First 3-D-printed gun fired, but its digital blueprints make bigger bang

Started by jimmy olsen, May 06, 2013, 07:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2013, 12:38:49 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 07, 2013, 12:10:05 PM
Require a background check to own 3d printers then.  :lmfao:

How exactly is that funny?  They will probably be very tighly controlled indeed.

Naturally
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: 11B4V on May 07, 2013, 07:06:50 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2013, 12:38:49 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 07, 2013, 12:10:05 PM
Require a background check to own 3d printers then.  :lmfao:

How exactly is that funny?  They will probably be very tighly controlled indeed.

Naturally

Some dude will release 3D printer plans for 3D printers.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

11B4V

Quote from: ulmont on May 07, 2013, 01:28:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2013, 12:54:33 PM
The cartridge case, chamber, and barrel all take on pressure. Anyway, I'd like to know what kind of .380 ammo the dude used in his gun.  It's a fairly weak cartridge to begin with, but I'd bet he downloaded the powder charge.

The article claims not:  "[t]he Liberator fired a standard .380 handgun round without visible damage."
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/05/05/meet-the-liberator-test-firing-the-worlds-first-fully-3d-printed-gun/

By contrast, a rifle round apparently blew it up:

QuoteThe printed gun seems limited, for now, to certain calibers of ammunition. After the handgun round, Wilson switched out the Liberator's barrel for a higher-charge 5.7×28 rifle cartridge. He and John retreated to a safe distance, and John pulled his yellow string again. This time the gun exploded, sending shards of white ABS plastic flying into the weeds and bringing the Liberator's first field trial to an abrupt end.

QuoteWilson showed me a video of an ABS plastic barrel the group printed attached to a non-printed gun body firing ten rounds of .380 ammunition before breaking on the eleventh.

A .380 cartridge is loaded to an av pressure of 21,500 psi

A FN 5.7x28 is loaded to 50k psi
Well da it's going to blow it up. :rolleyes:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2013, 04:13:09 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 07, 2013, 03:46:09 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on May 07, 2013, 02:16:24 PM
And then there's another angle: what about those countries where guns are rare?

In fact the guy himself said today that the country from where he's getting more downloads by far is Spain. The next anti eviction protest can get messy...

Lovely, yet another gift of American gun culture to the world

We aim to please

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2013, 07:41:47 PM
Edit posts more, 11BIde.  :P

Yea, but I edit them down 90% of the time. Also to correct spelling.  :D

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2013, 04:31:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2013, 03:58:48 PM
You are talking like these are BBs.  They aren't.  A high grade plastic bullet would likely go through a person as well as as a steel one.

No it wouldn't.  There is no plastic that will penetrate as well as steel. Also, keep in mind we're talking severely limited velocities here, at least with this dude's current design/materials.  He's using a .380 round which isn't the best self-defense round to begin with.  Replace the projectile with a "high grade" plastic one, and you're going to get even less lethality (bound to be lighter, meaning less kinetic energy) than the lead/copper bullet. 

And that's not to even mention the lack of accuracy, coming out of a short plastic smoothbore barrel.  You'd probably need to be within a couple yards to even score a hit, and if you're that close anyway you might as well use a knife or something that you can attack with repeatedly.

Maybe someday there will be a proof of concept for an all-plastic weapon that can rapidly fire multiple accurate shots with predictable lethality, but we're not there yet.

But if you guys want to panic, go ahead.

QuoteI mean, they have a pretty good tensile strength.  They don't deform as well, but would still cut through someone.  Or if you don't like plastic, why not ceramics?

I think ceramic would be more effective than plastic.  You still have the accuracy and single shot issues to deal with.

You only need one shot to kill a person.  What was the type of bullet that used in the Reagan assassination attempt?  It crippled one man, and almost killed the President.  Was it a more powerful or less powerful round then a .38?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2013, 09:08:49 PM
You only need one shot to kill a person.

While technically true, that's an overly simplistic way of looking at it.

QuoteWhat was the type of bullet that used in the Reagan assassination attempt?  It crippled one man, and almost killed the President.  Was it a more powerful or less powerful round then a .38?

Than a .380.  .380 ACP is a lot punier than .38 Special (which itself is considered relatively weak compared to other calibers)

Anyway, the weapon used in the Reagan assassination attempt was a .22 revolver.  And with conventional ammo, .22 is weaker than .380.  But Hinckley used these weird bullets that were designed to explode on impact, so that muddies the waters a little bit.  Only one round actually did explode-- the one that hit Brady.  All six shots actually missed Reagan, though the last one freakishly ricocheted and then hit him in the side after he was in the limo.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Maybe someday there will be a proof of concept for an all-plastic weapon that can rapidly fire multiple accurate shots with predictable lethality, but we're not there yet.

Well a Derringer cannot do any of those things either but it was perfectly sufficient for assassinating the President of the United States.

Besides until we have 3-D printers as common household accessories this is not a serious point of concerned and that gives whomever is working on this project plenty of time to improve their plastic gun design.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Speaking of guns that killed Presidents this reminds me of one of my favorite cutsey gun ads:

Awwwwww :wub:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2013, 02:41:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2013, 09:08:49 PM
You only need one shot to kill a person.

While technically true, that's an overly simplistic way of looking at it.

QuoteWhat was the type of bullet that used in the Reagan assassination attempt?  It crippled one man, and almost killed the President.  Was it a more powerful or less powerful round then a .38?

Than a .380.  .380 ACP is a lot punier than .38 Special (which itself is considered relatively weak compared to other calibers)

Anyway, the weapon used in the Reagan assassination attempt was a .22 revolver.  And with conventional ammo, .22 is weaker than .380.  But Hinckley used these weird bullets that were designed to explode on impact, so that muddies the waters a little bit.  Only one round actually did explode-- the one that hit Brady.  All six shots actually missed Reagan, though the last one freakishly ricocheted and then hit him in the side after he was in the limo.

Okay, if I shot a person with a .380 at point blank range what would it likely do that person?  Say I shot them in the Chest or head.  Would they be wounded?  Would they laugh it off.  Would they die without medical attention?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2013, 02:53:29 PM

Well a Derringer cannot do any of those things either but it was perfectly sufficient for assassinating the President of the United States.

Besides until we have 3-D printers as common household accessories this is not a serious point of concerned and that gives whomever is working on this project plenty of time to improve their plastic gun design.

Anti-gun nut! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 08, 2013, 03:39:46 PM
Okay, if I shot a person with a .380 at point blank range what would it likely do that person?  Say I shot them in the Chest or head.  Would they be wounded?  Would they laugh it off.  Would they die without medical attention?

Depends on a lot of variables, but yet it could kill them.  But if you're stuck with a single shot .380 pistol and have the ability to get that close there are (non-firearm) weapons that would probably be more effective.  Getting kinda tired of having to repeat that.

sbr

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2013, 03:49:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 08, 2013, 03:39:46 PM

Depends on a lot of variables, but yet it could kill them.  But if you're stuck with a single shot .380 pistol and have the ability to get that close there are (non-firearm) weapons that would probably be more effective.  Getting kinda tired of having to repeat that.

How many of them are made of plastic?