Pope condemns sweatshops and unemployment in May Day message

Started by Martinus, May 01, 2013, 03:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

He is in fact saying that any unemployment at all is an injustice.

"This is a burden on our conscience, because when society is organized in such a way that not everyone has the opportunity to work, to be anointed with the dignity of work, then there is something wrong with that society," he said.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2013, 08:35:49 PM
He is in fact saying that any unemployment at all is an injustice.

"This is a burden on our conscience, because when society is organized in such a way that not everyone has the opportunity to work, to be anointed with the dignity of work, then there is something wrong with that society," he said.

No, everyone being given an opportunity to succeed is just a restatement of the American Dream n'est pas?

The Brain

The Catholic Church certainly does its part, no one else would hire thousands of active pedophiles and give them the dignity of work.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on May 01, 2013, 08:40:49 PM
The Catholic Church certainly does its part, no one else would hire thousands of active pedophiles and give them the dignity of work.
boyscouts :contract:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

What, do you and Marty work 12-on, 12-off shifts or something?

derspiess

I'm sorta with Yi on this, but it's not like this is the first time a figure from some church made unreasonable and/or contradictory exhortations on society.  And I still like this Pope, as far as Catholics go.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on May 01, 2013, 08:43:11 PM

Yeah OK, if you think that's dignity. Do boy scout leaders even wear dresses?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 08:47:29 PM
I'm sorta with Yi on this, but it's not like this is the first time a figure from some church made unreasonable and/or contradictory exhortations on society.  And I still like this Pope, as far as Catholics go.

How is it unreasonable and/or contradictory?

Sheilbh

Not quite. I think 'opportunity to work' is relevant.

But of course that's what he's saying. Catholic social teaching is explicit that an ordered society would have full employment, ours is a disordered society and in such a way that is wrong. Unemployment undermines a just society. More importantly, from a Catholic perspective, man is 'called to work'. It's a reminder that we are made in the image of God - through work we create and work is more than simply sustaining life (which is bestial). So unemployment is a sign of a society gone wrong but also assaults the dignity and spirit of man.

So, from a Catholic view, if a society were ordered then the opportunity to work would be available to all. Some individuals, as in all cases, may reject their own purpose - which in part was what JPII called subjective work - but that wouldn't be an indication of society being wrong.

JPII again:
'In view of this situation we must first of all recall a principle that has always been taught by the Church: the principle of the priority of labour over capital. This principle directly concerns the process of production: in this process labour is always a primary efficient cause, while capital, the whole collection of means of production, remains a mere instrument or instrumental cause.
The role of the agents included under the title of indirect employer is to act against unemployment, which in all cases is an evil, and which, when it reaches a certain level, can become a real social disaster.'
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 08:44:31 PM

That's a lie.

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on May 01, 2013, 08:48:11 PM

does in private count?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 08:47:29 PMbut it's not like this is the first time a figure from some church made unreasonable and/or contradictory exhortations on society. 
Surely that's the job of the Church? Certainly of a man who has the title 'Vicar of Christ' :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on May 01, 2013, 08:50:59 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 08:44:31 PM

That's a lie.

Yep, you work overlapping shifts.

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on May 01, 2013, 08:51:32 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 01, 2013, 08:48:11 PM

does in private count?

No. It does not.

CountDeMoney

Good effort, Shiv.  But you're not going to sway these protestant Free Marketeer Republicans.