2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Apparently Newsweek supposedly has proof that Trump knowingly broke the Cuban Embargo in 1998

https://www.facebook.com/therachelmaddowshow/videos/10153958086534067/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2016, 11:08:59 PM
Apparently Newsweek supposedly has proof that Trump knowingly broke the Cuban Embargo in 1998

Trump's a corporate fat cat and a crook. No doubt in my mind he would not do b.s. like this.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: 11B4V on September 28, 2016, 11:53:34 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2016, 11:08:59 PM

Trump's a corporate fat cat and a crook. No doubt in my mind he would not do b.s. like this.

Trump must be a genius. Most billionaires simply lack mental acumen to micromanage decisions of their subsidiaries.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on September 28, 2016, 09:35:11 PM
Body shaming motivates people to lose weight.

Skeptical. I'm not sure an eating disorder is the best way to lose weight.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 28, 2016, 10:27:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2016, 08:50:18 PM
I thought you would easily see what a disaster a Trump presidency would be, and that the only realistic way of preventing it is to vote for Hillary.

I can easily see the disaster a Trump Presidency would be, but I am not going to put that ahead of my ideal that the Presidential race should not be an either-or choice.

Cool, Don Quixote. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I was thinking about that on the tube and I think that's actually quite a bad way to try and make a 3rd party viable.

If something fantastical happened and a 3rd party candidate won, then what? We have a president whom no politician feels particularly beholden to as he's the only one of his party in power?

Or is the hope that we get Trump and that fractures 2 party system enough that 3rd parties seem viable? So as in, willing to sacrifice stability and security of American in order to help it?

Seems like a more logical, but of course difficult, path would be to raise up local candidates of a third party across the US and work on getting those into positions like state congresses, governorships, us congress. You know, actually putting in the legwork to make a third party viable. Of course, that's a lot more difficult than voting for someone who won't win to satisfy one's ideals.

Savonarola

One for you vM:The Detroit News Endorses Gary Johnson for President

Detroit has two major newspaper; the News is the right leaning one (the Free Press is the left.)  This is the first time the News has endorsed a non-Republican presidential candidate since their founding in 1873 (though they did endorse no one in 2004.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 28, 2016, 10:27:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2016, 08:50:18 PM
I thought you would easily see what a disaster a Trump presidency would be, and that the only realistic way of preventing it is to vote for Hillary.

I can easily see the disaster a Trump Presidency would be, but I am not going to put that ahead of my ideal that the Presidential race should not be an either-or choice.
So your ideal is that decisions should be made on what makes you feel good, not on their effect on the practical outcome?

jimmy olsen

PPP says that Clinton is +2 in NC and FL, and +6 in VA, CO, and PA.

Won the debate by a 20 point margin in all those states.
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2016/09/clinton-leads-in-key-battlegrounds-seen-as-big-debate-winner.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/298423-trump-talking-points-mention-monica-lewinsky

QuoteTrump camp talking points: Mention Monica Lewinsky

Donald Trump's campaign is encouraging surrogates for the GOP nominee to talk about Monica Lewinsky in order to attack Hillary Clinton, according to a report by CNN. 

"Mr. Trump has never treated women the way Hillary Clinton and her husband did when they actively worked to destroy Bill Clinton's accusers," read a list of campaign talking points.

"Hillary Clinton bullied and smeared women like Paula Jones, Gennifer Flowers and Monica Lewinsky," read another talking point.

"Are you blaming Hillary for Bill's infidelities? No, however, she's been an active participant in trying to destroy the women who has come forward with a claim," the memo went on.

During and after the presidential debate on Monday, Trump praised himself for not launching personal attacks on the Clintons.

But Rudy Giuliani seemed to pull a play from the talking points as he introduced Trump at a Wednesday rally, accusing the Democratic nominee of doing more harm to women by covering up her husband's affairs.

"Every time a woman would come along and say Bill Clinton did something to her, who was the biggest attacker of that woman?" Giuliani asked the crowd.

The Trump team is trying to counterpunch after Clinton went after him for his treatment of women at the debate, especially for allegedly calling former Miss Universe Alicia Machado "Miss Piggy" when she gained weight.

So they don't have specifics? And then we're supposed to think that Hillary should have been kind and gracious to women who slept with her husband? :unsure:

What is going on with the Trump campaign?

jimmy olsen

Sound a bit desperate. If they go all in on this why wouldn't Clinton respond with the rape accusations that have been mad against Trump?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2016, 07:28:56 AM
Sound a bit desperate. If they go all in on this why wouldn't Clinton respond with the rape accusations that have been mad against Trump?

Because Trump excels at that level?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk