2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogh

Quote from: Savonarola on November 29, 2016, 06:06:38 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2016, 05:46:20 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 29, 2016, 04:23:16 PM
While it's hard to make an apple to apples comparison since the numbers are reported differently; radio seems to be minor as compared to internet news.  CNN.com (the largest on line news source in the United States) had over 60 million unique viewers in January, by June they were over 110 million.

Yes but that includes every single time anyone clicks on a link.

That's a different metric; CNN had nearly 2 Billion "Views" in June.

To be fair, unique viewers (users) for a website denotes unique browser/device visits. I access cnn.com through my personal laptop, my iPhone, my iPad, my work PC and a number of other devices. Each of these count as a "unique viewer" in website analytics, so the actual number of people reached is much lower, though obviously tempered by the fact that some devices are shared by multiple people and only counted once. Anyone clearing out their cookies, browsing incognito, changing browsers etc. are also likely to show up as multiple users. Beyond that there are issues with bots, crawlers and all sorts of other things contaminating the traffic.

Website stats are great for trend analysis for a particular website or comparing website to website, but hard to compare with other types of media consumption. Other metrics would help get a better comparison - e.g. total time spent on site. 

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

derspiess

Haven't gotten my text message confirming my tickets. COME ON DONNIE
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on November 30, 2016, 12:21:31 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2016, 10:49:01 PM
I'm frickin' going.
well of course you are dear.

I'd bet most of the people going were honest about their vote, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on November 30, 2016, 07:30:03 AM
Quote from: katmai on November 30, 2016, 12:21:31 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2016, 10:49:01 PM
I'm frickin' going.
well of course you are dear.

I'd bet most of the people going were honest about their vote, though.

I wonder if that we will become a thing with spicey's alt-right crowd. "I supported Der Trumpenfuhrer BEFORE he was elected!"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

FunkMonk

Quote from: derspiess on November 30, 2016, 08:40:31 AM
I'm not going :(

Damn.

I would genuinely be interested in a first-hand account from a languishite about what goes on in his rallies.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Not sure if derspiess would be the best to report back, what with all that blood leaving the head for different parts of the body once Trump is on stage. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Phillip V

So here's the "new" Democratic leadership elected by the party today:

Representative Nancy Pelosi of California, 76 years old
Representative Steny Hoyer of Maryland, 77 years old
Representative James Clyburn of South Carolina, 76 years old
Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, 66 years old

Good luck! :wacko:

Grey Fox

All politicians are too old.

Also Obama still not available.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson