News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

So apparently Trump is ranting about deporting Clinton at his speech in Arizona?

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 31, 2016, 10:54:51 PM
Conservatives hate women, minorities, unions and government.  They love fetuses and money.

Canadian conservatives seem to be pretty much just monarchists.

I hate unions, and love our Sovereign, fetuses and money. :wub:

Visiting Buckingham Palace this summer was just so dreamy. :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2016, 10:48:42 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 31, 2016, 10:41:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2016, 10:39:04 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 31, 2016, 09:41:49 PM
The latest from crazytown
"I actually supported Ted Cruz. I thought he was fabulous, but I also see that at the end of the day, God raised up, I believe, Donald Trump who was going to be the nominee in this election," the Minnesota Republican said in the interview, which was released Tuesday. "I don't think God sits things out. He's a sovereign God. Donald Trump became our nominee."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/31/politics/michele-bachmann-donald-trump-god-raised-up/index.html?sr=fbCNN090116michele-bachmann-donald-trump-god-raised-up1216AMVODtopLink&linkId=28272608

The GOP is going to have to have a good long discussion about what makes a person conservative.

Conservative just means wants to keep the status quo and managing the inevitible societal changes as slowly and painlessly as possible. By that Burkean definition it is hard to argue that the Democratic party is not the most conservative party in America, with the Republican, Libertarian and Green parties being various kinds of radicals.

Who wants to change society more Barrister? The Dems or the GOP?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Take it to another thread, Seoul brother.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Phew, Trump takes a mad chop on his KFC Double Down. I wonder why his strategists having him hang his hat so proudly on immigration. Isn't even a key issue for most Americans.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/294057-trump-shuts-down-talk-of-softening-on-immigration

QuoteTrump shuts down talk of softening on immigration

Donald Trump laid out a 10-point, hard-line immigration plan in Phoenix Wednesday night that quashed any expectations he would pivot from his position or soften his tone.

Hours after giving subdued comments in Mexico City at a joint press appearance with Mexico's president, Trump vowed to build his promised wall on the southern border and warned that no one in the country illegally would be exempt from deportation. 

"As with any law enforcement activity, we will set priorities. But unlike this administration, no one will be immune or exempt from enforcement," Trump said during the more than hour-long speech.
"Anyone who has entered the United States illegally is subject to deportation, that is what it means to have laws and to have a country. Otherwise we don't have a country."

But Trump made it clear that border security and removing illegal immigrants who are a threat to the country top his list of goals ahead of removing otherwise law-abiding people; he had previously called for the immediate deportation of the roughly 11 million people living in the country illegally.

"On day one, we will begin working on an impenetrable, physical, tall, powerful, beautiful southern border wall," he said, including plans for above- and below-ground sensor technology and increased border patrol officers.

He said a "deportation task force" and triple the number of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers would focus on swiftly removing illegal immigrants who have committed violent crimes or who pose security threats. And Trump said those overstaying visas, recent arrivals and people dependent on welfare would also be on the top of the list for deportation.

The speech effectively shut down those anticipating Trump would lean toward the center as the general election race heats up. And it's an embrace of the controversial style of campaign that won him the hearts of the GOP base but has driven Trump's unfavorable ratings with a general electorate into the ground.

The 10-point plan emphasized conservative immigration tenants like ending the "catch-and-release" of undocumented immigrants, blocking federal funds for sanctuary cities, strengthening E-Verify, and deporting immigrants back to their country of origin instead of just putting them over the border.

Recent inconsistent rhetoric from Trump and his staff, especially surrounding mass deportations, prompted questions as to whether the campaign was planning a break from the hard-line stance he rode to victory in the primaries. Trump's poor standing in the polls has only heightened the scrutiny of his position.

The GOP nominee has led in just one national poll since late July — Clinton has led in 34 of the last 36 polls according to RealClearPolitics.

Wednesday's speech shows that the Trump team is confident in the message he has been delivering since his campaign launched.

The speech emphasized a commitment to strict enforcement of immigration laws, bashing President Obama and Hillary Clinton as promoting lawless and "deadly non-enforcement policies that allow thousands of criminal aliens to freely roam our streets."

"Clinton's plan would trigger a constitutional crisis unlike almost anything we have ever seen before," he said, accusing her of looking to legislate from the Oval Office.

"In effect, she would be abolishing the lawmaking powers of Congress in order to write her own laws from the Oval Office — and you see what bad judgment she has."

He swore off any type of legal status for those already in America illegally. 

"For those here illegally today seeking legal status, they will have one route and one route only — to return home and apply for reentry like everyone else under the rules of the new immigration system," he said.

"We will break the cycle of amnesty and illegal immigration. There will be no amnesty. Our message to the world will be this — you cannot obtain legal status or become a citizen of the United States by illegally entering our country. Can't do it."

But he left the door open to reevaluating the approach to illegal immigrants already in America once his goals have been accomplished. 

"In several years, when we have accomplished all of our deportation goals and truly ended illegal immigration for good, including the construction of a great wall," he said, "then, and only then, will we be in a position to consider the appropriate disposition of those individuals who remain."

Speaking to the white, working-class voters who make up the heartbeat of his base, Trump framed immigration — both legal and illegal — as a significant risk for those already in America.

"Anyone who tells you the core issue is the needs of those living here illegally has simply spent too much time in Washington," he said. "There is only one core issue in the immigration debate, and that issue is the well-being of the American people."

And he noted that "record-high" legal immigration is jeopardizing the economic wellbeing of American workers, calling for a new "immigration commission" to put "America first."

"We have to listen to the concerns that working people have over the record pace of immigration and its impact on their jobs, wages, housing, schools, tax bills, and living conditions. These are valid concerns," he said.
Trump reiterated his opposition to the admittance of Syrian refugees and his plan to halt immigration from countries where proper screening can't be conducted. He said the "extreme vetting" of immigrants would include questioning people about where they stand on radical Islam, honor killings and respect for gay people, women and minorities.

"It's our right as a sovereign nation to choose immigrants that we think are the likeliest to thrive and flourish and love us," he said, pointing to the challenges of assimilation.

Trump's direction became clear even before the speech started, as the speakers ahead of the rally embraced the tough immigration approach that ran through the primary.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio and mothers whose children were killed by undocumented immigrants warmed the crowd up for Trump, along with Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Trump's running mate Mike Pence. Before beginning to lay out his plan, Trump detailed several gruesome murders of Americans by illegal immigrants.

Trump oriented his speech around his motto of "America first," charging that Clinton and others are putting the needs of illegal immigrants before the needs of citizens.

"The media and my opponent discuss one thing, and only this one thing: the needs of people living here illegally. The truth is, the central issue is not the needs of the 11 million illegal immigrants – or however many there may be. That has never been the central issue. It will never be the central issue," Trump said. "To all the politicians, donors and special interests, hear these words from me today: there is only one core issue in the immigration debate and it is this: the well-being of the American people. Nothing even comes a close second.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

I wonder why the Mexican president decides to meet him.

garbon

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-trump-hispanic-leaders-arizona-immigration-227615

QuoteSeveral Hispanic Trump surrogates reconsider support

Several major Latino surrogates for Donald Trump are reconsidering their support for him following the Republican nominee's hardline speech on immigration Wednesday night.

Jacob Monty, a member of Trump's National Hispanic Advisory Council, has resigned, and Alfonso Aguilar, the president of the Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles, said in an interview that he is "inclined" to pull his support.

I was a strong supporter of Donald Trump when I believed he was going to address the immigration problem realistically and compassionately," said Monty, a Houston attorney who has aggressively made the Latino case for Trump. "What I heard today was not realistic and not compassionate."

He withdrew from the board following Trump's speech in Phoenix, which was heavy on calls for border security and emphasized that all immigrants in the country illegally were subject to deportation.

"When we met [earlier in August] he was going to approach this issue with a realistic plan, a compassionate plan, with a plan that was not disruptive to the immigrants that were here that were not lawbreakers," said Monty, one of the Latino leaders who met with the candidate at Trump Tower recently, a gathering at which Trump reportedly softened his tone toward undocumented immigrants already in the country. "He didn't deliver any of that."

Aguilar was once a Trump critic who earlier this summer set aside his qualms about Trump's rhetoric toward Hispanic people, and organized a letter of support signed by himself and other prominent Latino conservatives. Since then, he has repeatedly defended Trump in media appearances, as has Monty. Neither plans to support Hillary Clinton.

"It's so disappointing because we feel we took a chance, a very risky chance," Aguilar said. "We decided to make a big U-turn to see if we could make him change. We thought we were moving in the right direction ... we're disappointed. We feel misled."

Aguilar said he was not speaking on behalf of any organization, and hadn't reached a final conclusion, but was deeply troubled by Trump's address, saying that while the campaign has recently promised to deal with undocumented immigrants already living in the country in a "humane" way, "did you hear anything in that speech that was compassionate and humane? No."

He went on to add, "I can tell you there's a real possibility we will withdraw support from Donald Trump because of that disappointing speech."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on September 01, 2016, 02:14:16 AM
I wonder why the Mexican president decides to meet him.

He isn't fairing well himself politically. I think he was taking some sort of gamble on being able to look tough against Trump. Foolishly, it doesn't appear he tried that out until later in the night, after Trump was gone.

Martinus

Hey guys, I don't know if you heard, but Trump was supposed to meet the President of Mexico. I wonder what they talked about.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 01, 2016, 03:14:56 AM
I wonder what they talked about.

I think that's probably an open question given the conflicting reports from both men.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2016, 02:15:14 AM
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-trump-hispanic-leaders-arizona-immigration-227615

Several major Latino surrogates for Donald Trump are reconsidering their support for him following the Republican nominee's hardline speech on immigration Wednesday night.

This just seems bizarre to me. If there is one consistent position that Trump has been taking throughout the campaign, it's his hardline stance on immigration. It's not like he has done any pivot - he just keeps saying the same thing for over a year now. What were they expecting?

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2016, 02:11:59 AM
Phew, Trump takes a mad chop on his KFC Double Down. I wonder why his strategists having him hang his hat so proudly on immigration. Isn't even a key issue for most Americans.

I think you are wrong on the last part. It combines concerns about economy with concerns about security - I think it is a pretty nice wedge issue.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2016, 09:36:21 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 31, 2016, 08:54:26 AM
Wow, that one hit a little close to home.  Keep going, Mart <cracks open a beer>

Do people giving Tim shit mean he 'hits a nerve'?

Being bored by the same lame shit over and over again will be annoying. I just figure that perhaps if I give Marty a hint that I would appreciate some thoughts of actual substance he will eventually stop being a fucking tiresome idiotic dumbass and actually use his brain again perhaps he will come around.

QuoteI know, right?

Or maybe not. Sad.

It's difficult to take seriously the advice from someone who pretends to be a Christian. :P

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 01, 2016, 04:05:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2016, 02:15:14 AM

This just seems bizarre to me. If there is one consistent position that Trump has been taking throughout the campaign, it's his hardline stance on immigration. It's not like he has done any pivot - he just keeps saying the same thing for over a year now. What were they expecting?

To be fair, all of last week, their was speculation, based on comments from his team, that he was going to soften his position.