Any of you mooks ever hire a live-in nanny?

Started by Barrister, May 03, 2013, 02:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on May 03, 2013, 06:43:30 PM
whats the amount f time someone has to live in America on a visa before they can apply to citizenship

Not sure.  I don't think we have any category of temporary visa that automatically turns into a green card after X years.  I could be wrong.

CountDeMoney

All I got out of the last 4 pages was BB suddenly digging Brazilian Nannies Trannies.  WTF, man.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2013, 06:52:04 PM
whats the amount f time someone has to live in America on a visa before they can apply to citizenship

Not sure.  I don't think we have any category of temporary visa that automatically turns into a green card after X years.  I could be wrong.

We do not, so far as I'm aware. An employer can petition the state on behalf of an employee, a family member can petition the state on behalf of a spouse/parent/child, or a person can petition the state on behalf of themselves for asylum. But all of those have specific reasons given, and aren't based on a timeframe.

Employer - employee is best for them for that job (usually only works for high tech-type jobs)
Family - I can support my family member here, and I am a permanent alien/citizen
Self - If I go back, they will kill me/torture me/arrest me

At least, when we looked into it, that was how it worked.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2013, 07:42:16 PM
All I got out of the last 4 pages was BB suddenly digging Brazilian Nannies.  WTF, man.

He fell for those confederates down there.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 03, 2013, 08:28:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2013, 07:42:16 PM
All I got out of the last 4 pages was BB suddenly digging Brazilian Nannies Trannies.  WTF, man.

He fell for those confederates down there.

Edited for clarity and statement of fact.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on May 03, 2013, 06:15:03 PM
Is it weird that now that the nanny is a "tyranny" people are actually asking for pics? :lol:

Fight the power!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2013, 06:52:04 PM

Nothing automatic about it - but you can apply, and if the paperwork is in order, be given permanent residence.

And for the permanent residence <> citizenship - that's true, but once you're in Canada a set amount of time, once you complete all the paperwork you can become a citizen.

Canada accepts far more immigrants per capita than the US.  Quick google suggests that Canada accepts around 250,000 immigrants per year, while the US, with 10x the population, accepts ~1.3 million per year (legal immigrants that is).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2013, 10:19:40 PM
And for the permanent residence <> citizenship - that's true, but once you're in Canada a set amount of time, once you complete all the paperwork you can become a citizen.

And don't think I haven't thought about it.  Mainly for the weather.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2013, 10:25:28 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2013, 10:19:40 PM

And don't think I haven't thought about it.  Mainly for the weather.

Well if you want to, here's your chance.  All you have to do is look after 3 little kids for 2 years in return for minimum wage. :)

CountDeMoney

Barrister

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2013, 10:46:45 PM
Well if you want to, here's your chance.  All you have to do is look after 3 little kids for 2 years in return for minimum wage. :)

:unsure:

merithyn

CountDeMoney

Yeah, but he probably won't let me hit them.