News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

English language books everyone should read

Started by Razgovory, April 29, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 30, 2013, 12:12:40 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 30, 2013, 12:07:19 PM
Ulysses

Does anyone actually get through that and understand it?

I did and do not ascribe to myself any preternatural powers, so I assume others must be capable of it as well.
and the horse you rode in on

merithyn

Ulysses

I did, but it was a long slog with a good bit of explanation in side notes as I went along. Gotta love the American education system. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maladict

Quote from: Razgovory on April 30, 2013, 10:49:19 AM

There are so few important ones, I didn't think it would be a major thing.  I certainly wouldn't be adding another thread devoted to translated works.  Besides, some people couldn't follow the simple rules I posted as is.  We already got plays and poems put in.

:lmfao:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on April 30, 2013, 01:22:43 PM

There are so few important ones, I didn't think it would be a major thing.  I certainly wouldn't be adding another thread devoted to translated works.  Besides, some people couldn't follow the simple rules I posted as is.  We already got plays and poems put in.

Don't you know all literature worth reading originated in the UK or the US?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2013, 01:25:44 PM

Absolutely, I'm not sure why they even bothered to translate non English works.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on April 30, 2013, 01:30:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2013, 01:25:44 PM

Absolutely, I'm not sure why they even bothered to translate non English works.

English speakers were curious about uncivilized heathens.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on April 30, 2013, 01:33:25 PM
Ulysses

I loved it. :hmm:

You are a better man than I.  I found it to be a dreadful slog.  I know I am supposed to say it is wonderful and all that.  But really, I cant bring myself to say it nor do I know why others say it is so.

Caliga

Besides, some people couldn't follow the simple rules I posted as is.  We already got plays and poems put in.
You're not the boss of me.

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 30, 2013, 01:34:54 PM
You are a better man than I.  I found it to be a dreadful slog.  I know I am supposed to say it is wonderful and all that.  But really, I cant bring myself to say it nor do I know why others say it is so.
I just thought it was neat how he wrote it.  FWIW as I recall he did that on purpose knowing it would get his book more attention, and it obviously worked.