2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Looking Grim for the GOP.  :menace:

http://www.businessinsider.com/triple-undervote-republicans-donald-trump-2016-10

QuoteRepublicans are even more screwed than they look
Josh Barro 10h 27,583  41

Obviously, the last week has been a disaster for Donald Trump and the Republican party. But the situation is even worse for Republicans than it looks at first glance.

Downballot Republicans face a grim choice: Repudiate Trump and annoy the great many Republican base voters who are big fans of his, or stick with Trump and alienate swing voters (while also flushing what dignity they have left down the toilet.)

An "undervote" is the term for when a voter casts a ballot but does not vote in a particular race. As some Republicans stick by Trump and others reject him, the party is at grave risk of triggering what I'll call the triple undervote.

Some pro-Trump voters will show up to vote for him but withhold their votes in downballot races, out of anger at a Republican party they see as sabotaging the nominee primary voters chose.

Some anti-Trump Republicans will show up to vote, but not vote for Trump at the top of the ticket.

Some Republican-leaning voters who are disgusted by the whole situation won't show up to vote at all.

When you combine those three effects, the result is that Democrats can win up and down the ballot even if most of the voters in a given state or district lean Republican.

It's a total nightmare for Republicans. And it's a reason rejecting Trump en masse may not help the party protect its House and Senate majorities.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/10/08/donald-trump-launches-major-twitter-campaign-ahead-debates-bigleaguetruth/

Donald Trump has launched a social media campaign to help supporters keep the media honest for the next presidential debate with the hashtag #BigLeagueTruth, where supporters can act as a quick response team to debunk false accusations by the Clinton campaign or the moderators and the media.
Supporters can go to the #BigLeagueTruth Team website and sign up to receive and re-post messages from the Trump campaign to counter the left-wing narrative of both the media and the Clinton campaign.

"We cannot count on the rigged MSM to bring the truth to the American people," the message at the website informs visitors.

"I need you to help me speak directly to the hard-working Americans who want to take our country back," it continues.

"Join the Big League Truth Team and help fact check Crooked Hillary LIVE during the debates," the message concludes.

Breitbart spoke to a campaign digital staffer with knowledge of the operation, and he noted that #BigLeagueTruth was a great success with its maiden run during the vice presidential debate.

"It is obvious that we can't rely on the media to tell the truth, so we have recruited over 30,000 Americans, now, to basically be our own press secretaries to get the truth out," the staffer told Breitbart News. "We have a system where we text and email our supporters in real time during the debates and they can tweet it or share it on Facebook or otherwise forward it to their contacts and friends. That way we can go around the biased media and get the truth directly to the voters.

"With our maiden run on this during the vice presidential debate we saw a 360 percent lift on the tweets we sent out versus the ones we sent out during the first presidential debate before we had started the program. So, basically 20 million people saw the tweets we sent out during the VP debate. So far it has been a great success," the staffer concluded.

Trump supporters who would like to join the effort can go to the #BigLeagueTruth Team website and sign up for free in order to help Trump get the truth out ahead of the upcoming presidential debate.

"Fact check"? A rather valiant effort to add noise to water down anything the media might be saying bring the truth that THEYTM don't want you to know to the people. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on October 09, 2016, 03:44:06 AM
SNL's reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sYGjoUcusM

Alec Baldwin makes a scary good Trump. :D

Yeah he's quite spot on. I also love Kate McKinnon playing maniacal Hillary even though that's less of a real impression (minus the shimmy!). :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 09, 2016, 02:03:29 AM
Waiting with anticipation

https://mobile.twitter.com/billpruitt/status/784872190587998209?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Bill Pruitt‏ @billpruitt

As a producer on seasons 1 & 2 of #theapprentice I assure you: when it comes to the #trumptapes there are far worse. #justthebegininng

Oct 9, 2016, 6:44 AM from McAllen, TX

Really? With anticipation? You are a nasty piece of work, rat face.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on October 09, 2016, 03:44:06 AM
SNL's reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sYGjoUcusM

Alec Baldwin makes a scary good Trump. :D

It's the Poe's Law of impersonation - where you can't tell the parody from the original.  :lol:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2016, 06:16:24 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 09, 2016, 02:03:29 AM
Waiting with anticipation

https://mobile.twitter.com/billpruitt/status/784872190587998209?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Bill Pruitt‏ @billpruitt

As a producer on seasons 1 & 2 of #theapprentice I assure you: when it comes to the #trumptapes there are far worse. #justthebegininng

Oct 9, 2016, 6:44 AM from McAllen, TX

Who pissed on your pierogi?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2016, 06:16:24 AM

Sorry, we couldn't hear you with all that Assange alt-cock in your mouth.

garbon

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/300060-poll-gop-voters-standing-behind-trump-after-lewd-comments

I'm wondering if this will be changed due to the mass increase in GOP defections that took place while polling was occurring. Will be quite interesting to see how this debate goes down.

QuotePoll: GOP voters standing behind Trump after lewd comments

A new poll shows a large majority of Republican voters is standing behind Donald Trump after a tape surfaced showing the party's nominee making lewd comments about women in 2005.

Almost three-quarters of Republicans, 74 percent, said GOP leaders should still back Trump, according to a Politico/Morning Consult poll released Sunday morning.
Twelve percent of all Republican voters said Trump should end his campaign, pollsters found. Thirteen percent of female Republicans said he should drop out.

Seventy percent of Democrats, meanwhile, said Trump should leave the race.

Seventy four percent of all voters reacted negatively to the video, according to the poll. In that video, released on Friday, Trump uses vulgar and aggressive language about women.

Clinton leads Trump by 4 points nationally in the new survey, pollsters found.

Clinton has 42 percent support in a four-way matchup, with Trump at 38 percent, Libertarian nominee Gary Johnson with 8 percent and Green Party nominee Jill Stein with 3 percent.

The Democratic nominee also leads the businessman in a two-way race, 45 to 41 percent.

Trump's support dropped 1 point from a similar poll conducted before his comments were released.

The poll of 1,549 registered voters, including 1,390 likely voters, was conducted on Saturday. The margin of error among likely voters is 3 percent.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Quote from: Jacob on October 08, 2016, 11:53:16 AM
I think part of why this particularly thing has the impact it has is because it clearly (as in, you can see and hear it) shows Trump to be the kind of guy any real man in the Legbiter mold ought to protect his women against.

It's also because most GOP types don't know/care about anyone black, Mexican, Muslim, or gay, but most GOP types have white women close to them.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Solmyr on October 09, 2016, 07:28:14 AM
I think part of why this particularly thing has the impact it has is because it clearly (as in, you can see and hear it) shows Trump to be the kind of guy any real man in the Legbiter mold ought to protect his women against.

It's also because most GOP types don't know/care about anyone black, Mexican, Muslim, or gay, but most GOP types have white women close to them.

That's just patently untrue based on my anedcdata of conservative acquaintances in the US. Some of them even *are* black/Hispanic/gay/$minority_of_choice.

Legbiter

It will be fascinating to see the American public referee how many alleged Trump gropes equals one alleged Bill/Hillary Clinton rape.  :wacko:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 09, 2016, 07:37:30 AM

That's just patently untrue based on my anedcdata of conservative acquaintances in the US. Some of them even *are* black/Hispanic/gay/$minority_of_choice.

I was. Then I had to get out of Dodge.

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on October 09, 2016, 07:43:44 AM
It will be fascinating to see the American public referee how many alleged Trump gropes equals one alleged Bill/Hillary Clinton rape.  :wacko:

Your heart's just not in it any more, is it, I can't tell.  :hug:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Hamilcar

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2016, 07:45:04 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 09, 2016, 07:37:30 AM

I was. Then I had to get out of Dodge.
[/quote

I don't blame you, though the other side has developed rather unhealthy ideological views recently. I've gone the other way: was center left, increasingly rejected by the left.