First 3-D-printed gun fired, but its digital blueprints make bigger bang

Started by jimmy olsen, May 06, 2013, 07:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2013, 03:49:24 PM
But if you're stuck with a single shot .380 pistol and have the ability to get that close there are (non-firearm) weapons that would probably be more effective. 

Which again raises the question of why someone would go through all the trouble to do this.
Other than to be an asshole, of course.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 08, 2013, 05:17:41 PM
But if you're stuck with a single shot .380 pistol and have the ability to get that close there are (non-firearm) weapons that would probably be more effective. 

Which again raises the question of why someone would go through all the trouble to do this.

Somebody, somewhere, is gonna be that asshole, though.  Might as be the one who yells "FIRST" if you're so inclined.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on May 08, 2013, 03:58:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 08, 2013, 03:39:46 PM
Okay, if I shot a person with a .380 at point blank range what would it likely do that person?  Say I shot them in the Chest or head.  Would they be wounded?  Would they laugh it off.  Would they die without medical attention?

Depends on a lot of variables, but yet it could kill them.  But if you're stuck with a single shot .380 pistol and have the ability to get that close there are (non-firearm) weapons that would probably be more effective.  Getting kinda tired of having to repeat that.

How many of them are made of plastic?

Dunno.  I've been told that there is some awesome plastic that's just as good as steel.  But do they have to be plastic?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2013, 06:24:45 PM

Somebody, somewhere, is gonna be that asshole, though.  Might as be the one who yells "FIRST" if you're so inclined.

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on May 08, 2013, 03:39:46 PM
Okay, if I shot a person with a .380 at point blank range what would it likely do that person?  Say I shot them in the Chest or head.  Would they be wounded?  Would they laugh it off.  Would they die without medical attention?

Depends on a lot of variables, but yet it could kill them.  But if you're stuck with a single shot .380 pistol and have the ability to get that close there are (non-firearm) weapons that would probably be more effective.  Getting kinda tired of having to repeat that.

You keep trying to minimize the danger of .380 pistol.  What would you say are the chances of being shot in the head or chest with such a weapon and you being able to laugh it off?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

The guy describes himself as an anarchist.  I wonder what a person like that would use such a weapon for. :hmm:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2013, 03:03:31 AM
You keep trying to minimize the danger of .380 pistol.  What would you say are the chances of being shot in the head or chest with such a weapon and you being able to laugh it off?

I don't know.  I probably wouldn't laugh off being stabbed repeatedly with a ceramic knife, either :mellow:

Malthus

This line of argument just isn't convincing.

There is a reason why people have been making small, easily concealed firearms since there have BEEN firearms, despite the fact that such weapons are pretty well by definition fairly low-powered and inaccurate - and that reason is that it is a lot easier to kill someone with even a tiny gun, then to hack them to death with an equally-concealable knife.

No-one thinks that a plastic pistol is going to replace an assault rifle in deadliness any time soon; its natural forebearers are things like derringers - guns made specifically to be inconspicuous and so concealable. Only in this case, it is concealable because of what it is made of, rather than because of its size. It's the natural tool of the assassin, the terrorist and the criminal.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Oh yeah, well *you* failed to convince me.  How ya like them apples?  :D

I'm just getting the vibe from you guys that a 3-D printed gun is worthy of panic simply due to your overblown fear of guns in general.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 08:55:39 AM
Oh yeah, well *you* failed to convince me.  How ya like them apples?  :D

I'm just getting the vibe from you guys that a 3-D printed gun is worthy of panic simply due to your overblown fear of guns in general.

Saying that the thing is the equivalent of a derringer is "panic"?

Oookay.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2013, 08:59:12 AM

Pretty much.  Guns are scary & all.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 09:03:31 AM

You are barking up the wrong tree. I've been shooting guns recreationally since I was 12. Mind you, that amounts to plinking tin cans with a .22 every coupla years, but still, the notion I'm some kind of gun-hater is just silly.

sbr

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2013, 09:06:43 AM
You are barking up the wrong tree. I've been shooting guns recreationally since I was 12. Mind you, that amounts to plinking tin cans with a .22 every coupla years, but still, the notion I'm some kind of gun-hater is just silly.

I knew you'd mention your .22 :D

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2013, 09:06:43 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 09:03:31 AM

It's the standard gun nut response to ANY concern over guns of any kind.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned