News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

you don't agree white people care about it far more than black people?

garbon

I think there are plenty of black people who care about it. Plenty who are disgusted by illegal immigration. Is that likely to make them vote Repub, no not really, but care about the issue is still there.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

huh, I stand corrected then. I figured it was mainly an issue white people cared about far more than any other group

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2016, 03:30:39 PM
I think there are plenty of black people who care about it. Plenty who are disgusted by illegal immigration. Is that likely to make them vote Repub, no not really, but care about the issue is still there.

Yeah, as long as the GOP anti-immigrant rhetoric remains so tightly coupled with it's anti-black rhetoric in support of white identity politics I expect it won't get that much traction with black people in the US.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2016, 03:45:29 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2016, 03:30:39 PM

Yeah, as long as the GOP anti-immigrant rhetoric remains so tightly coupled with it's anti-black rhetoric in support of white identity politics I expect it won't get that much traction with black people in the US.

"Anti-black rhetoric"? :yeahright:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2016, 03:54:00 PM
Something something about dog whistles.

Well that's one thing.

But Trump has been making some very explicitly racist anti-immigrant things.  I've heard nothing remotely similar from him about blacks.  So I don't understand why Jacob would equate anti-immigrant and anti-black.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2016, 03:59:59 PM

Well that's one thing.

But Trump has been making some very explicitly racist anti-immigrant things.  I've heard nothing remotely similar from him about blacks.  So I don't understand why Jacob would equate anti-immigrant and anti-black.

Well he seems to have a very ignorant view of black people. Like that we all live in ghettos in the inner city with no jobs and terrible schools. We've 'nothing to lose' in voting for him.

Also, from Guardian:
QuoteA new USA Today/ Suffolk University poll of likely voters has Clinton up 48-41 in a head-to-head race with Trump and up 42-35 in a four-way race. Those margins are in line with the averages.

The poll probes some interesting opinions apart from presidential preference. For example, asked "Just your own view, do you think Donald Trump is a racist?" 47% said no – but 44% said yes. 83% of African American voters surveyed said yes, while 61% of Hispanic voters said yes.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2016, 04:08:57 PM

Well that's one thing.

Well he seems to have a very ignorant view of black people. Like that we all live in ghettos in the inner city with no jobs and terrible schools. We've 'nothing to lose' in voting for him.

Also, from Guardian:
QuoteA new USA Today/ Suffolk University poll of likely voters has Clinton up 48-41 in a head-to-head race with Trump and up 42-35 in a four-way race. Those margins are in line with the averages.

The poll probes some interesting opinions apart from presidential preference. For example, asked "Just your own view, do you think Donald Trump is a racist?" 47% said no – but 44% said yes. 83% of African American voters surveyed said yes, while 61% of Hispanic voters said yes.

I agree he seems fairly ignorant.  I also didn't like that he used words like "them" and "you" when talking to blacks, and not "us".

But ignorant doesn't equal "anti-black".

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2016, 04:23:37 PM

Well that's one thing.

Also, from Guardian:

I agree he seems fairly ignorant.  I also didn't like that he used words like "them" and "you" when talking to blacks, and not "us".

Apparently black people disagree with you.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2016, 04:42:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2016, 04:23:37 PM

Well that's one thing.

Also, from Guardian:

Apparently black people disagree with you.

"Is a racist" is different than "says anti-black things", which is what I was arguing.

garbon

I don't think it is different in this instance. Also, more broadly, Trump isn't the only member of the GOP political class.

Jacob

I am not equating anti-immigrant with anti-black rhetoric. I am saying that the two distinct phenomena are often closely associated in GOP rhetoric where they occur. And as long as that holds true, the anti-immigrant rhetoric is less likely to find purchase among black Americans.

Jacob

QuoteAfter obscene tirade, Maine governor calls people of color, Hispanics 'the enemy' in drug war
During his apology at a news conference Friday, LePage offered more race-based comments that have drawn fire, saying, "A bad guy is a bad guy. I don't care what color it is. When you go to war ... you try to identify the enemy. The enemy right now, the overwhelming majority of people coming in, are people of color or people of Hispanic origin."

LePage, whose second and final term of governor ends in 2019, has a history of drawing attention for his blunt remarks. In January, he said drug dealers with names like "D-Money, Smoothie, Shifty" are getting Maine's white girls pregnant. He later apologized, saying he meant to say "Maine women" and not "white women."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-governor-lepage-racial-comments-20160827-story.html

QuoteSpeaking on Wednesday, he denied it was racist, but said that since January he had been putting together a binder cataloguing drug arrests in the state, and that "90-plus per cent of those pictures in my book, and it's a three-ringed binder, are black and Hispanic people".

Asked by reporters to provide the binder, Mr LePage replied: "Let me tell you something: Black people come up the highway and they kill Mainers. You ought to look into that."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37204837