2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: frunk on September 28, 2016, 02:27:48 PM
"My dad was able to keep from insulting someone during a debate.  I'm so proud of him I'll always remember it."

Sometimes I think the Trumps are from some alternate universe where standards for personal behavior are waaay lower.

I'm curious as to what it is going to become. Trumps also seem unable to complete thoughts.

Quote"And that was a big moment for me and probably will actually become — my life and this campaign — and probably will be something I'll always remember."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2016, 02:33:38 PM
Quote from: frunk on September 28, 2016, 02:27:48 PM
"My dad was able to keep from insulting someone during a debate.  I'm so proud of him I'll always remember it."

Sometimes I think the Trumps are from some alternate universe where standards for personal behavior are waaay lower.

I'm curious as to what it is going to become. Trumps also seem unable to complete thoughts.

Quote"And that was a big moment for me and probably will actually become — my life and this campaign — and probably will be something I'll always remember."

He does not appear to have mental... stamina.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Liep

Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2016, 02:33:38 PM
"And that was a big moment for me and probably will actually become — my life and this campaign — and probably will be something I'll always remember."
[/quote]

That sounds exactly like our Crown Prince.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2016, 02:22:29 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 28, 2016, 02:20:18 PM
He has a point.  There is no behavior that so outrageously beyond the pale that will impact his core constituency.  They are so outraged by the "system" that they couldn't care less they are voting for a disreputable scumbag in the running for the biggest jackass on the planet. 

It's like disgruntled passengers on the Titanic demanding ice cubes.

Sure, he has a point, but it seems a little silly to make that same point every time anyone says anything that isn't pro Trump.

You just seem a little overly optimistic.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

celedhring

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2016, 03:06:14 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 28, 2016, 02:46:41 PMYou just seem a little overly optimistic.

Optimistic about what?

About him developing some kind of interesting discourse, I guess.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on September 28, 2016, 03:07:46 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2016, 03:06:14 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 28, 2016, 02:46:41 PMYou just seem a little overly optimistic.

Optimistic about what?

About him developing some kind of interesting discourse, I guess.

Well he can mange if you want to talk football or beer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

garbon

By the way, did we all see that Clarissa/Sabrina is Johnson's CT campaign chair?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2016, 03:59:37 PM
We all did not.

:(
---

Fighting Joe tearing up Trump

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/joe-biden-wants-know-what-hell-trump-talking-about-n655576

QuoteJoe Biden Wants to Know 'What in the Hell' Trump Is Talking About

Vice President Joe Biden returned to the campaign trail for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton Tuesday with nothing but scorn for her Republican rival Donald Trump.

In front of a young crowd at Drexel University, Biden excoriated Trump for two comments in particular from the first presidential debate Monday: one on taxes and the other on the housing burst of 2008.

"He acknowledged that he didn't pay taxes because he said ... because he's smart; makes him smart," Biden said, referring to an interjection Trump made when Clinton suggested he possibly did not pay federal taxes.

"Tell that to the janitor in here who's paying taxes!" answered Biden raising his voice.

"Tell that to your mothers and fathers who are breaking their neck to send you here, they're paying taxes ... It angers me, it angers me," Biden added.

The former senator from Delaware also criticized comments from Trump suggesting that the housing bubble collapse of 2008 was "good business" for him.

"What in the hell is he talking about?" the vice president wondered aloud to the few hundred gathered at Drexel's "Great Court."

"Can you imagine Ronald Reagan ... saying it's good business to take advantage of people's misery? Rooting for that misery?" he said bitingly.

Biden made an impassioned plea to the young people in the room to get out and vote for Clinton. He acknowledged that while many millennials are not "overjoyed" with Trump or Clinton, President Trump is not an acceptable outcome.

Biden concluded with a defiant optimistic message that the United States was second to no country.

"We own the future, we own the finish line!" He concluded to cheers.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2016, 01:56:53 PM
The Trump Foundation work is quite something...

There's this article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-donald-trump-retooled-his-charity-to-spend-other-peoples-money/2016/09/10/da8cce64-75df-11e6-8149-b8d05321db62_story.html

QuoteTrump had earlier gone to a charity in New Jersey — the Charles Evans Foundation, named for a deceased businessman — and asked for a donation. Trump said he was raising money for the Palm Beach Police Foundation.

The Evans Foundation said yes. In 2009 and 2010, it gave a total of $150,000 to the Donald J. Trump Foundation, a small charity that the Republican presidential nominee founded in 1987.

Then, Trump's foundation turned around and made donations to the police group in South Florida. In those years, the Trump Foundation's gifts totaled $150,000.

Trump had effectively turned the Evans Foundation's gifts into his own gifts, without adding any money of his own.

On the night that he won the Palm Tree Award for his philanthropy, Trump may have actually made money. The gala was held at his Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, and the police foundation paid to rent the room. It's unclear how much was paid in 2010, but the police foundation reported in its tax filings that it rented Mar-a-Lago in 2014 for $276,463.

Also the money laundering story seems to be gaining legs - the story being that in lieu of getting paid, Trump got donations to his charity (tax free and tax deductible); then the charity would turn around and pay the full value of the money to Trump tax free.

Now, I've only seen this as chatter rather than substantiated stories at this point but that's pretty damning - and I think unambiguously criminal - if true.

That just makes him smart. Like his federal taxes.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess