Started by Martinus, May 01, 2013, 03:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on May 01, 2013, 08:52:41 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 01, 2013, 08:51:32 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 01, 2013, 08:48:11 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 01, 2013, 08:43:11 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 01, 2013, 08:40:49 PM
The Catholic Church certainly does its part, no one else would hire thousands of active pedophiles and give them the dignity of work.
boyscouts :contract:

Yeah OK, if you think that's dignity. Do boy scout leaders even wear dresses?
does in private count?

No. It does not.

Niether does wearing one in a pasture.

The Brain

I met a bird the other day. Ever hear the expression sore like an eagle?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 08:53:30 PM
Good effort, Shiv.  But you're not going to sway these protestant Free Marketeer Republicans.

This is the part of the discussion when Captain Occupy starts throwing random slogans together.

CountDeMoney

Nonsense.  His Holiness has spoken for me.

Now if I can only get him to accept my LinkedIn invite.

MadImmortalMan

There's a MD demonstration choking up downtown today. Funny, I don't remember ever seeing that when I was growing up.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 01, 2013, 09:32:34 PM
There's a MD demonstration choking up downtown today. Funny, I don't remember ever seeing that when I was growing up.

The physicians are rioting?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2013, 08:35:49 PM
He is in fact saying that any unemployment at all is an injustice.

"This is a burden on our conscience, because when society is organized in such a way that not everyone has the opportunity to work, to be anointed with the dignity of work, then there is something wrong with that society," he said.

I don't see whats wrong with that.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on May 01, 2013, 09:51:15 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 01, 2013, 09:32:34 PM

The physicians are rioting?

Don't be silly.  It's those damned Muscular Dystrophy people in their hoverchairs again.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on May 01, 2013, 09:51:53 PM

Is it a burden on your conscience that you haven't given an unemployed person the dignity of a job?  Do you think it's a burden on the conscience of the Pope that the Vatican hasn't given more unemployed people the dignity of a job?  Of course not.  You and he both know it's not your obligation.  It's the obligation of the bloodsucker, the capitalists, the Jewish financiers.

In other words, one of the benefits of deferring consumption and investing money in a profit-making firm, of expending entrepeneurial energy and time to start a business from scratch, is the moral obligation to hire more people than you already have.  But if you're not providing a livelihood to anyone, you're off the hook.

It's either class warfare or it's hypocrisy, take your pick.

MadImmortalMan

I just took it to mean that there is a responsibility to not hold people back and put artificial barriers in their way.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Good effort, Shiv.  But you're not going to sway these protestant Free Marketeer Republicans.

Is Yi even Christian?  I thought he worshiped Moloch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2013, 10:05:34 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 01, 2013, 09:51:53 PM

Is it a burden on your conscience that you haven't given an unemployed person the dignity of a job?  Do you think it's a burden on the conscience of the Pope that the Vatican hasn't given more unemployed people the dignity of a job?  Of course not.  You and he both know it's not your obligation.  It's the obligation of the bloodsucker, the capitalists, the Jewish financiers.

In other words, one of the benefits of deferring consumption and investing money in a profit-making firm, of expending entrepeneurial energy and time to start a business from scratch, is the moral obligation to hire more people than you already have.  But if you're not providing a livelihood to anyone, you're off the hook.

It's either class warfare or it's hypocrisy, take your pick.
Of course it is.
Its a burden on your conscience that you live so well and have so much money when you could easily give some of it to those poorer than you. That's not to say the gods expect you give all your money away, that would be stupid, but you should certainly make what effort you can to help those who are needy.
The pope is saying the same kind of thing. It sucks that there are so many unemployed in the world, obviously this problem can't be totally fixed overnight, you're not expected to go out and hire every unemployed person you can even if it bankrupts you, that's pretty obvious and goes without saying.  But people in a position to do something should try to do what they can.
I think its a pretty good message, give a man a fish/teach a man to fish, sort of stuff.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on May 01, 2013, 10:22:39 PM

Is Yi even Christian?  I thought he worshiped Moloch.

Is that the name of the bronze bull idol out on Wall Street?  Then yeah.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on May 01, 2013, 10:29:41 PM
Of course it is.
Its a burden on your conscience that you live so well and have so much money when you could easily give some of it to those poorer than you. That's not to say the gods expect you give all your money away, that would be stupid, but you should certainly make what effort you can to help those who are needy.
The pope is saying the same kind of thing. It sucks that there are so many unemployed in the world, obviously this problem can't be totally fixed overnight, you're not expected to go out and hire every unemployed person you can even if it bankrupts you, that's pretty obvious and goes without saying.  But people in a position to do something should try to do what they can.

Is the Vatican not a wealthy institution?

Are there not many owners of shares and bonds who are not wealthy?

Are there not even more non-wealthy people who rely on pension funds? 

Is Marty, a wealthy person by most standards and definitely a wealthy person by Polish standards, morally obligated to give some people a job?

Are you, a wealthy person by 3rd world standards, morally obligated to give some people a job?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2013, 03:25:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 03:22:42 PM
He is just going back to the Church's roots which was to minister to the poor.  Historically that meant much more than simply preaching to them...

Sure, in this case it means telling others what their obligations are.  So if the Pope talks the talk he should walk the walk.

A religious leader telling people what their obligations are? I'm sure that must come as a big shock to you.