And we're back!

Main Menu

English language books everyone should read

Started by Razgovory, April 29, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 30, 2013, 10:02:03 AM
Quote from: sbr on April 30, 2013, 09:21:29 AM
It's about shit people who speak English can read, not some statement on English literature.

That's not how most are interpreting it, else we'd be seeing War and Peace, Crime and Punishment, Les Miserables, Don Quixote, etc.

I agree the "translations" bit is confusing. If it was just works translated into English - then you could just get away with "Books Everyone Should Read"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Rasputin on April 30, 2013, 10:00:40 AM

Rand's Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead

:bleeding:

I tried. I seriously tried... but I couldn't do it. Both of those novels bored me to absolute tears.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2013, 10:04:27 AM
It's about shit people who speak English can read, not some statement on English literature.

That's not how most are interpreting it, else we'd be seeing War and Peace, Crime and Punishment, Les Miserables, Don Quixote, etc.

So what's the ruling from the OP?

I agree the "translations" bit is confusing. If it was just works translated into English - then you could just get away with "Books Everyone Should Read"
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PDH

The rules for SPI's Campaign for North Africa.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 30, 2013, 09:39:55 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 30, 2013, 09:26:11 AM
How about the King James Bible? It had quite a cultural impact.

Its a translation and so considerable debate as to whether it should be included.  Also a bad translation.

All versions of the Bible are translations.  The KJV in particular can reasonably claim to be a standalone work of English literature.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

There are so few important ones, I didn't think it would be a major thing.  I certainly wouldn't be adding another thread devoted to translated works.  Besides, some people couldn't follow the simple rules I posted as is.  We already got plays and poems put in.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on April 30, 2013, 10:49:19 AM

There are so few important ones, I didn't think it would be a major thing.  I certainly wouldn't be adding another thread devoted to translated works.  Besides, some people couldn't follow the simple rules I posted as is.  We already got plays and poems put in.

:huh:

There are tons of famous works that were translated into English.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 30, 2013, 10:48:17 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 30, 2013, 09:39:55 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 30, 2013, 09:26:11 AM
How about the King James Bible? It had quite a cultural impact.

Its a translation and so considerable debate as to whether it should be included.  Also a bad translation.

All versions of the Bible are translations. 

No shit Sherlock

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Besides, some people couldn't follow the simple rules I posted as is.  We already got plays and poems put in.

Because a discussion of essential works of English literature that doesn't include Shakespeare is ridiculous. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2013, 10:51:31 AM

:huh:

There are tons of famous works that were translated into English.

If there are tons, list 512.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Well, the King James Bible gives you 66 right there.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive