News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gangnam style

Started by Martim Silva, November 13, 2012, 07:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I'm sure he's got a lot of stuff like this his background. He had a really edgy rep before Gangnam style made him big.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/08/gangnam-rile-psys-past-anti-american-performances-stir-controversy/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2012, 01:03:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 26, 2012, 09:19:24 AM
What's interesting is the chatter that this might help K-Pop get a leg into American mainstream. I wonder how that will play out as it is seems like this could easily just be a one off. I don't think anyone is suggesting this song is good - just kinda fun in a quirky way. :unsure:

I think that's optimistic on behalf of K-Pop.

I mean, they have slick production values and they do some catchy tunes once in a while, but I'd be surprised if people got into listening to non-English lyrics. Minimum requirement for entry is someone who is fluent in English, which is not impossible. Even so, I think it's a long shot. Unless you're British, you have to basically pass as American to make it in the US mainstream music market.

If American TV viewers had taken to Korean TV dramas, then maybe... as it is now... doubt it very much.

I've heard a fair few idiots talk about it helping K-pop break through in the west.
Pretty much agree that its a one off and people aren't going to start listening to foreign music. And if people did start listening to foreign music surely Latin American or some sort of European music would have the best chance.

Though this Psy guy does speak pretty good English. Wouldn't be beyond the pale for him to try and put together an English album. Might be able to get a tiny bit of a success I think. Not much though.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

It's possible to market foreign language music in the US--look at The Gypsy Kings.  Unfortunately for K-pop, there's no precedent in the bubblegum segment.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2012, 06:24:57 PM
It's possible to market foreign language music in the US--look at The Gypsy Kings.  Unfortunately for K-pop, there's no precedent in the bubblegum segment.
But there's a large Latinos community still speaking spanish in the US, no?  They already have a wide consumer base, where as Korean pop would need to start from zero.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 09, 2012, 06:40:49 AM
I'm sure he's got a lot of stuff like this his background. He had a really edgy rep before Gangnam style made him big.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/08/gangnam-rile-psys-past-anti-american-performances-stir-controversy/

My middle sister and her husband are quite miffed, and my brother in law commented that it's no surprise that Obama gave him such a warm welcome then.

Bear in mind that 10 years ago my sister proudly shared a story how she shocked "stupid Americans" by not getting up to salute the German flag when all the American soldiers did and telling them off that Germany had learned her lesson about flag waving patriotism. She was married to her current husband for 10+ years already at the time. Then again she quite liked Hispanics before she lived in El Paso and Blacks before she lived in North Carolina.  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Alcibiades

Sounds like a keeper.   :swiss:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on December 10, 2012, 11:04:26 AM
But there's a large Latinos community still speaking spanish in the US, no?  They already have a wide consumer base, where as Korean pop would need to start from zero.

I don't think the success of The Gypsy Kings had anything to do with Latinos.  I'd be willing to bet more gringos listened to them than did Latinos. 

And there are a lot of Koreans in the US now.

Jacob

I think if we see US appreciation for K-drama, then maybe K-pop has a chance; but I don't see that happening.

IMO, Gagnam style was a novelty hit in the vein of the Macarena et. al.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2012, 02:19:10 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 10, 2012, 11:04:26 AM

I don't think the success of The Gypsy Kings had anything to do with Latinos.  I'd be willing to bet more gringos listened to them than did Latinos. 

Yeah, they were a big hit here.  Very low latino population and all.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Jacob on December 10, 2012, 02:30:04 PM
I think if we see US appreciation for K-drama, then maybe K-pop has a chance; but I don't see that happening.

IMO, Gagnam style was a novelty hit in the vein of the Macarena et. al.

My wife digs the show "Pasta".  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

So of all ad spots, didn't think Psy would use his song to shill for pistachios.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also, crack your nuts now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2013, 05:40:29 PM
So of all ad spots, didn't think Psy would use his song to shill for pistachios.

You're a little behind the times Garbo - that spot debuted back at the Superbowl.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2013, 09:12:59 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2013, 05:40:29 PM

You're a little behind the times Garbo - that spot debuted back at the Superbowl.

I never see commercials till Hulu decides to show them to me. -_-

Lately it's been telling me about disneyworld and that I can watch exo squad on Hulu.