2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2013, 01:32:02 PM
Yes, it would. That's part of the compromise.

I'm with DerSpiess here. Civil unions for gays is a compromise. Civil unions for all is not.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Gee wiz, a couple of weeks ago I argued that Republicans are less likely to favor compromise then Dems.  Even had some polls to back it up.  Course Derpseiss objected.

I do wonder what sort of Tyranny Republicans believe they are preventing by being obstructionist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 10, 2013, 01:59:35 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2013, 01:32:02 PM
Yes, it would. That's part of the compromise.

I'm with DerSpiess here. Civil unions for gays is a compromise. Civil unions for all is not.

Civil Unions is second class marriage if it only applies to gheys. Civil Unions for all is mere semantics; gheys get to marry but what once was called marriage is no longer called marriage.

The thing is that conservitards are just plain wrong on this issue. They are wrong about the claims that ghey marriage harms regular marriage, they are wrong when they claim that churches will be forced to marry gheys and they are immoral in denying citizens who happen to be ghey the same civil rights that non-gheys get.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on May 10, 2013, 02:04:49 PM
Civil Unions is second class marriage if it only applies to gheys. Civil Unions for all is mere semantics; gheys get to marry but what once was called marriage is no longer called marriage.

That really depends on whether there are actual differences between marriages and unions beside the name. But yeah, that fig leaf of "marriage is better than civil unions" is what allows gay marriage proponents to call them a compromise instead of a win.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2013, 01:48:01 PM
I suppose all the Paul Ryan budgets that called for $0 total federal spending tipped you off?

The Paul Ryan budgets either called for slashing the discretionary portion of the federal budget to zero several decades out, or suffered from some huge basic math errors, depending on how you interpret them.
I don't think that represents what Ryan truly expects or perhaps even wants but that's because I don't think the Ryan "budgets" were presented as serious budgetary plans intended for enactment, as opposed to fiscal talking points with financial line items in them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Hey, look...the GOP is scheduling a vote next week to repeal Obamacare.

QuoteHouse Majority Leader Eric I. Cantor (R-Va.), who sets the House schedule, announced on Twitter on Wednesday that the vote will occur next week: "It just keeps getting worse. I am scheduling a vote for next week on the full repeal of #Obamacare."

For the 38th time.  Because that's not a waste of time or anything.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 01:28:33 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 10, 2013, 01:18:47 PM
The Republicans are NOT governing in good faith. They would rather see their nation harmed than see Obama get anything accomplished. This is like those on the left who were pretty much rooting for the US to fail in Iraq rather than see Bush be right about the entire mess, except that the Republicans as a whole are doing it about everything.

Neither are the Dems.  Their entire agenda is geared toward taking the House next year so they can do whatever they please in Obama's last two years.  Make up for missed opportunities during the first two years & whatnot.

There is nothing wrong with trying to win the political game - but I have seen nothing that suggests they are intentionally trying to keep from governing as a political ploy.

Your "objection" sounds like a very weak attempt to respond to legitimate criticism with "They do it too!"...even if they aren't doing it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2013, 11:50:54 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 10, 2013, 11:48:35 AM
What would be a compromise in this case then?

@Meri. I love that idea, so much I've been saying it for years!
Same here. It's the best compromise there is, as both groups get what they want, and people can shut up about the whole thing.
It suffers from a fundamental problem though.  The goal of group A is to persecute group B so that they act like normal people rather than Martinusian freaks.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

I'm wondering if I should ring up Marti and have him bring a jihad on Meri for the cavalier way in which she is addressing Der as a nancy. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on May 10, 2013, 04:20:22 PM
I'm wondering if I should ring up Marti and have him bring a jihad on Meri for the cavalier way in which she is addressing Der as a nancy. :hmm:

:D

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 10, 2013, 04:20:22 PM

The other funny thing about that is that one of our accounting gals is out this week and I'm covering most of her duties.  Her name is Nancy.  So I've been telling everyone I'm Nancy for this week :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on May 10, 2013, 07:39:05 AM
I like Rubio and Christie a lot. I thought Christie was maybe a bit too New Jersey for a Presidential race, but I'm not so sure after seeing him during Sandy.
The accent, the love for Springsteen :lol:

He always seems to me very blunt and direct, which I like, but sometimes borders on rude and a little bit aggressive. That to me seems very New Jersey, I was never sure if it would be able to play outside of his area. But, as I say, Sandy convinced me he's a real national leader.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 11, 2013, 07:31:01 PM
He always seems to me very blunt and direct, which I like, but sometimes borders on rude and a little bit aggressive. That to me seems very New Jersey, I was never sure if it would be able to play outside of his area. But, as I say, Sandy convinced me he's a real national leader.

A Sandy comes once in a blue moon;  the rest of the time he's calling people jerks.  It was a little refreshing in the beginning, but after a while even New Jersians think it gets old.

Tonitrus

And he could be our biggest President since Taft.  :)

CountDeMoney

No way, man.  He just got his stomach stapled.  He's going to be all JFK skinny by 2016.