First 3-D-printed gun fired, but its digital blueprints make bigger bang

Started by jimmy olsen, May 06, 2013, 07:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Brazen

The Department of State's Office of Defence Trade Controls Compliance, but close enough :console:

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on May 09, 2013, 03:58:39 PM
That's from a 3" barrel. Smooth or rifled is really irrelevant at PB range. Besides, all things being equal, a smoothbore would be faster in terms of velocity. Less accurate, however.

The barrels don't look even 3" to me (assuming the chamber is integrated into the barrel).  And you're assuming there is a tight fit between the bullet and smoothbore barrel-- I would wager that there is some space there to prevent excessive pressure.  Finally, with the the barrel being plastic there's bound to be some "give" or slight expansion that you wouldn't have with a hardened steel barrel.  That's going to let some gases leak out.

Fucker should have been considerate enough to at least put it through a chrony so we'd see the velocity to confirm :angry:

FWIW, this dude kinda backs up what I said about the gun being dangerous to the user.  Yeah, in the demonstration it didn't explode and he says in the other shots it didn't, but it's not something I would want to take a chance on: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/may/09/3d-printed-guns-user
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

QuoteFWIW, this dude kinda backs up what I said about the gun being dangerous to the user.

This be a true statement.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 09:59:40 AM
The barrels don't look even 3" to me (assuming the chamber is integrated into the barrel).  And you're assuming there is a tight fit between the bullet and smoothbore barrel-- I would wager that there is some space there to prevent excessive pressure.  Finally, with the the barrel being plastic there's bound to be some "give" or slight expansion that you wouldn't have with a hardened steel barrel.  That's going to let some gases leak out.

Fucker should have been considerate enough to at least put it through a chrony so we'd see the velocity to confirm :angry:

FWIW, this dude kinda backs up what I said about the gun being dangerous to the user.  Yeah, in the demonstration it didn't explode and he says in the other shots it didn't, but it's not something I would want to take a chance on: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/may/09/3d-printed-guns-user

Me either, given that ABS' tensile strength is only in the ballpark of 4,300 psi.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 10, 2013, 10:04:27 AM
QuoteFWIW, this dude kinda backs up what I said about the gun being dangerous to the user.

This be a true statement.

No shit.  Look at Caliga.

DontSayBanana

Basically, knowing the tensile strength of ABS, what likely happened was that the chamber and barrel were cracked by the first shot and exacerbated by the subsequent shots until failure.  Still, knowing that cartridges can be loaded for rimfire pressures up to 40,000 psi, I wouldn't want to take the chance that the gun won't blow up- especially given the 3d printing process is granular in nature, so even designing this as a throwaway weapon is problematic, since you can't necessarily plot where the stress points in the chamber and barrel are and how they'll deform.
Experience bij!