2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

derspiess

It was lap band surgery, which has a fairly high failure rate.  He should have gone for the gastric sleeve thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 08:55:05 AM
When you disagree with the agenda being pushed, isn't it your moral obligation to obstruct?

Obstruction is one political strategy out of many, not a moral imperative.  There are other ways to impact and change agenda than that.  But most of those might make the other party look good, so obstruction is better.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2013, 01:02:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 08:55:05 AM
When you disagree with the agenda being pushed, isn't it your moral obligation to obstruct?

Obstruction is one political strategy out of many, not a moral imperative.  There are other ways to impact and change agenda than that.  But most of those might make the other party look good, so obstruction is better.

I'm not of the opinion that obstruction is *always* the best route.  Sometimes it's best to compromise.  Sometimes it's not.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2013, 01:09:10 PM
I'm not of the opinion that obstruction is *always* the best route.  Sometimes it's best to compromise.  Sometimes it's not.

Sometimes I think the Republicans were so upset by Clinton always taking credit for their work that they decided to just not do anything good while a Democrat is in office ever again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I suppose you can justify a coup using the same principles.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 01:06:01 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 01:03:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2013, 12:30:28 PM
Why do you think he would get shellacked in the general?

Too New York-- his name & accent won't play well in the heartland.  Too far left.  Esablished anti-gun record.

He was making some good inroads toward the middle by taking on the teacher unions but I'm not seeing a whole lot else now that would help grab the center.

:hmm:

I'd say the gun thing would be a good way to do so... Plus, eastern Republicans read better to the Heartland. More in keeping with the socially liberal, fiscally conservative that we like.

Given that the only Republicans to be elected President in the last 50 years were 2 from Texas and 2 from California, I'd say your analysis is questionable at best.

merithyn

Quote from: dps on May 21, 2013, 02:39:01 PM

Given that the only Republicans to be elected President in the last 50 years were 2 from Texas and 2 from California, I'd say your analysis is questionable at best.

Are you trying to equate the Republican party today to the Republican party of even 15 years ago, much less 50? Besides, Reagan may have lived in California when he was elected, but he was from Illinois.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

dps

Quote from: merithyn on May 21, 2013, 03:08:33 PM
Quote from: dps on May 21, 2013, 02:39:01 PM

Are you trying to equate the Republican party today to the Republican party of even 15 years ago, much less 50? Besides, Reagan may have lived in California when he was elected, but he was from Illinois.

Illinios still isn't the east coast.  Bush the Elder, granted, was originally from Massachusetts.

The degree of similarity between the Republican party of today and that of 15 or 50 years ago isn't the point.  If eastern Republicans are so much more acceptable in the heartland, Romney would have done better last year.

merithyn

Quote from: dps on May 21, 2013, 03:21:49 PM

Illinios still isn't the east coast.  Bush the Elder, granted, was originally from Massachusetts.

The degree of similarity between the Republican party of today and that of 15 or 50 years ago isn't the point.  If eastern Republicans are so much more acceptable in the heartland, Romney would have done better last year.

Romney did better than expected in the midwest. Can you imagine how Paul Ryan or Newt Gingrich would have done?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on May 21, 2013, 03:44:24 PM
Quote from: dps on May 21, 2013, 03:21:49 PM

Romney did better than expected in the midwest. Can you imagine how Paul Ryan or Newt Gingrich would have done?
Probably roughly as well.  You're too close to the problem to judge effectively.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

Here is a game where you can play out your 2016 scenarios/fantasies (includes 2012): http://270soft.com/us-election-games/president-election-game-2016/

derspiess

This should be enough to make grabon's head explode:

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/21/camille_paglia_it_remains_baffling_how_anyone_would_think_that_hillary_clinton_is_our_party%E2%80%99s_best_chance/

QuoteAny hopes, fears or predictions for the presidential elections in 2016?

As a registered Democrat, I am praying for a credible presidential candidate to emerge from the younger tier of politicians in their late 40s. A governor with executive experience would be ideal. It's time to put my baby-boom generation out to pasture! We've had our day and managed to muck up a hell of a lot. It remains baffling how anyone would think that Hillary Clinton (born the same year as me) is our party's best chance. She has more sooty baggage than a 90-car freight train. And what exactly has she ever accomplished — beyond bullishly covering for her philandering husband? She's certainly busy, busy and ever on the move — with the tunnel-vision workaholism of someone trying to blot out uncomfortable private thoughts.

I for one think it was a very big deal that our ambassador was murdered in Benghazi. In saying "I take responsibility" for it as secretary of state, Hillary should have resigned immediately. The weak response by the Obama administration to that tragedy has given a huge opening to Republicans in the next presidential election. The impression has been amply given that Benghazi was treated as a public relations matter to massage rather than as the major and outrageous attack on the U.S. that it was.

Throughout history, ambassadors have always been symbolic incarnations of the sovereignty of their nations and the dignity of their leaders. It's even a key motif in "King Lear." As far as I'm concerned, Hillary disqualified herself for the presidency in that fist-pounding moment at a congressional hearing when she said, "What difference does it make what we knew and when we knew it, Senator?" Democrats have got to shake off the Clinton albatross and find new blood. The escalating instability not just in Egypt but throughout the Mideast is very ominous. There is a clash of cultures brewing in the world that may take a century or more to resolve — and there is no guarantee that the secular West will win.

Luv me some Camille :)

garbon

Camille hates Hillary and also wrote an op-ed in support of Sarah Palin (though admittedly during that period when we hadn't all learned how dumb the grizzly mom is). I don't love Camille for her take on politics. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Camille's part of that wing of the Democratic left that thinks the party's gone too lamestream and thinks George McGovern would still have a chance today, if only he were alive.