News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2016, 03:28:51 AM
Yes, I guess we could pretend that you and I live in the middle east. Of course, we don't.

Google tells me there are 1.6 billion muslims. I see 2 people on that roof.

Not shown: the crowd downstairs which cheers on and waits to stone the victim if he, by any chance, survives.

Or approximately 50% of British muslims who think homosexuality should be a crime (as opposed to the remaining 50% who just think it is morally unacceptable).

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2016, 01:36:19 AM
The corner of paternalism (or perhaps one should call it "maternalism"). Historically it was conservatives, not liberals, that would try to police thought and language through decency and blasphemy laws, ban books and speakers from libraries and universities, ruin lives of people who were not "right thinking" by having them lose their jobs or slandering them (or more recently, ban or restrict video games and comic books), ban the use of substances and behaviours deemed unhealthy etc. Now the left is doing that with abandon. And its unfixable because the movement has been taken over by people with an authoritarian mindset - that is the very opposite of what liberalism should be about.
Historically? Seems to be that way in the present as well. Different in targets, but similar in methods to the overbearing lefties.

Solmyr

It's because more and more people who don't respect others and think they can say anything without consequence are being called out on it. So naturally, those people have started complaining about the "authoritarian PC left".

garbon

Quote from: Solmyr on September 02, 2016, 05:15:00 AM
It's because more and more, people who don't respect others and think they can say anything without consequence, are being called out on it. So naturally, those people have started complaining about the "authoritarian PC left".

Put in some commas where I think you mean them. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Well, I wrote it as "more and more people", but your way works too. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on September 02, 2016, 05:10:06 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2016, 01:36:19 AM
The corner of paternalism (or perhaps one should call it "maternalism"). Historically it was conservatives, not liberals, that would try to police thought and language through decency and blasphemy laws, ban books and speakers from libraries and universities, ruin lives of people who were not "right thinking" by having them lose their jobs or slandering them (or more recently, ban or restrict video games and comic books), ban the use of substances and behaviours deemed unhealthy etc. Now the left is doing that with abandon. And its unfixable because the movement has been taken over by people with an authoritarian mindset - that is the very opposite of what liberalism should be about.
Historically? Seems to be that way in the present as well. Different in targets, but similar in methods to the overbearing lefties.

Sorry, I misspoke. Yes, convervatives are still doing this. What I meant to say is that it used to be just conservatives, but now it is both conservatives and the "new left" (only that each side has different "gods" and thus different "blasphemies").

Martinus

Quote from: Solmyr on September 02, 2016, 05:15:00 AM
It's because more and more people who don't respect others and think they can say anything without consequence are being called out on it. So naturally, those people have started complaining about the "authoritarian PC left".

If only those outspoken disrespectful minorities weren't so uppity, right?

garbon

I find it a bit funny that if you espouse tolerance, you have to be tolerant of intolerance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2016, 06:18:00 AM
I find it a bit funny that if you espouse tolerance, you have to be tolerant of intolerance.

I know, right?

CountDeMoney

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I thought that pic was from Battle of the network stars. Jaime Farr's high dive or something.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2016, 02:46:40 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2016, 02:39:31 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2016, 02:37:26 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2016, 02:34:24 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2016, 02:23:05 AM
Must be so nice to have enough money to want to cheer on people who hate you.

You mean like with you and Muslims?

I've yet to personally encounter a muslim who wants to see me punished. Well at least that they vocalized. Can't say the same for a lot of other groups.

You are kidding, right?

Can you tell me a couple of examples of people you personally encountered who wanted to see you punished and vocalized it?

Sure. On many occasions, Christians who have told me that I'm going to hell, deserve punishment for my sinful behavior. And then the drive by racial epithets but then those could have just been white people saying 'hey, what's up' rather than trying to be threatening.
"I've yet to personally encounter a Nazi who wants me dead.  But on many occasions I've been called a kike."

garbon

QuoteTrump backer warns of ubiquitous taco trucks
The founder of Latinos for Trump was making a point on TV last night about the dominance of his culture (he said) and ended up warning: "If you don't do something about it, you're going to have taco trucks on every corner."

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2016, 02:39:49 AM
I mean, I doubt that a lot of people who read Mark Twain's "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" or who attend speeches by Sam Harris, Ben Shapiro (or even Milo Yannopolouloulous or Ann Coulter) hate me. Which is not something I can say about people who read Qu'ran.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn were required reading in school, so I could find a whole bunch of people who read that book and would hate you.  I could probably find lots of people who have rad Sam Harris's works and hate Muslims.  I bet I can find people who read the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and read something by Sam Harris that hate you and Muslims.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017