Any of you mooks ever hire a live-in nanny?

Started by Barrister, May 03, 2013, 02:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

How'd you find it, would you do it again?

By this fall the wife and I will have 3 kids under the age of 5.  My wife would like to get back to work at some point.  Looking at the numbers, with 3 kids a nanny is the more affordable option than daycare for three kids.  But, not by an overwhelming amount.

Wife and I had mentioned it in passing before, but hadn't really looked into it.  Then I was talking with my brother (whose wedding in Brazil we were at a month ago) said that his wife's cousin had talked to him about maybe coming to Canada.

Now we met this cousin at the wedding.  Her English was certainly passable, and what made me remember her is she spent a fair bit of time playing with Timmy.  And Timmy apparently liked her because he remembered her name (if he doesn't like you, or your not worth his time, you're just a "people").

But... the idea of a near-stranger living in your house all the time?  Not sure how much I like that.  Plus the lose of space.  We have a decent sized house, but it's not huge.

Anyways, just thought I would ask for anyone's experience.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Nope.  Malthus did though, that ugly Ukrainian lady right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Didn't Ed have an Au Pair at some  point?

crazy canuck

When my kids were young we didnt have the space for a live in nanny.  But we did have a nanny who went home to her own family at night and that worked out very well.  Even if we did have the space I dont think I would have liked to have a nanny who was with us all the time.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2013, 02:06:51 PM
When my kids were young we didnt have the space for a live in nanny.  But we did have a nanny who went home to her own family at night and that worked out very well.  Even if we did have the space I dont think I would have liked to have a nanny who was with us all the time.

Part of what makes it affordable is that you get to deduct room and board from the (already minimum) wage.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2013, 02:09:33 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2013, 02:06:51 PM

Part of what makes it affordable is that you get to deduct room and board from the (already minimum) wage.

I dont think I could do that.  Part of what made the relationship with our Nannies (we had two over the years) so good was that they were happy to be part of our children's lives.  Part of the reason they were happy is because we treated them well, including the pay they recieved.

I think this is an area where you definitely get what you pay for and reap what you sow.

Malthus

Yup, I've done it.

The nanny stayed in the room you stayed in when you visited.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Mind you, she was family - an aunt by marriage of my wife. We paid her well by nanny standards - she was happy with that.

She was great. She did everything that needed doing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 03, 2013, 02:15:08 PM
We paid her well by nanny standards - she was happy with that.

That is the key I think.

Valmy

Ah crap sorry about calling her ugly then  :P

I just remembered it because Ed asked you if you were boning the nanny and you provided a picture  as a response  :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2013, 02:17:01 PM
We paid her well by nanny standards - she was happy with that.

That is the key I think.

Heh, it's a combination - being family did not hurt, but of course that's a two-way street ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2013, 02:17:08 PM
Ah crap sorry about calling her ugly then  :P

I just remembered it because Ed asked you if you were boning the nanny and you provided a picture  as a response  :lol:

She's a sturdy, dignified and dependable lady in her 50s ... but not one I think to tempt a man from his marriage vows.  ;)

Barrister

Yup, I've done it.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Mind you, she was family - an aunt by marriage of my wife. We paid her well by nanny standards - she was happy with that.

I got the impression you didn't use that room very much otherwise?

I'm also disappointed in Languish.  Nobody asked if he would-be nanny was hott. :(

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2013, 02:21:29 PM
Yup, I've done it.

I got the impression you didn't use that room very much otherwise?

Sadly, it is now filled with junk - mostly toys Carl has outgrown. This spring, my job is to do something about that!  :ph34r:

I'm also disappointed in Languish.  Nobody asked if he would-be nanny was hott. :(

D'oh.  :lol:

Phillip V

I plan to have an old female relative live with my family (assuming my parents live elsewhere). Besides getting paid/housed, she will also be loved. :hug:

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 03, 2013, 02:24:41 PM
Sadly, it is now filled with junk - mostly toys Carl has outgrown. This spring, my job is to do something about that!  :ph34r:

Well its May already...times a wasting!