2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2016, 09:25:09 AM
CNN write up on the Kelly-Gingrich war:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/26/media/megyn-kelly-newt-gingrich-donald-trump/index.html

Now, I found this part particularly incredible:

QuoteGingrich also seemed to dismiss Fox's own electoral map, which shows Clinton well ahead of the 270 electoral votes she needs to win the presidency.

Kelly cited several such maps, including Fox's, and said "these are nonpartisan outlets that are just trying to call the electoral scoreboard."

"They're not nonpartisan outlets," Gingrich responded. "Every outlet you described is part of the establishment."

"Fox News? Really? Are we? I don't think so," she said.

"Oh c'mon," Gingrich said.

How can anyone look at Newt Fucking Gingrich and actually buy into the idea that he is a champion for fighting the establishment??? He *IS* the establishment!

I do wonder where Kelly will end up as well. It seems unlikely she will stay at Fox. But if she does, I suspect that it means that with Ailes gone, Fox might actually try to move more mainstream.

If she doesn't stay, I think it send the message that Fox will be doubling down on their white sheet and torch selling history, and replace her with some arch conservative pretty face. And they will get even more crazy.

Won't "Trump TV" busily eat their lunch of crazy?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2016, 09:02:21 AM
Breitbart's spin on Newt:

QuoteLike most conservatives, Speaker Newt Gingrich has finally had enough of Megyn Kelly's biased nonsense.

WATCH how Gingrich DESTROYS Kelly when she starts in with her obnoxious anti-Trump antics...

:lol:

I guess Breitbart makes click-bait stories? 'Watch as this guy DESTROYS this person' and then you watch and he says nothing particularly compelling. So lame.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on October 26, 2016, 09:29:36 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2016, 09:25:09 AM
I do wonder where Kelly will end up as well. It seems unlikely she will stay at Fox. But if she does, I suspect that it means that with Ailes gone, Fox might actually try to move more mainstream.

If she doesn't stay, I think it send the message that Fox will be doubling down on their white sheet and torch selling history, and replace her with some arch conservative pretty face. And they will get even more crazy.

Won't "Trump TV" busily eat their lunch of crazy?  ;)

No, I don't think the uniquely "Trump" part of the Trump phenonmena will outlast the election, much.

He will get bored, for one (he already is), and what's more his followers will move on to the next crazy person - the real question is whether that person will be even crazier than Trump - I suspect they will be. Someone like Cruz, who looks and sounds better, but is much, much more ideologically dangerous.

"Trump <insert whatever here>" has no future. He is a flash in the pan.

The crazy that has resulted in people following him, sadly, is not...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 26, 2016, 08:31:06 AM
Clinton's RCP average down to 4.2 now. Leading Florida barely by just 1.6. Trump closing down the gap in Ohio.

Truly, the Timmy taint is real and it's happening right before our eyes :cry:

Most recent Rasmussen national has her up by 1 which is good news for her as it's one the most Trump leaning polls
But it does seem to be tightening.
I think there is a natural tendency for the GOP leaners to gravitate back to Trump, a tendency offset by his periodic gaffes and eruptions.  But we've had a couple days of policy related news (Obamacare) and HRC has no more opportunities to troll him to his face.  It could get too close for comfort.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

In lopsided races like 1996 or 2008 there tends to be a tightening at the end as party loyalists start to rally around the nominee a bit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Well I already voted so no time for me to tighten up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 25, 2016, 11:20:14 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on October 25, 2016, 10:03:19 PM
:huh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RVqTfIKGbU

He's right: there are two alternative universes.

Further to that - the early voting data so far favors the Dems in every significant battleground state except Iowa, and is equivocal in  North Carolina (higher democratic margin but somewhat lower minority voting).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2016, 06:00:41 AM
I would feel a bit uncomfortable if my mother thought abortion was such a great thing. :unsure:

Maybe she wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt for a few years before deciding?

Admiral Yi

Depending on eventual turn out, between 1/4 and 1/3 of total voters have already voted. From CNN.

CountDeMoney

Oh, and for what it's worth:  unless there's some sort of smoking gun email putting Clinton on the Grassy Knoll, this whole WikiLeaks thing is the biggest election dicktease since Nixon's plans to end the war in Vietnam.  Talk about a whole lot of nothing.  Zzzzzzzz.

jimmy olsen

Clinton's RCP average down to 4.2 now. Leading Florida barely by just 1.6. Trump closing down the gap in Ohio.

I see 5.6% lead

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5952.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 26, 2016, 06:39:34 PM

I see 5.6% lead

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5952.html

Which is still way too close for what DT is.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 26, 2016, 06:32:01 PM
Oh, and for what it's worth:  unless there's some sort of smoking gun email putting Clinton on the Grassy Knoll, this whole WikiLeaks thing is the biggest election dicktease since Nixon's plans to end the war in Vietnam.  Talk about a whole lot of nothing.  Zzzzzzzz.

But, but Goldman Sachs, and TPP, and Brazilian banks, and hemispheric common markets!

Just hilarious to watch super-conservative GOP types turn themselves into gibbering caricatures of Michael Moore.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

SEE campaign staff INFIGHTING!
WATCH as staffers cynically DEBATE strategy!
IMAGINE the SURPRISE of DEROGATORY emails about opponents!

Zzzzzzzz.

Ed Anger

I'm glad Newt lost his temper at that slut Megyn and her shitty haircut.

Bitch needs to get back in the kitchen.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive