague approach, meaning the media had to keep searching to try and find out what evidence you had uncovered and how. Every media outlet from local to national has contacted me and my family to get my "story." Why couldn't your letter have waited until after the election, so I would not have to be the center of attention the last week of the election cycle?

In his "cooperation" with you and with his love of the spotlight, Anthony Weiner has given information that led to the media finding me. You have assisted him in further victimizing me on every news outlet. I can only assume that you saw an opportunity for political propaganda.

I thought your job as FBI Director was to protect me. I thought if I cooperated with your investigation, my identity as a minor would be kept secret. That is no longer the case. My family and I are barraged by reporters' phone calls and emails. I have been even been blamed in a newspaper for causing Donald Trump to now be leading in some polls and costing Hillary the election.

Anthony Weiner is the abuser. Your letter helped that abuse to continue. How can I rebuild my life when you have made finding out my "story" the goal of every reporter? When I meet with my therapist next time, she will already know what we are going to talk about before I get there by reading Friday, October 28th, 2016's New York Times article.

I may have been Weiner's victim, but the real story here is that I am a survivor. I am strong, intelligent, and certain that I will come out from under this nightmare, but it will not be as a result of your doing your job to protect me. I hope that by making my letter to you public, you will think about how your actions affect the victims of the crimes you are investigating. The election is important, yes, but what happened to me and how it makes me feel and how others see me, is much more important. It's time that the FBI Director puts his victims' rights above political views.

— Girl that lost her faith in America
P.S. To all reporters: AP, FOX, CBS, NBC, and all other media outlets, please respect my position and stop interrupting my life!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2016, 03:29:41 PM
This email thing is so idiotic. I just do not understand why it is this big thing. Hire better staff you morons.

That's the problem:  the staff that says not to do X, but but but you can't do Y, etc., are usually the staff that winds up manning a radar tower in Alaska by the end of the day.  Just mail him his clothes.

It's the staff that shuts up as soon as they're told to Just Get It Done Already that manages to stick around.