2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 28, 2016, 01:16:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 28, 2016, 01:04:31 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 28, 2016, 01:01:56 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 28, 2016, 12:53:41 PM
I expect he's trying to protect the integrity of the FBI (insert Seedy rant) and the integrity of the investigation.

Odd way of doing it. Krugman on Twitter just now:
QuoteIf we don't hear more from Comey, we just have to conclude that he was trying to swing election. And *that* should be the story.

I don't follow.

My point is if this hidden cache of emails became public later, which it invariably would, people would say, with some justification, that the FBI was engaged in a coverup.

Oh, I see, sorry. That is a very good point. So Comey is between a rock and a hard place, and chose this as the least bad course of action?

It might make sense if this wasn't the same individual who noted FBI recommended no charges be filed but then went on an unusual 15 minute speech about how careless Hillary had been.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 28, 2016, 01:26:15 PM
Can they even try to impeach Clinton over the emails? I'd have imagined that you can only impeach a president for actions as president? Or is this not the case?

The Constitution doesn't specify but the only two examples in existence occurred for incidents that occurred while President.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2016, 01:28:37 PM
The Constitution doesn't specify but the only two examples in existence occurred for incidents that occurred while President.

I thought it was three: Tricky Dick, Bubba, and Andrew Johnson.

edit: Oh wait, Nixon was never impeached, was he?

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on October 28, 2016, 01:23:47 PM
Was at a business lunch today and a co-worker started ranting about how Trump supposedly raped a 13 year old and is going to go to jail for it. :bleeding:

They should both go to jail and share the first ever coed cell. A TV camera should film what happens next for America's new reality TV program: "The West Wing (of Rikers Island)".
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 28, 2016, 01:30:23 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2016, 01:28:37 PM

I thought it was three: Tricky Dick, Bubba, and Andrew Johnson.

Tricky resigned before they could do it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

Damn, another term of the GOP trying to impeach a Clinton.  :bleeding:

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 28, 2016, 01:33:55 PM

Not if they lose their grip on Congress.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on October 28, 2016, 01:33:55 PM

If they lose the Senate they will have to wait two years until the Democrats stop voting.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 28, 2016, 01:04:31 PM
I don't follow.

Unusual for a law enforcement agency to go public when it decides to open (or reopen) an investigation.  In fact the FBI press manual uses the term "unusual circumstances" as the standard for doing so.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2016, 01:27:59 PM
It might make sense if this wasn't the same individual who noted FBI recommended no charges be filed but then went on an unusual 15 minute speech about how careless Hillary had been.

That (BTW) was a flat out violation of FBI policy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 28, 2016, 01:23:22 PM
But the House Republicans will surely drag this on forever so they can impeach President Clinton.

I think her Administration would be the first to have a concurrent Congressional investigation at the same time.  I wonder how much that would cost.  Or should they just establish a subcommittee from the outset?

FunkMonk

Lol

QuoteWhy did FBI Director James Comey shock Washington on Friday with an announcement that the FBI "has learned of the existence of emails" related to Hillary Clinton's private email server, and what does it mean?

The truth is Comey didn't have a choice. Because the new information followed his sworn testimony about the case, Comey was obligated by Department of Justice rules to keep the relevant committees apprised.

Under oath Comey had stated that the bureau had completed its review. Once he learned that there were new emails that required examination, Comey had to notify Congress that he had to amend his testimony because it was no longer true.

Comey's letter doesn't say his agents have discovered new witnesses or documents suggesting a criminal act occurred. Rather, he only suggests that evidence that had not yet been examined and, because it was relevant to the case, needs to be reviewed.

There's also a political dimension. Had Comey not told Congress and it emerged after the election that new materials had come into its possession, the director and his entire agency's credibility might have been questioned.

In his letter, Comey did not use the phrase being touted by Republicans that the case had been reopened. Technically it was never closed. Nor did he signal at all about the importance or unimportance about the emails.

http://www.newsweek.com/fbi-reviewing-more
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom