2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: celedhring on October 04, 2016, 05:26:01 AM
I'm surprised to see Virginia so solidly blue, on the other hand.

Asian-Americans (7% of Virginia, climbing rapidly) and Washington, DC (big government/business spread to northern Virginia).

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2016, 09:41:22 AM
Quote from: Gups on October 04, 2016, 08:32:33 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 04, 2016, 08:28:53 AM
Trump winning would cause me to pretty much lose whatever shred of faith I have left in the idea that the US is in any way special or a example to be emulated by other societies.

Meh, that horse bolted when Trump won the nomination.

From time to time, our political parties lose their way.  But the American polity always knew better.

In this case, it looks like one of the parties found their way, and their way is to appeal to the most base instincts of the most base part of the polity.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Substantial drivers of the GOP since the Dixiecrat migration have always been racism, misogyny, and anti-intellectualism;  it's just that now they no longer feel the need to hide it anymore, and there's nothing the traditional "establishment" can do about controlling it.

dps

The truly sad part is, this election really has become a referendum on Hillary Clinton, not Donald Trump.

DGuller, there's the answer to your question about how people manage to support Trump without blowing a gasket mentally.  They don't look at him, they just look at Hillary.

celedhring

Quote from: dps on October 04, 2016, 11:04:05 AM
The truly sad part is, this election really has become a referendum on Hillary Clinton, not Donald Trump.

DGuller, there's the answer to your question about how people manage to support Trump without blowing a gasket mentally.  They don't look at him, they just look at Hillary.

I can't think of any relevant metric in which Hillary is vulnerable (and there are a few indeed), where Trump isn't just worse.

derspiess

Quote from: Legbiter on October 04, 2016, 08:33:03 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on October 04, 2016, 08:12:36 AMI think he's already backtracking from his earlier comments that this was damning information

Eh, any more email revelations about Clinton are priced into the market so to speak. Won't have any effect.

Plus anytime there's a political "revelation" that gets hyped before it's released, you can bet that it will never live up to the hype.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 04, 2016, 05:24:09 AM
He's probably going to win Ohio, even if Clinton wins the popular vote by a good 4-5%

Ed Anger and Spicy have a lot of pull here, so that makes sense.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on October 04, 2016, 11:12:14 AM
I can't think of any relevant metric in which Hillary is vulnerable (and there are a few indeed), where Trump isn't just worse.

She's a Democrat. And Hillary. That's enough for my family, at least.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

From what I noticed, there are plenty of people who look at him and like what they see.  They particularly like the anti-Muslim stuff.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

I agree, which is why I said that people don't look at him, they just look at her.  There are lots of people who years ago made up their minds that if and when Hillary ran, they were going to vote for anyone who was running against her.  Heck, in many ways I would have counted myself in their number, but I would have never dreamed that the alternatives would be Bernie Sanders in the primaries and Donald Trump in the general election.  I might have said "anyone but Hillary" at some point but I didn't literally mean anyone

Sort of like if a pro football player is a free agent and tells his agent he's willing to sign with any team except the Browns, but he doesn't mean that he wants to go to the CFL or the Arena League.

Martinus

As Raz points out, I prefer Trump's stance on Islamism.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2016, 03:13:06 PM

As Raz points out, I prefer Trump's stance on Islamism.

That is fucking crazy.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

FunkMonk

Julian Assange trolling Trump's Reddit and 4chan supporters was pretty amusing today.

"STAY UP TILL 4AM FOR VITAL INFORMATION THAT WILL BURY HILLARY"

*4am*

"BUY MY BOOK TO FIND OUT THE TRUTH"

*end transmission*
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 04, 2016, 03:47:00 PM
https://youtu.be/K5QbDk8EUWw

:lol:

So these are Trump supporters angry that no relevant celebrities will support him? I just skipped towards the end when they tell me that we should make America great again for everyone.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.