News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

This World.

Started by mongers, May 05, 2013, 07:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Do you have any stories that you think illustrate some aspect of the 'modern world' we live in ?

Part of a Sikh family, mother, her two sons and uncle are out in Manchester, the boys father was killed by the Taliban in Afghanistan a 11 years earlier, so they fled to Britain, I presume to join up with part of their extended family.

So it's about 10.30 pm and they're on the way home from the temple, when their car is hit by a speeding car, it kills the mother, the uncle and critically injures the younger brother.

The refugee 16 year old boy is now the head of the family, care of the Taliban and a young rising premiership football star, our world.

Story comes from a programme about speeding and inappropriate driving amongst the young, worth watching if you can:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s50lw/Licence_to_Kill/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai

Why did you hit them you ass.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on May 05, 2013, 07:45:09 PM
Do you have any stories that you think illustrate some aspect of the 'modern world' we live in ?

I dont get it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

sbr

Why were you driving, I thought you only rode a bike.

mongers

Quote from: katmai on May 05, 2013, 07:47:00 PM
Why did you hit them you ass.

Languish at it's best/worst, go for the typo rather than the story/comment.    :hmm:

garbon

Alongside Timmay, I'm more interested in stories that illustrate some aspect of life outside of this world we live in.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I don't live in this world.  I live in a carefully constructed separate reality where people don't avert their eyes when I walk into the room.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

sbr

First the fourth line in the OP is a mess, it confused me more than helped me.

Second the typo was the most interesting part of the OP.

Third I have no idea what this is suppose to say about our 'modern world'.  Could refugees not be killed by idiot soccer players in the 1970's?  I am sure Britain had plenty of both back then too.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on May 05, 2013, 07:45:09 PM

Throg build fire. Throg put fire on stick. Throg use stick chase off bear.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

This World is filled with too many weirdo mongers threads.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 05, 2013, 09:31:50 PM

You want wall to wall Timmay instead ?   :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on May 05, 2013, 09:41:46 PM

What are you trying to get to with this thread, though?  The absurdity of life?

REWRITE RESUBMIT

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on May 05, 2013, 09:24:24 PM
Could refugees not be killed by idiot soccer players in the 1970's?  I am sure Britain had plenty of both back then too.

Some things never change.

QuoteA soccer referee who was allegedly punched in the face by a teenage player and slipped into a coma has died.

Ricardo Portillo, 46, had been in critical condition since the April 27 incident and passed away Saturday night, according to the Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake in Utah.

Authorities will consider additional charges against the 17-year-old suspect this week since the referee died, police said in a statement.

Lt. Justin Hoyle with the Salt Lake Unified Police Department said that Portillo was a refereeing a game at Eisenhower Junior High, in Taylorsville, Utah, last weekend when he flagged the teen for a foul.

"He made a call against a player that he was unhappy with, and gave him a yellow card, so the 17-year-old turned and punched him in face," Hoyle told ABCNews.com.

Portillo was transported to the hospital with what were at first believed to be minor injuries, but the referee soon went into a coma, Hoyle said.

The suspect was arrested Monday and brought to Salt Lake Valley Detention Center, where he has remained in custody, according to police. His name has not been released because he is a minor.

Portillo's daughter Johana told reporters earlier this week that she is heartbroken over the attack on her dad. She said this is not the first time he has been attacked on the soccer field.

"Last Saturday when we got called we thought it wasn't that serious, we thought, 'OK, they're going to call and we'll have to go get him out again and he's going to be OK,' but it wasn't like that," she said. "This person caused us a lot of pain."

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 05, 2013, 09:53:54 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 05, 2013, 09:41:46 PM

What are you trying to get to with this thread, though?  The absurdity of life?

No.

Two different forms of terrorism ?