2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

It's a shame Adolph Hitler didn't have Twitter.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Syt on November 29, 2016, 06:14:06 AM
Tweeter in chief was busy again:

"@HighonHillcrest: @jeffzeleny what PROOF do u have DonaldTrump did not suffer from millions of FRAUD votes? Journalist? Do your job! @CNN"
"@JoeBowman12: @jeffzeleny just another generic CNN part time wannabe journalist !"  @CNN still doesn't get it. They will never learn!
"@FiIibuster: @jeffzeleny Pathetic - you have no sufficient evidence that Donald Trump did not suffer from voter fraud, shame! Bad reporter.
"@sdcritic:  @HighonHillcrest @jeffzeleny @CNN There is NO QUESTION THAT #voterfraud did take place, and in favor of #CorruptHillary !"

I especially like, "You have no proof there was no fraud!" Err, that's not usually how that works, is it?

Could be though. Yi pointed out Joan shouldn't claim viper was lying about what Trudeau said as Joan hadn't reviewed all statements made by Trudeau.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Legbiter on November 29, 2016, 06:49:29 AM
World's greatest twitter troll. :thumbsup: He's using Facebook and Twitter like Roosevelt used radio for his fireside chats, bypassing the media

He's bypassing the media yes but the similarities end there.  A closer comparison would be the media intimidation campaigns in places like Turkey and Russia, which began like this.

Some of us don't think that being an online troll is worthy of admiration, much less a qualification for national leadership

The spectacle of a POTUS firing off 5 tweets in 10 minutes about a second tier journalist isn't reassuring about his ability to lead in a functional democracy
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2016, 07:49:00 AM
Could be though. Yi pointed out Joan shouldn't claim viper was lying about what Trudeau said as Joan hadn't reviewed all statements made by Trudeau.

I also know that I abused quotation marks in my statement. -_-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2016, 08:42:09 AM
The spectacle of a POTUS firing off 5 tweets in 10 minutes about a second tier journalist isn't reassuring about his ability to lead in a functional democracy

Hopefully Darth Pence can keep him in check.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

I don't mind some peoples' growing mistrust of the media, because to be fair the media was biased against trump, and they got blown away.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on November 29, 2016, 09:42:33 AM
I don't mind some peoples' growing mistrust of the media, because to be fair the media was biased against trump, and they got blown away.

How was the media biased against Trump?  Did they say things about him that weren't true?

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2016, 09:46:05 AMHow was the media biased against Trump?  Did they say things about him that weren't true?

of course the media was biased against him. he may have deserved that bias through his actions and words, but the media's reporting of him was not kind. his supporters saw that, he won, and their thoughts about the media were vindicated

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on November 29, 2016, 09:52:14 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2016, 09:46:05 AMHow was the media biased against Trump?  Did they say things about him that weren't true?

of course the media was biased against him. he may have deserved that bias through his actions and words, but the media's reporting of him was not kind. his supporters saw that, he won, and their thoughts about the media were vindicated

Bias isn't the same as being unkind, it typically involves a lack of fairness. Where was the lack of fairness?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Weren't they just reporting all the things he said?

Now I'm not saying there aren't biases, but I think a lot of the journalist who were voting democrat, were kind of hoping just reporting his hate filled or stupid statements would be enough to sink him, which turned out to be an error.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

I get the impression you're using the word bias differently than most people do.  You seem to be saying that the media accurately reported what he said and did, which was often (always) negative, and that this shows bias.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Bias isn't the same as being unkind, it typically involves a lack of fairness. Where was the lack of fairness?

everyone has bias, and everyone's preconceived notions impact how they view/interpret later events. trump got off on the wrong foot with the media, and he and the media battled it out all election long. depending how you define unfair, the media was unfair to trump in that they treated essentially all of his actions as being the worst thing ever. they could have attacked hillary more, but they didn't.

why is there a knee jerk reaction to "the media was biased against trump"?

@mongers, reporters (almost?) always insert their own views when reporting facts

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2016, 07:12:58 PMWhat will help them win in 2020 is go all in on attacking millionaires and billionaires. Because the voters are dumb.

Not sure if serious, but I do think the Dems need a simple "dumb" set of policy mantras in 2020. It's quite obvious that's what people want in our country.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 29, 2016, 10:07:48 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2016, 07:12:58 PMWhat will help them win in 2020 is go all in on attacking millionaires and billionaires. Because the voters are dumb.

Not sure if serious, but I do think the Dems need a simple "dumb" set of policy mantras in 2020. It's quite obvious that's what people want in our country.

I am absolutely serious. That is what is going to happen and almost happened this year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."