2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2016, 12:24:10 PM
https://www.buzzfeed.com/paulcurry/do-you-know-where-aleppo-is?utm_term=.uxMO6Y3B2#.pnlBp51bA

QuoteDo You Know Where Aleppo Is?
Play our game and see if you can find the city on a map.

edit: I just tried and got 'nailed it'

So did I. it told me, "congrats you found aleppo. you should run for president or something". I still didn't know where aleppo was other than a vague region of syria.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on October 27, 2016, 12:29:30 PM
So did I. it told me, "congrats you found aleppo. you should run for president or something". I still didn't know where aleppo was other than a vague region of syria.

I just told you :angry:

QuoteAwesome. Byzanteens for POTUS.

I look forward to Spellus marching through the streets of Istanbul under a 'Mission Accomplished' banner.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on October 27, 2016, 12:02:57 PM
How many Americans know what/where Aleppo is? I bet most Languishites couldn't even find it on a map.

I bet that if you gave a test to Trump and Johnson, Johnson would be more knowledgeable about world affairs than Trump.
The question wasn't where Aleppo was on a map, but what he wanted to do about the situation there. As it had been in the news the days before the question, it shows that he wasn't knowledgeable about world affairs. Trump at least knew it was a mess and Hillary was to blame.

Eddie Teach

Considering his foreign policy position is to stay out of other countries' affairs, is it really that important for him to know what's going on there?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2016, 12:35:35 PM

I just told you :angry:

What you told me didn't help. Reference cities weren't on the map, and they have both changed names anyway.

I look forward to Spellus marching through the streets of Istanbul under a 'Mission Accomplished' banner.

Spellus won't be doing such a think unless the name of the city has reverted to Constantinople.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on October 27, 2016, 02:37:38 PM
Spellus won't be doing such a think unless the name of the city has reverted to Constantinople.

Well that would be the ceremony to announce the name change and guarantee the independence of the Neo-Byzanteen Empire.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 27, 2016, 02:35:18 PM
Considering his foreign policy position is to stay out of other countries' affairs, is it really that important for him to know what's going on there?

There is a difference between a policy of non-intervention on the one hand, and complete and utter ignorance and indifference on the other.

E.g. I assume a Johnson administration would continue to maintain embassies and provide consular services overseas, and would continue to do things like pursue trade and investment agreements.  Even under such a limited foreign policy, it's still pretty important to have a basic understanding about which parts of the world happen to have horrifically brutal wars going on.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 27, 2016, 03:19:32 PM
There is a difference between a policy of non-intervention on the one hand, and complete and utter ignorance and indifference on the other.

E.g. I assume a Johnson administration would continue to maintain embassies and provide consular services overseas, and would continue to do things like pursue trade and investment agreements.  Even under such a limited foreign policy, it's still pretty important to have a basic understanding about which parts of the world happen to have horrifically brutal wars going on.

Well in that case, isn't it pretty damn important that candidates be able to pinpoint places on the map? Otherwise, how will the president be able to tell the diplomats where to go?

Admiral Yi

Has Johnson said how often he fires up, and if he was stoned for that brain fart town hall?

Eddie Teach

I believe he's said he hasn't smoked weed in years.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on October 27, 2016, 03:27:04 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 27, 2016, 03:19:32 PM

Well in that case, isn't it pretty damn important that candidates be able to pinpoint places on the map? Otherwise, how will the president be able to tell the diplomats where to go?

Look I get all my news from Languish. I would hope a Presidential Candidate would be better informed than I am.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2016, 03:31:45 PM
Look I get all my news from Languish. I would hope a Presidential Candidate would be better informed than I am.

It's not like he's a serious candidate.  :P

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on October 27, 2016, 03:27:04 PM

Since the Secretary of State is responsible for day-to-day management the individual security details of each major consular official worldwide, I would agree that is the minimum to be expected of a POTUS.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson