2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 01:07:00 PM

How are gays giving up the term "marriage"?  They could still get 'married' in some churches.  I don't see gays giving up much of anything in the deal.

Though again, personally I think this libertarian approach has some merit.

They're giving up the legal term of "marriage". What happens between them and their churches is just that, between them. But they will never have been married in the eyes of the law. That's a really big deal for many, whether you think so or not.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on May 10, 2013, 01:18:47 PM
The Republicans are NOT governing in good faith. They would rather see their nation harmed than see Obama get anything accomplished. This is like those on the left who were pretty much rooting for the US to fail in Iraq rather than see Bush be right about the entire mess, except that the Republicans as a whole are doing it about everything.

I particularly liked the boycotting of yesterday's vote for the confirmation of a cabinet appointment.  That was really swell.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2013, 01:24:55 PM
But they will never have been married in the eyes of the law. That's a really big deal for many, whether you think so or not.

And neither will straight couples.  Wouldn't your deal take that away form everyone?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

The Republicans are NOT governing in good faith. They would rather see their nation harmed than see Obama get anything accomplished. This is like those on the left who were pretty much rooting for the US to fail in Iraq rather than see Bush be right about the entire mess, except that the Republicans as a whole are doing it about everything.

Neither are the Dems.  Their entire agenda is geared toward taking the House next year so they can do whatever they please in Obama's last two years.  Make up for missed opportunities during the first two years & whatnot.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 01:26:44 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2013, 01:24:55 PM
But they will never have been married in the eyes of the law. That's a really big deal for many, whether you think so or not.

And neither will straight couples.  Wouldn't your deal take that away form everyone?

Yes, it would. That's part of the compromise.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 01:28:33 PM

Neither are the Dems.  Their entire agenda is geared toward taking the House next year so they can do whatever they please in Obama's last two years.  Make up for missed opportunities during the first two years & whatnot.

What, specifically, is "geared toward taking the House next year"?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on May 10, 2013, 01:20:32 PM
Bullshit. Those should never have gotten to the point they did, and they got to that point because the Republicans categorically refused to even abide by the deals they made themselves.

The fact that they didn't actually allow the baby to drown after holding its head under water until it was nearly dead doesn't make it ok.

So your position is that the GOP was unreasonable and Obama should not have compromised with them.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2013, 01:36:03 PM

So your position is that the GOP was unreasonable and Obama should not have compromised with them.

There is another possibility.  The GOP was unreasonable but Obama was still right to compromise because someone in DC has to act like an adult.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 10, 2013, 01:39:01 PM
There is another possibility.  The GOP was unreasonable but Obama was still right to compromise because someone in DC has to act like an adult.

And to get back to Throbby's original point, a compromise is only a compromise if the starting point of the negotiation is one you agree with.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 01:28:33 PMNeither are the Dems.  Their entire agenda is geared toward taking the House next year so they can do whatever they please in Obama's last two years.  Make up for missed opportunities during the first two years & whatnot.

The Democrat Hidden Agenda Finally Revealed: Have Functioning Government that Governs!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2013, 01:42:51 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 10, 2013, 01:39:01 PM

And to get back to Throbby's original point, a compromise is only a compromise if the starting point of the negotiation is one you agree with.

Seems to me the overriding starting point for the GOP the last several years is the eventual eradication of the federal government.  Hell of a starting point.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 10, 2013, 01:45:20 PM
Seems to me the overriding starting point for the GOP the last several years is the eventual eradication of the federal government.  Hell of a starting point.

I suppose all the Paul Ryan budgets that called for $0 total federal spending tipped you off?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2013, 01:48:01 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 10, 2013, 01:45:20 PM

I suppose all the Paul Ryan budgets that called for $0 total federal spending tipped you off?

When your budget proposal is so fruity that it gets nuns on your ass, you've got issues.  NUNS, MAN.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 10, 2013, 01:49:56 PM
When your budget proposal is so fruity that it gets nuns on your ass, you've got issues.  NUNS, MAN.

Nuns are all Trots, you know that.

But we were talking about Dr. Evil's plan to eradicate the federal government.

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on May 10, 2013, 01:44:04 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 01:28:33 PMNeither are the Dems.  Their entire agenda is geared toward taking the House next year so they can do whatever they please in Obama's last two years.  Make up for missed opportunities during the first two years & whatnot.

The Democrat Hidden Agenda Finally Revealed: Have Functioning Government that Governs!

Yes, it is all part of their evil plan to make government work to justify needlessly expanding government and stealing the salaries of hard working americans to give that money to welfare queens.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.